Feedback on OT schedule

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Feedback on OT schedule

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 1:27 am

I've just started to plan the Overland track for December 2015 and because of the costs involved (most of it non refundable), I would like to have some feedback before I finalize it.

The schedule:
Sunday: Fly to Launceston and stay there for the night (hotel)
Monday: Bus (TassieLink) from Launceston (8.15 am) to Cradle Mountain (11.20 am) and start to Waterfall Valley 10.7 km

Sunday: Fly to Launceston and take commercial transport to Cradle Mountain (looking at Outdoor Tasmania)
Monday: Early start to have time for Cradle Mountain and to Waterfall Valley
Tuesday: Waterfall Valley to Lake Windermere 7.8 km
Wednesday: Lake Windermere to Pelion 16.8 km
Thursday: Pelion to Kia Ora 8.6 km
Friday: Kia Ora to Windy Ridge (Bert Nichols Hut) 9.6 km
Saturday: Windy Ridge to Echo Point (don't know how many km)
Sunday: Ferry from Echo Point to Cynthia Bay Walk to Cynthia Bay in the morning
Monday return to Hobart or Launceston to fly out

My questions (for now):
- I expect I'll be on the trail Monday morning early before 1 pm on Monday, is that feasible?
- Any recommended side trips? Don't want to do them all, but is there a "must do" that doesn't require an extra day?
- How far is it from Windy Ridge to Echo Point?
- There's no Tassie-Link back on Monday, any recommendations for transport back to an airport?

I appreciate all help, tips and advise.

[edit] Changed schedule based on advise.
Last edited by Johnnie Walker on Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Re: Feedback on OT schedule

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 8:15 am

Most of these are short days, with three to four hours walking max, so most of the shorter sidetrips are doable, depending on the weather.

You may not have enough time to summit Cradle, depending on what time you start walking, but if you do, go for it. Lake Will is a short sidetrip and worth the effort, although Innes Falls probably a bit too much (this extension is usually very muddy). Barn Bluff is brilliant but you don't have the time in that schedule.
Pelion West is too far, but Oakleigh or Ossa would be possible - both if you leave Windermere early enough and do Oakleigh after reaching New Pelion. You don't even have to go all the way to the highest point, just reaching the main plateau gives you some wonderful views. Pelion East is only a short sidetrip from Pelion Gap and good fun. There's plenty of time to visit some of the falls, and they can be spectacular - in fact, you'd find that leg a bit on the boring side if you don't.

Allow two hours for Windy Fridge to Narcissus, and maybe a little more for Narcissus to Echo Point. Sunday I'd suggest a wander up Rufus once you get back to Cynthia Bay.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby MrWalker » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 8:26 am

Windy Ridge to Narcissus is 9.5km and is relatively flat. Although I've done it in 2 hrs that was with a day-pack. Allow three hrs.
You could go from Windy Ridge to Pine Valley instead (3 hrs) and spend Saturday afternoon there. Then Sunday morning to Narcissus to catch the midday ferry in time for the afternoon bus to Hobart.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 8:41 am

I just read in another topic that it took someone 2.5 hours from Narcissus to Echo Point so with the app. 3 hours from Windy Ridge to Narcissus that makes around 5 to 6 hours.

On Sunday / Monday we stay at Lake St. Clair so we need transport on Monday, I'll check the commercial ones as Tassie-Link doesn't service LSC on Monday.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby philm » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 8:45 am

Most of your trip is standard. Given the later start you may not have time for any side trips - up Cradle Mountain.

The other option for you at the end of the trip will be to go from Windy Ridge to Echo Point and stay there? The either the ferry out or walk out?

I'd recommend Ossa side trip if the weather is good.

The other option may be to have a big day 1 and walk from the start of the track to Lake Windermere Hut. This will save you a day and you could go to Pine Valley (about half way between Windy Ridge and Lake St Clair.) This is also a great spot.

Definately do the falls as suggested between Kia Ora and Windy ridge.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby canthardlywait » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 9:09 am

Looks like you probably won't have time to get up Cradle Mountain the first day with a start at 1pm. I did the track last month and stayed at the Waldheim cabins the night before, and we had plenty of time to summit cradle and then make our way down to Waterfall Valley.

Windy Ridge to Echo Point, It's about 2-2.5 hours from Windy to Narcissus, then another 1.5-2 hours onto Echo. Echo is amazing and definitely worth staying at. The walk out to Lake St Clair is then about 2.5-3 hours. You could time it so that you can catch the bus out on the Sunday.
canthardlywait
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 9:33 am

Changed the schedule. Going straight to Cradle Mountain on Sunday so we can have an early start on Monday.
Echo Point for the night is for sure, place looks stunning.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby RonK » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 9:44 am

Transport options from Lake St Clair are limited. When available leave is short what has worked best for me is to plan the walk around the Tassielink schedules.

