Tas Photos in Aus competition & Photo Competition Ideas

Vote for and discuss the entries in the regular and ad-hoc photo competitions. Instructions for entering competitions are also here.
Forum rules
Please avoid commenting on individual competition entries before the associated poll has closed, so as to avoid influencing other voters.

TO ENTER THE CURRENT MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION, go to the Photo Competition entry page and upload your picture using the entry form there. Each competition is open for entries from the 20th of the month to the 19th of the following month. The rules of each competition are on the same page as the entry form.

The entry form page can also be used to review and/or replace existing entries.

This forum is for competition voting and discussion only - not for submitting entries.

Note that only moderators can create new topics in this forum.

Re: Tas Photos in Aus competition & Photo Competition Ideas

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 4:14 pm

jcr_au wrote:Would it not be sufficient to include a rider on the entry page that by entering the competition the member certifies that the photo was taken in the (insert Tas or Aus/NZ) and then we have to trust each other.

We aren't playing for sheep stations here are we

That is the current situation (it's in the rules, and the rules are on the entry page). I'm content with it that way, but it appears that some are not.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 4:18 pm

I am not sure who is not happy with stating where the photo is from, but I thought it was just a case that you have had to enquire of a few who had forgotten to do this?
ie it was an inadvertant ommission?

The suggestion of forcing a vote at login during the voting period would certainly improve the numbers voting - very significantly..
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:56 pm

Yeah sorry eggs... I was probably stretching thing there. You're correct. However, there is no organized enforcement of that rule, and therefore it is often up to the voters if they accept an entry and vote for it. This is not ideal, but it's what we've got for now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:39 pm

johnw wrote:Firstly congratulations Taurë-rana (on both wins) with excellent shots :). Where was Clear Reflections taken, specifically?
Thanks John. Clear Reflections which, on reflection, should at least have been "Clear" Reflections, was taken from Lake Gordon looking at Clear Hill, which is reflected!

johnw wrote: I'd like to suggest a standard way of identification, particularly for the AUS/NZ comp. I struggled with trying to guess where a couple of photos were from this month. For me the locality is a key piece of information. I think it would be a good idea to standardise descriptions by prefixing each entry with state/location and then provide further description as desired by the entrant. For example:

SA - Flinders Ranges. Wilpena Pound on a nice day.
TAS - Tarn Shelf, Mt Field NP. Fagus at its best.

You get the idea. Just my 2 cents.

I think this is a good idea.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 8:59 pm

Just call me sour grapes during this discussion.

The problem with Tassie photos in the Australian comp is that it gives Tassie members the option of a double dip. Which isn't really fair.
Unfortunately, I can't see any of the options for remedying that being widely acceptable (or else it'd be too difficult to organise):
1) Separate Tasmania and Rest of Australia comps.
2) One entry per member per month, can be in either comp.
3) One Tasmanian shot per member per month, can be entered in either comp.
4) Mainland members get two shots per month in Australian comp.

Don't know that I'm keen on compulsory voting, either. An automatic reminder to every member that the comps are open for voting, perhaps.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby johnw » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:10 am

Taurë-rana wrote:Thanks John. Clear Reflections which, on reflection, should at least have been "Clear" Reflections, was taken from Lake Gordon looking at Clear Hill, which is reflected!

Reflecting on this again, thanks TR for making that clear to me! :wink:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Sun 09 May, 2010 8:28 am

north-north-west wrote:The problem with Tassie photos in the Australian comp is that it gives Tassie members the option of a double dip. Which isn't really fair.
I agree.

north-north-west wrote:Unfortunately, I can't see any of the options for remedying that being widely acceptable (or else it'd be too difficult to organise):
I agree with step 1.

north-north-west wrote:2) One entry per member per month, can be in either comp.
3) One Tasmanian shot per member per month, can be entered in either comp.
Not quite agreeing with this, better "One Tasmanian entry per member per month in the Tasmanian comp, also One non-Tasmanian entry per month per member in the Aus/NZ comp. This gives people scope to share their photographic talents if they are lucky enough to go walking in Tassie and in Aus/NZ in the same month.

north-north-west wrote:4) Mainland members get two shots per month in Australian comp.
This is an interesting point, it brings to mind an idea, how about up to two entries per member per month in each competition?
Though, we'd need more people voting to get a clear result if we had so many pics in the one comp. At the moment the numbers for the Aus/NZ comp are low, so anything to get more entries there would be a bonus. Rules can always be changed later if we start getting many entries.

north-north-west wrote:Don't know that I'm keen on compulsory voting, either. An automatic reminder to every member that the comps are open for voting, perhaps.
Agree, I don't like "compulsory". Nobody likes being told what to do.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby jcr_au » Sun 09 May, 2010 1:19 pm

tasadam wrote:
north-north-west wrote:The problem with Tassie photos in the Australian comp is that it gives Tassie members the option of a double dip. Which isn't really fair.
I agree.

north-north-west wrote:Unfortunately, I can't see any of the options for remedying that being widely acceptable (or else it'd be too difficult to organise):
I agree with step 1.

That seems a better option to me. I think the competitions need to be separate geographically, but if anyone is lucky enough to walk in the two areas in one month, good on them.

To increase voting participation perhaps there could be a direct link on the home page that would take you directly to the current competition, much they same as the bold link to the previous months winner. If its made easier I'm sure more would participate
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Photo Competitions