QLD WMS/ WMTS digital map data into OSMand?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

QLD WMS/ WMTS digital map data into OSMand?

Postby Off-track » Sun 17 Mar, 2024 9:42 am

Has anyone worked out how to use the Qld Spatial tile server for maps in OSMand? I made a start, but I need some help from the digital mapping experts to get it working.

OSMand requires provision of information needed to access the WMS/WMTS server. The information has to be in a file named .metainfo which must be located in a sub-directory within the OSMand tiles directory. This can be a bit tricky in Android 14, as write access to the app data directory is blocked except to the app, but with adb enabled it can be done through a connected PC (when the phone is reconnected after each file copy). For me in a Samsung A15 running Android 14 this means going to Settings>About phone>Software information; then pressing Build Number 7 times to become "a developer" (Developer Options then appear under Settings, but do not need to be changed).

For example, for the NSW LPI data (provided as an option by default in OSMand+):
The .metainfo file is under:
Internal storage\Android\data\net.osmand.plus\files\tiles\LPI NSW Topo Map (AU) The .metainfo file contains:
[url_template]
https://maps2.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/sixmaps/LPIMap/MapServer/tile/{0}/{2}/{1}?blankTile=false
[ext]
.png
[min_zoom]
[max_zoom]
[tile_size]
[img_density]
[avg_img_size]

From this, can anyone specify a [url_template] to access the QLD spatial data?

I made a sub-directory
Internal storage\Android\data\net.osmand.plus\files\tiles\Qtopo
and tried:
[url_template]
https://spatial-gis.information.qld.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/QldMap_Topo/MapServer/WMTS/

(this url worked in JOSM, but in OSMand it gave a bunch of 17kb tile files without map display), and I also tried:

[url_template]
https://spatial-gis.information.qld.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/QldMap_Topo/MapServer/WMTS/tile/{0}/{2}/{1}?blankTile=false
[ext]
.png
[min_zoom]
[max_zoom]
[tile_size]
[img_density]
[avg_img_size]

(which gave a blue grid but no maps / no tile files).

I tried a few other variants on [url_template] etc. with no luck.

The response so far from Qld spatial has not been helpful ("use the Qtopo geoPDF files in Avenza").
Hopefully someone among the digital mapping experts in the forum can advise.
Last edited by Off-track on Mon 18 Mar, 2024 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: QLD WMS/ WMTS digital map data into OSMand?

Postby Off-track » Sun 17 Mar, 2024 3:05 pm

This works (thanks to some earlier posts by ken333):

[url_template]
https://spatial-gis.information.qld.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/QldMap_Topo/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}
[ext]
.png
[min_zoom]
[max_zoom]
[tile_size]
[img_density]
[avg_img_size]
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: QLD WMS/ WMTS digital map data into OSMand?

Postby Off-track » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 5:50 pm

The developers have put a lot of work into OSMand since I last looked. You can still get it free/for donation from the developers or F-droid (and there is now a slightly less capable iOS version), or pay on Google Play for a version that works under Android auto, or subscribe for access to download tracks etc from a PC version. It is a very good road navigator (eg to get to the trail-head), but it still lacks custom icon capability (good to have) and I can not find how to get it to show a bearing to the next waypoint in route navigation (it has a widget that shows only the bearing to the final destination). This is a deal-breaker for off-track use, so I have uninstalled. +1 for oruxmaps if you are happy to upload routes prepared on a computer.
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Techno-Babble