That means flying in to Launceston and out from Hobart. You need to check this service is still available - Tassielink carried my travel bags to Hobart and held them at the terminal for me to collect after the walk.

I have comfortably reached Waterfall Valley after getting the bus from Launceston, even with snow squalls and snow drifts over the track. And in December you'll have a long twilight so no pressure at all really.

After that, each hut is a comfortable distance for most walkers, with Lake Windemere to New Pelion the longest. You should have time for a few sidetrips - Lake Innes perhaps, Mt Ossa and some of the waterfalls south of Kia Ora.

Having reached Echo Point it would seem a shame not to walk the final few kilometers to Cynthia Bay. The ferry ride down the lake is worthy in its own right, but no sense walking to Echo Point if you are going to take it, so camp and board at Narcissus.
RonK

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 9:58 am

RonK wrote:Having reached Echo Point it would seem a shame not to walk the final few kilometers to Cynthia Bay. The ferry ride down the lake is worthy in its own right, but no sense walking to Echo Point if you are going to take it, so camp and board at Narcissus.

Thanks Ron, another change. I just realized that it's only a few kilometers to Cynthia Bay and it saves us waiting for the ferry (or missing the ferry). Maybe we can hop on the afternoon ferry for a round trip / scenic tour. I'll ask them.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:29 am

Having just been to the area this past summer, I'd suggest that Narcissus area is far more interesting than Echo Pt. As such, it would make more sense to stay at Narcissus and explore and photograph the surrounding area. Then, you can decide on the ferry or walk back to Cynthia Bay via Echo Pt. Check out DanShell's excellent recent Youtube series for a guide of the areas. BTW, the ferry costs a bit.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19871
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:39 am

Day 2 is a very short day, with only the Lake Wills sidetrip en route. I found this sidetrip not particularly exciting, another option could be to head up Barn Bluff from Waterfall Valley (some backtracking) in the morning, then walking on to the next hut after lunch with your packs. Some walkers squish day 2 and 3 together, but you have plenty of time and there's no need to rush.

Mt Ossa is spectacular, but if the weather is fine EVERYONE does it. Mt Oakleigh (from Pelion Hut) is another great option, and you are less likely to be swamped by people on it. As NNW has said, you don't need to follow the plateau all the way around to the true summit, once you reach the rocky section up top there are great views everywhere. Most groups will also visit the waterfalls on day 5. When we were on this section of the OT, the weather was wet and misty and we really enjoyed the forest scenery.

Glad to hear you are taking in Echo Point - the campsite there is lovely, the forest between Narcissus and Echo Point is great, and at a few spots you can pop out on the lake shore on the way. Because many walkers opt for a ferry ride out, there's also far fewer people than the rest of the OT.

EDIT: windy ridge to echo point is 15.2 km, then another 9.5 km back to cynthia bay.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Johnnie Walker » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 3:31 pm

It's all finalized. We start walking on Monday morning December 14 and the plan is to be in Lake St. Clair on Sunday arvo December 20.

Arranging transport from any airport to Cradle on Sunday December 13 and from Lake St. Clair to any airport on Monday December 21 seems to be the hardest part. No luck yet with any of the commercial operators, their times don't work with any of my flights.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Johnnie Walker » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 10:18 am

We'll stay in Launceston the last night and fly out on Tuesday, none of the transport options was going to be on time for my 5 pm flight.
Last edited by Johnnie Walker on Mon 07 Sep, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Addymack77 » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 6:31 pm

It's good it worked out I've taken a few groups up there and picked them up 10 days later from the other end if you get stuck let us no there is a bit of a chill up there now lucky you picked a nice time of the year to walk all the best
Addymack77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: shuttle bus

Postby canthardlywait » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 10:12 am

Make sure you have time to get fuel/gas for your stove in Launceston. There are plenty of outdoor shops around.
canthardlywait
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Johnnie Walker » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 6:27 pm

canthardlywait wrote:Make sure you have time to get fuel/gas for your stove in Launceston. There are plenty of outdoor shops around.

Thanks for the tip.
I can't edit the schedule in my opening post anymore but because transport to Cradle Mountain leaves at 8 am on Sunday we fly to Launceston on Saturday morning so we have time to shop and visit the local brewery :D
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain