Windermere Hut Plaque

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Windermere Hut Plaque

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 9:27 am

Just near the entrance to Windermere hut on the balcony, I noticed a small memorial plaque.

It was a tribute to Glenn someone, but I can't remember what the surname was. I have a faint recollection of Glenn Miller, but then that's probably just because of the musician.

Anyway, the plaque was in this man's memory and said something like "perished near this place in 1977".

Unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo, and Google is giving me nothing. These stories always completely fascinate me, like Clare Hutcheson at Pine Valley.

Any one have any further info, like the full name and details of what happened?
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Windermere Hut Plaque

Postby norts » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 9:40 am

I dont have all the details but here is what I remember.
He was a student from a mainland school who persished between, Waterfall Valley and Windermere. In those days there was only the old WFV hut so when the party arrived at WFV it was full so they pushed on to Windermere and he died of hypothermia.
This tragedy precipitated the building of the the Cirque Hut as a back up to WFV.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:20 am

This is taken from Nic Haygarth's book "A View to Cradle" (p. 193)

Whether the ranger should have the legal power of veto over walkers remained a matter of debate in 1971, when 15-year-old Melbourne visitor Glen Matters perished in a November snowstorm near Windermere Hut. Against the advice of ranger Joseph Otterli, Matters' weakened party of 21 decided to continue south rather than crowd out the Waterfall Valley hut.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks all. Can always rely on bushwalk.com!
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Ent » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for that whynotwalk as I was not aware of the particular story but it does back ground why my parents were so keen to reinforce safety as this would have followed on from the tragedy of Scott-Kilvertt. Back in the sixty/seventies it appears that such stories become major news for a longer time than nowadays.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain