Distance markers on the Overland - what next

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Distance markers on the Overland - what next

Postby philm » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 7:43 am

I was travelling on a plane yesterday and was speaking to a lady who had just completed the Cape to Cape walk in WA. In talking she mentioned they had completed the Overland Track earlier this month and said they had a terrible time!
I asked why and she proceeded to tell me that there was rain all the way, mud and on the first day they even had snow. They decided to skip a hut and walk from New Pelion to Windy Ridge in one day.

Given the conditions she said they ended up in the forest when it was turning dark so had to set up tents in a terrible spot. She then made the statement it is crazy they don't have distance markers on the track and that it is really underdeveloped! She said she would not go to Tasmania again walking!

I politely asked her if she had considered the 3 Capes luxury walk as an alternative as it seemed she was not the sort to tackle the Overland.

The whole conversation had me thinking about how ill informed she was - not expecting rain, snow, mud in Tasmania - especially in April! Her expectations that the track be further developed with distance markers - why not use a map, compass and or GPS?

The whole attraction of Tasmania is in part the great challenge and the weather is a key part of this.

Perhaps a track grading system should be introduced - 3 Capes - Gold class, Overland Track - Bronze etc.

There is a careful balance required here to balance people's (unrealistic) expectations and track development. Lets keep the tracks raw - I think there is already plenty of options for the fair weather walkers.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Distance markers on the Overland - what next

Postby bumpingbill » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 9:58 am

It wouldn't be hard - or costly - to add distance markers to the signs that already exist along the track. And she is right, it would make it far more "user friendly". There is "your day ahead" information in the huts already, so someone has previously realised that it's something people want.

It's common elsewhere, and if done correctly can be used to provide additional information like what mountains are around, etc. etc.

That said, no matter what you do you can't avoid situations like the woman you met had. She probably didn't do enough research and her expectations weren't met. It'll happen. What can you do?

EDIT: It's also probably worth pointing our that the idea of distance markers isn't something that's been announced as being under consideration by Parks. It's really just an idea of a lady you were talking to on a plane. I only say this, because the thread title "what next" and the comment "Lets keep the tracks raw - I think there is already plenty of options for the fair weather walkers" could imply that there is an active official proposal up for debate. :)
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 3:10 pm

As for the not being aware of mud, snow, rain - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I think Parks do what they can in this regard.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Snowzone » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 3:48 pm

philm wrote:I was travelling on a plane yesterday and was speaking to a lady who had just completed the Cape to Cape walk in WA. In talking she mentioned they had completed the Overland Track earlier this month and said they had a terrible time!
I asked why and she proceeded to tell me that there was rain all the way, mud and on the first day they even had snow. They decided to skip a hut and walk from New Pelion to Windy Ridge in one day.

Given the conditions she said they ended up in the forest when it was turning dark so had to set up tents in a terrible spot. She then made the statement it is crazy they don't have distance markers on the track and that it is really underdeveloped! She said she would not go to Tasmania again walking!

There is a careful balance required here to balance people's (unrealistic) expectations and track development. Lets keep the tracks raw - I think there is already plenty of options for the fair weather walkers.

I'm happy enough if she doesn't want to walk in Tassie again. After all you cannot force people to enjoy the beauty of such a special environment that remains true to itself in all its elements. I think this lady would detract from that natural beauty and I am more than glad to not be sharing it with her if that is the way she feels.
Snowzone

Region: Victoria

Postby dazintaz » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 8:32 pm

Pelion Hut - Too mouldy and too big
Kia Ora - Too small
Narcissus - No comment
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 8:40 pm

dazintaz wrote:Pelion Hut - Too mouldy and too big
Kia Ora - Too small
Narcissus - No comment

Dan have you been to Narcissus since the recent refit? It's very welcoming.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ant71 » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 4:46 pm

Distance markers dose sound like a good idea it would help if the wether turns bad you would have an idea whether to bunker down or push on. But on the other subject of not expecting rain, mud and snow i do not get that at all there is so much information to inform anyone of what to except. I just don get that i am doing it for the first time in September and i am reading everything i can anyway thats just my 2 cents worth
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 8:40 am

Snowzone wrote:I'm happy enough if she doesn't want to walk in Tassie again.

+1
In fact, it would be great if we could prevent people like that from ever visiting.
Presumably she paid for a track pass. They get a pile of info with that including at least a basic map, don't they? Plus there are maps and plenty of info in the huts. Maybe reading lessons would have helped.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby philm » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 8:50 am

Yes you can't protect people against themselves. When I said that the Overland was one of the more straight forward walks and that the mud experienced was not that bad compared to other walks in Tassie she was surprised! I suggested she consider day walks in the city as this may be more appropriate to meet her expectations!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 9:00 am

Send her in to Junction Creek or Lake Judd and see how she copes. :twisted:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby zac150 » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm not sure distance markers would cause other issues as in my opinion, distance markers would be useless to those who know how to use them and dangerous for those who don't. Due to the various surfaces of the overland track and different conditions, mud, rain, snow and sunshine I found our pace varied greatly from day to day. On most walks around Kosci our group consistently walks around 4.5km an hour but on the overland track it varied greatly as we hit snow, mud and rocky paths.

Saying there is 2km to go could be dangerous as groups think let's push on its only half an hour only to find their pace has dropped and really it is an hour plus a way.

If people have maps, gps and knowledge of their pace they won't need a sign post
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:13 am

philm wrote:I asked why and she proceeded to tell me that there was rain all the way, mud and on the first day they even had snow.

Good slushies for drinking, soft landings on knees, fun & snowmen! Sounds pretty much perfect to me :?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain