BWT Strollers - Yowies feedback?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

BWT Strollers - Yowies feedback?

Postby alliecat » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:35 am

I just saw the photos of the BWT Strollers' Waterfall Valley walk - it looks like it was an amazing trip, I'm sure you had a fantastic time. I was just wondering how the Yowies performed? Were they useful; invaluable; a pain; great; $300 worth of great? Any feedback would be useful.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: BWT Strollers - Yowies feedback?

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 9:50 am

I've only used Yowie's once, and they didn't do a good job of keeping my considerable bulk out of the snow. I feel they are overpriced- you can get other types- more traditional- WAY cheaper off the Net. But, please understand I've only used Yowies, and have no real experience with snowshoes.
the_camera_poser

Postby mag3000 » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 12:26 pm

I also have only tried Yowies once and didn't like them. With pack I weigh in at about 130 KG so they just aren't big enough, they also don't seem to perform that well on slopes.

I prefer the traditional 'Tubs' brand or the MSR 'Denalis' which are red plastic shoes with a black floatation piece that can be added at back if you need extra.

They also have aluminium cleats for ice and slopes.

I don't have any close-ups tbut the pic below was taken a couple of weekends ago on Ben Lomond which shows most of the shoes.

One other feature I find very useful on the MSR is the rubber straps that just need to be tightened and hooked over the buckle, very quick and easy.

And you can get them landed at your door from the US for about $250.

IMG_3167 crop (Small).jpg
IMG_3167 crop (Small).jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 7702 times
mag3000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sthughes » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:20 pm

I've never used any other snow shoes except the Yowies on our WFV trip. I found them quite good.

I was just wondering how the Yowies performed? Were they useful; invaluable; a pain; great; $300 worth of great?

In a few soft patches of snow we did sink a bit but then it was kinda the fact the snow was over sort of rocky scree ground - so the base under the snow was very unpredictable. Where the snow was smooth and consistant I had no problems.
They were definatly useful - would never have gone past Kitchen Hut (and probably not that far) without them.
So yes they were invaluable!
Yes they were also a pain! They are really comfortably but because you actually bend them as you walk i found it puts a bit extra strain on you archillies and feet. At days end I had lost a bit of skin on the back of my heal where it rubs on my boots. This was no big deal at all to me and next time I'd just tape my heal to avoid the potential issue. Some of the guys commented on the extra width causing a bit of soreness up in the hip muscles on the sides - not sure about this cause my crappy pack harness was causing me to much discomfort up there to notice! Basically with the exception of the minor skin loss I felt no ill effects from several hours walking in them (I'm 115kg or so with my pack).
Yep they are great in my books!
Yeah $300 bucks seems steep to me but then they are good and the only thing like them about.

Now I'm no snowshoe guru but I think the big advantage of Yowies is supposed to be the fact that your heal is strapped in and hence you wear them like ordinary shoes and have full agility. I mean you could just about dance in them without a problem - no practice required.
They're also pretty light, easy to fit, easy to remove, easy to attach to a pack, super grippy and so simple that nothing can go wrong.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 1:54 pm

I'd forgotten this- but someone I knew who was really into snow sports once told me Yowies were better for the wetter, softer snow conditions we have in Oz. That was years ago though, and I can't remember why.
the_camera_poser

Postby alliecat » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks guys. That certainly gives me food for thought.

The load bearing ability should be less of an issue for me, I'm usually under 100kg with full pack (duck's disease).

sthughes - interesting comments about the stress on the heel - that makes sense given the design, and "normal" snowshoes let you lift your heel so presumably that isn't an issue with those designs. But then, with a lifting heel you can't walk "normally" and have to lift the shoe over obstacles and to change direction. So I guess it's a trade off between the two styles of walking. Hmm. Lots to think about, but that's okay, I like thinking about gear :)

TCP - I think I recall similar comments on the net about yowies suiting wet slushy conditions; can't remember where though.

Thanks again guys.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tim » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 6:58 pm

Again, this doesn't really answer your direct question, but is in the same vein as some of the previous posts; MSR Denali shoes are tops. I found they got uncomfortable after some time walking across slope wearing stiff plastic boots, but you may find you have a bit more flex in leather hiking boots. If you are interested, there is a good review at the bottom of the page below:

http://www.army.gov.au/aaa/Equipment.htm

Cheers
tim
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alliecat » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 7:30 pm

Tim,

Thanks for that - interesting article. I looked up the specs on the MSR Denalis and they are only a little narrower and longer than the Yowies, but have the extended tails that can be fitted for deeper snow. They certainly sound promising. I'll look around for more reviews.

Cheers.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 7:39 pm

I was also a first time user ( like sth )on our Waterfall Valley trip and was pleasantly surprised at how easy the Yowies were to use first time. :D
I go about 120kg :shock: with pack on and didnt have too much trouble breaking through the snow except where there were holes under the snow from creeks etc. :)
They are easy enough to use and you soon get used to keeping your feet apart so you dont stand or walk with Yowies overlaping.
Like sth I also lost some skin of both heels :( but I had the heel straps quite tight and my boots (Aku Tiaga's)have a soft heel which allowed some pressure. :shock:
The grip is excellent in all sorts of terrain and a bonus is that when not being worn they are easy to attach to pack and not very heavy(about 1.5kg I think)
Not too bad fo the money and Corvus has had a pair for quite some without any breakage, so they should prove to be reliable. :D

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Penguin » Thu 07 Aug, 2008 7:52 pm

i agree with the others on the BWT walk. The Yowies are easy to use. Their flexibility made them useful on steps and on the snow covered duckboards. The Yowies fitted on the boots and did no damage to the boots. My feet did not suffer but my calves were tight at the end of the day. It is really hard work to walk on snow. I have not walked in other snowshoes so I have no idea whether they are better or worse.

The biggest fun ws on a long stretch of soft deep snow on the way to Lake Rodway. A cross between walking and skiing. Giant steps are what you take......
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rcaffin » Mon 06 Oct, 2008 8:34 pm

We have had a lot of fun around Kosciusko and Jagungal on Yowies.
Worn with New balance MT1110GT joggers - nice light combo.
We have also tried Northern Lights Elites - they were good too.

cheers
Last edited by rcaffin on Sat 20 Dec, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 4:43 pm

I do a lot of back country boarding which inevitably involves a lot of up hill walking on snow. I've used both Yowie's and MSR's. This is what I have found:
Yowies:
USE: suitable for short snow walks or over nighters with light packs in undulating country.
PROS - cheaper, lighter, broader base
CONS - less traction, flexible base plate, fittings not easily adjusted on the fly
MSR's:
USE: extended snow hiking, back country with heavy packs.
PROS - reticulated base plate, excellent traction on ice, rigid, heal drift attachments, adjustable fit system (can do it on the go and with gloved hands)
CONS - expensive!!!!

You can also get the MSR type shoes with a heel riser at the back. Lift the riser when you walking uphill. The shoe stays flat on the snow but you don't have to lower your foot all the way down - it rests on the riser and puts less strain on your hamstrings. They work really well in icy conditions and soft snow. I've been able to walk straight up some steep slopes that stopped my skiing companions (using skins) dead in their tracks.
P1010099.gif
Photo
P1010099.gif (139.01 KiB) Viewed 7439 times

P1010101.gif
Photo
P1010101.gif (159.36 KiB) Viewed 7446 times

P1010102.gif
P1010102.gif (154.12 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baldeagle » Wed 19 Nov, 2008 6:55 pm

We have been using Yowie's for 5 years, purchased after a poor decision to visit Lake Blecher ( Mt Field in winter) and taking 6 hours to get there and crawling out at times on our hand and knees. They also came in handy when I had to dig down in the snow to get into the K- Col emengency hut in the winter of 2004 as somebody had left the shovel inside, oh happy days. We have used then on 2 winter trips on a traverse of the Japan Alps. Came unstuct when we ventured above 3000m and had to deal with more ice than snow, but apart from that they have been great. Recomend using snow poles if going into hilly country

I was the envy of many people on a recent winter trip up the Overland Track, " never leave home without your Yowies"

Bald Eagle
Baldeagle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment