overland track campsites

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

overland track campsites

Postby sarge » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 11:31 am

We are planning to walk overland track and explore pine valley in Jan. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether you are allowed to camp at places other than the 6 official camp sites and huts?

I realise the Parks and Wildlife Service discourage this (assume due to environmental impact of everyone camping wherever they please), however we want to explore parts of the track less visited and it would be more feasible if we can camp a few nights in other areas that are slightly more off the beaten track so to speak as this will be our second visit.

Also can anyone recommend any good campsites near pine valley? - we want to avoid the main hut area as last time we visited it was extremely crowded (this may have been because it was a long weekend though).
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi all...

When replying to this post, please heed the forum rule to avoid publicly posting details of access to trackless and sensitive spots. Such information could be considered controversial by some and should be sent to the original poster by private message.

Replies with details of official tracks, and official camping areas can be posted here publicly.

Sarge... check your private messages for my contribution. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 12:47 pm

I find that although P&W discourage things like off-track walking, and camping in sensitive areas, you can approach them, chat with the senior ranger, take your 1:25000 map with you, introduce yourself and advise your level of experience, your belief and adherance to minimal impact walking, and show them on the map what you have in mind, and see what they suggest.
You will then find out whether it really is a super-sensitive area that they need to keep people off, or whether they might be able to recommend something.
It could be that "if people see a tent in a certain area then everyone will want to camp there" which creates too big a problem for them.
I've never yet met a ranger that was any less than very friendly and approachable. It would be better to talk with the senior ranger if possible, though.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 06 Oct, 2007 7:49 pm

That's good advice Adam. I think most of the rangers would be reasonable if you're reasonable with them.

Incidentally, if I'm camping in a non-designated camping area, I always make sure it's not visible from the track, and far enough away so that talking can't be heard from the track.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 11:43 am

Son of a Beach wrote:if I'm camping in a non-designated camping area, I always make sure .....

And making sure it looks like nobody has been there, which really should go without saying.
Thought I would mention that as this is a public forum after all...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Re: overland track campsites

Postby flyfisher » Sun 11 May, 2008 11:30 am

There is a lovely campsite a few hundred metres from Pelion Hut ,on the track towards
Lake Eyre. It's flat and grassy with the creek only 50 m away

Cheers FlyFisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby corvus » Sun 11 May, 2008 7:03 pm

This is a no camping area it is too close to Douglas Creek as the sign on the track just outside the back door of the Hut states .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 11 May, 2008 8:06 pm

corvus wrote:This is a no camping area it is too close to Douglas Creek as the sign on the track just outside the back door of the Hut states .
corvus

Yeah, it used to be a popular camping area, but it's been overused, and I think the main problem these days, is that it's down-stream from a part of the creek that get's used (especially during the time of the old-new Pelion Hut) for all sorts of things including swimming and washing. Additionally, the large numbers of people that used it did a lot of their own swimming/washing/etc in it. Makes for a concentrated area of fouled creek water.

It's a bit sad, because it looked like it would otherwise have been a very nice (and large) area for pitching tents. But I can understand the reasoning (assuming my guesses are right).

In general, camping anywhere near huts, other than designated camp sites, is no longer allowed on the Overland Track. I think it's mostly because it degrades the areas, because of the sheer numbers of people who would otherwise use them.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Sun 11 May, 2008 8:24 pm

Sorry about that one Corvus,my mistake :oops: :oops:
When i camped there was in 2002 and we walked up through Lees Paddocks and up the Reedy Lake track.
We pitched our tent there near another one then went up to the hut later for a bit of a look, having not been there before. :?
Looks like I'll have to swat up on the regs before I venture that way again :wink:

Cheers FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby corvus » Sun 11 May, 2008 9:18 pm

G'day FF ,
Next time you want to do it give me a shout and we two old farts can amble up there together :)
Gees that's an other long weekend gone, alternatively I have an RDO one Friday a month so if we can co ordinate we could spend the night at Lees Fri (its a long walk to Pelion after a long drive in one day for you) then up to Pelion Sat ,do Oakleigh on Sun then head back Mon or skip the Mountain and come out on Sunday either way it would be a good trip and anyone else interested please post your intent.

corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain