New solar blanket and MPPT regulator query

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

New solar blanket and MPPT regulator query

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 3:04 pm

Just purchased and everything seems to be working.
BUT
The controller has three sets of terminals, one input from the panels, one output to the battery and a third set of terminals with what looks like a lightbulb icon. I don't know what this terminal is for, can anybody more knowledgeable about solar controllers assist me in learning more?
What's this other set of terminals actually for?
User manual tells my nothing
https://voltx.com.au/products/voltx-12v-200-m
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: New solar blanket and MPPT regulator query

Postby icefest » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 3:29 pm

Load.
That way the MPPT can work out the battery voltage separate from the voltage drop caused by the load and in some models also disconnect the load when the battery voltage is too low.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 3:31 pm

Right hand side of your manual:
Screenshot 2024-03-16 162918.png
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 3:43 pm

Not in the manual enclosed with the unit. OK So now I see it online but how does it work?

I'm using a Kings battery box and any load is taken from the battery via the big black plastic box
Not my area of expertise, first time with big lithium batteries
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 3:58 pm

MPPT chargers have optimised battery charging. this means that depending on voltage of battery they may push different current.

If you connect a load to the battery directly then the MPTT can't tell and thinks the battery is charging and may under or overcharge your battery.

If you only use the battery at night then it's not relevant but this system allows you to use the battery or solar during the day,
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 4:17 pm

So the connection can handle the direct output of the battery too?
OK probably not relevant when I'm using it for the CPAP machine but needed if I connect a fridge?
Small terminal tho, I'll contact them and ask what the current rating of that connection is in case I need to run a high current device.
I usually use oversized cables to allow for voltage drop using the marine tables for critical load. The connection between batteries is going to be upgraded from 10mm<2mm wire to 25mm<2 wire [6mm conductor diameter] and other connections are going to be as large as I can reasonable afford, I've got some left-over 5mm<2 twisted pair stuff I can use, heavy duty speaker cable for longish runs
Thanx Icefest
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sun 17 Mar, 2024 9:41 am

Moondog55 wrote:So the connection can handle the direct output of the battery too?

Given the lack of information in the manual I'd not risk it. Phone the help line on the guarantee card? If they don't know then
I'd not trust an unspecified device with high currents ... can lead to fires. If I did not know the specification of the device I'd wire direct to the battery....

Anderson plugs/sockets come in various sizes... 50 Amp looks to be common... they do go upwards ... 350 Amp https://www.andersonplug.com.au/

Note the Anderson connector colour denotes the physical keying .. different colours will not mate with one another.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 17 Mar, 2024 10:24 am

Emailed the help line and I am expecting a phone call on Monday.\
Re the Anderson plugs, yes, when I was driving a small truck my jumper leads were set-up using a 350Ampere Anderson plug using welding cable and the mating plug was secured to the chassis and directly wired to the battery using the same welding cable
You can fit a cable of 6mm diametre into the 50-Amp Anderson but 4mm is more common
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble