Hiking food in import stores

Food topics, including recipes.

Hiking food in import stores

Postby flingebunt » Sun 16 May, 2021 10:59 am

There is already a great discussion about hiking food in supermarkets. But in Australia we tend to eat a lot of fresh food, so we have far less processed food than other countries. But I have found a number of great options in East Asian grocery stores, India grocery stores and European delis. Would love to hear of other people's finds.

I wanted to start the discussion with an interesting Sri Lankan find in an India grocery store.

It is soya meat. The photo is roast chicken and the flavour pack is delicious. Being a Buddhist country they often eat vegetarian on holy days, so the need for fake meat flavours. They have 2 vegetable flavours, 2 chicken, lamb and shrimp. The vegetarian I tried was a bit dull while the roast chicken is delicious.

One packet is 90 grams, but as they are dehydrated you only need about 1/3 of that to be the same as say a can of tuna or pouch of beans.

You are meant to soak them in hot water for 10 minutes, drain them, then add in the flavour satchel. I have tried cold soaking for the same amount of time with no problem, and you can eat them dry as a snack if you like (but will soak up liquid in your stomach, dehydrating you a bit).

The best bit is the lightness and the flavour satchels. The texture is okay, and if not soaked properly, the texture is al little chewie.

The method that seems to work the best for my tastes is to combine plain instant couscous, 1/3 of the soya meat balls from a packet, 1/3 of the flavour satchel today, then add hot or cold water and leave soak for 10 minutes. The result is easy to prepare, but getting the right amount of water is important, or the couscous is too soggy or the soya meat balls a little chewie. But made up for by the flavour satchels.

I can also imagine throwing these into an instant noodle soup or other meal.

Interesting in what other people have found in their local specialty grocery store.
Attachments
soya meat IMG20210428131339.jpg
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking food in import stores

Postby Tortoise » Sun 16 May, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks, Flingebunt. Looks interesting. We don't have too many specialty grocery stores in NW Tassie (!), but there might be in Lonnie or Hobart. Anyone know?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby flingebunt » Sun 16 May, 2021 6:13 pm

Tortoise wrote:Thanks, Flingebunt. Looks interesting. We don't have too many specialty grocery stores in NW Tassie (!), but there might be in Lonnie or Hobart. Anyone know?

According to Google Maps, there is one Asian grocery store in Burnie and a few in Hobart. Also, check out the import section in your local Woolworths.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 16 May, 2021 7:03 pm

I love the Asian grocers although in most cases, I have no idea what I'm looking at. They have so many comfort foods from so many nations, not even the store owner knows what they are. They tend to only know about the food from their country.

The 2-8 minute noddles are way better than usual (just boil and wait) and they have a lot of dried foods/condiments to help spice up an otherwise boring hiking diet.

I'll keep my eyes open for that Soya meat next time, cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby matagi » Sun 16 May, 2021 7:18 pm

Tortoise wrote:Thanks, Flingebunt. Looks interesting. We don't have too many specialty grocery stores in NW Tassie (!), but there might be in Lonnie or Hobart. Anyone know?

There's an Asian grocery store in Launceston (Tsing Wah) and also a Hazara one (Tasmanian Hazara Market).
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby flingebunt » Sun 16 May, 2021 8:58 pm

matagi wrote:There's an Asian grocery store in Launceston (Tsing Wah) and also a Hazara one (Tasmanian Hazara Market).

The best thing I found in middle eastern grocery stores is instant falafel mix. You just add water, wait 10 minutes, form it into falafel burgers, then shallow fry it in some oil.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flingebunt » Sun 16 May, 2021 9:00 pm

crollsurf wrote:I love the Asian grocers although in most cases, I have no idea what I'm looking at. They have so many comfort foods from so many nations, not even the store owner knows what they are. They tend to only know about the food from their country.

The 2-8 minute noddles are way better than usual (just boil and wait) and they have a lot of dried foods/condiments to help spice up an otherwise boring hiking diet.

I'll keep my eyes open for that Soya meat next time, cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I found some instant noodles at a Korean grocery store than they are made without the normal flash frying in trans fats. Not sure exactly how much healthier they actually are.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Sun 16 May, 2021 10:40 pm

flingebunt wrote:water is important, or the couscous is too soggy or the soya meat balls a little chewie.

Lot easier going soggy and adding Japanese 'Golden Curry' found in Coles. I went with the 'mild', I'll go 'medium hot' next time. I also home dehydrate broccoli and capsicum if you want to add some real veg.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby flingebunt » Mon 17 May, 2021 4:45 am

Warin wrote:Lot easier going soggy and adding Japanese 'Golden Curry' found in Coles. I went with the 'mild', I'll go 'medium hot' next time. I also home dehydrate broccoli and capsicum if you want to add some real veg.

Actually the Soya Meat Balls are great fried with vegetables. But for some soggy couscous I go with Korean Meat Balls. The brand pictured also have curries, chili pork and vegetables, teriyaki chicken, burger and more. A little heavy at 150 grams, but still good for an overnight hike. Eat them with couscous, mashed potatoes or with bread.
Attachments
IMG_20210517_043637.jpg
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rai » Mon 17 May, 2021 7:47 pm

matagi wrote:

There's an Asian grocery store in Launceston (Tsing Wah) and also a Hazara one (Tasmanian Hazara Market).

Saw the "soyameat" packets mentioned in flingebunt's post at the indian spice house grocer at Mowbray, Launceston, today. $1.90 a packet and various flavours. Haven't tried them out yet.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker