Best bang for BUCK Chocolate bar.

Food topics, including recipes.

Best bang for BUCK Chocolate bar.

Postby John Sheridan » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 9:58 pm

Just got me thinking the other day when I bought a Chokito bar and saw it had 1000 kj, I think it was 55 grams as well, and had fat and protein in it never kept the wrapper but it seems to have a big bang in it :)

Any other alternatives ?

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best bang for BUCK Chocolate bar.

Postby bushwalker zane » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 2:50 pm

Whittaker's chocolate! They sell little chocolate bars, 60grams? Anywho, I remember reading the 'nutritional information' on one of those, and from that moment on, swore I would only ever eat them when walking! They pack a punch for a small thing, very yummy too! Sometimes Woolies sells them 3 for $2, bargain!
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby climberman » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 3:47 pm

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consume ... NERGY-04DF

Just had a similar discussion on another forum.

Pretty much no actual food (ie, that isn't liquid oil) has as many kJ by weight as macadamia nuts. Chocolate covered macadamia nuts have less kJ/100g than pure macadamia nuts as the choccie can't keep up ! Macadamias are 3000kJ/100g. Pure peanut butter rates well also. Pecans, Pine nuts and walnuts also are high as well.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bushwalker zane » Mon 06 Aug, 2012 3:49 pm

climberman wrote:
Pretty much no actual food (ie, that isn't liquid oil) has as many kJ by weight as macadamia nuts. Chocolate covered macadamia nuts have less kJ/100g than pure macadamia nuts as the choccie can't keep up ! Macadamias are 3000kJ/100g. Pure peanut butter rates well also. Pecans, Pine nuts and walnuts also are high as well.

Pweee! Now if only I wasn't allergic to those nuts! Cashews do me well though.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 14 Aug, 2012 11:59 pm

climberman wrote:http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumerinformation/nuttab2010/nuttab2010onlinesearchabledatabase/onlineversion.cfm?&action=nutrientFoods&category=Proximates&nutrientID=ENERGY-04DF

Just had a similar discussion on another forum.

thanks for the tip climberman. I always knew about the macadamias, but never connected it to camping food. Will do from now!
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby climberman » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 9:39 pm

Kellogs website says 1830kJ/100g for LCM's.
climberman

Postby Pebbles » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 9:43 pm

I've often taken LCM's out with me. Made of rice bubbles so they are light, and high in energy including fat. 29g bar of the 4d chocolate flavour runs at 500kj.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Pebbles » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 10:51 am

This thread has got me thinking about kilojoules now, so I checked out one of my favourite musli bars that I take everywhere, and while it's not a chocolate bar, the content is impressive, and they are delicious.

Nature Valley bars, available at any supermarket, weigh 42g per serve, and contain between 788 and 833Kj, depending on the flavour. That's up to 1983Kj per 100g!
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 9:13 pm

climberman wrote:Macadamias are 3000kJ/100g.

That is incredibe!

I was looking at our 'emergency bars'. Sanitarium OSM (One Square Meal) Cranberry with Manuka Honey
They are, by comparison to the mighty mac, a measly 1710 kJ/100g
Per 'serving' (ie 2 bars@170g each) that's 2900kj - says on the pack it's 1/3 daily intake of energy, protein, fibre, 10 vits and 6 minerals
The packet states that they are low Glycaemic Index, no artifical flavours or colours, no trans fatty acids
9.8% protein, 13.7% fat (4.8 saturated), 5.95g fibre and 300mg salt/100g

Pebbles wrote:
Nature Valley bars, available at any supermarket, weigh 42g per serve, and contain between 788 and 833Kj, depending on the flavour. That's up to 1983Kj per 100g!

Are there more concentrated energy /meal bars than these?
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rob A » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 7:28 pm

Coles and Woolies have a good selection of body builder and athletes (and cuck that word between anführungszeichen) energy/protein bars. While you are probably better off with a vegemite sandwich or an old boiled egg, the bars are convenient in your pocket several days in and on those pre dawn in the rain pack ups where breakfast is a bit much to get your head around. Your body isnt stupid and you generally crave what you need. Sometimes they taste so good you bring one home to share after a good meal and .... ehhhhhhr.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Return to Bush Tucker