8.8g remote canister stove

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

8.8g remote canister stove

Postby Tony » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 11:48 am

This is my latest stove it is called SUUL stove (Super Ultra Ultra Light) its total weight is 8.8 grams and that includes burner, pot stand, fuel line and control valve.

This stove has only been designed to support a small pot of a volume of around 500ml.

Pot stand 2.1355g
Burner 1.9739g
Pre-heat tube and jet 0.5825g
Valve 3.7737g
Fuel line 0.3105g
Total weight 8.7751g

This stove has been an exercise in how light I can make a remote canister liquid feed stove, pot stand and valve, I was hoping to get the total under 8g but the valve turned out at a disappointingly heavy 3.8g, I am worried if I go much lighter that I will go below an accepted level of safety.

Every part on this stove has been home made.
The burner tube is made from aluminium with a Ti burner plate.
The pre-heat tube is made from 1mm SS tube and brazed to a small brass fitting that screws into the base burner.
The jet is made of brass and weighs only 0.045g.
The valve is made from a solid piece of aluminium, it has a Ti needle valve with a Beryllium copper handle, the fuel line is connected to a 1mm SS tube pressed into the Valve body, the lindal valve is depressed by a Ti pin.
The fuel line is high temperature resistance PTFE clamped on with small brass ferrules.
The Burner is supported on a piece of aluminium cut out from a cat food can.

I was hoping to add a windscreen and keep the total weight below 10g but I am still 0.2g heavy.

The stove has only been tested in the workshop, I have used it to make several cups of tea. It has been a learning experience and I will now start to make a stove which can be used with larger pots and Coleman Max canisters which I hoping to use it as my main stove.

Tony

SUUL stuve front view
SUUL valve
SUUL stove burner and pot stand
SUUL front view with canister
SUUL top view showing burner plate
SUUL flame under pot
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: 8.8g remote canister stove

Postby alliecat » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:56 pm

That is just awesome. Literally, it fills me with awe :)

Tony, I don't know if you ever intend making these for sale, but if you do, sign me up for one! I suspect you'd get a few sales through the BPL crowd too.

I love the way it integrates with the lightweight pot stand. I love that you've got a pre-heat tube on there - a lot of commecial stoves don't have pre-heat tubes. This is minimalist design at its best.

Great work!
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tony » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi allecat,

thanks for the comments

Tony, I don't know if you ever intend making these for sale, but if you do, sign me up for one! I suspect you'd get a few sales through the BPL crowd too.

I wish I could but unfortunately it is not possible to make these stove for sale, they are considered a gas appliance and can cost up to $10000 to get a stove approved, it can also take 2 years to go through the process as the JetBoil did. It also takes me many hours to make them and I would have to charge a LOT of money to make it worth my while.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:00 pm

Tony, Where is your stove? :D That truly is tiny....well done

Perhaps that is why the windpro isnt sold/sold yet here, the compliance of the remote cylinder/preheat setup?

Just one issue I've been considering lately, after spending a night in a hut with a group of school kids and their assorted stoves- That the primer/liquid types (especially that b...y dragonbreath thing) and sadly even anything home made, perhaps even all stoves- should be used outdoors! and especially in huts full of novices, all working them out for the first time- I have witnessed some tragic events with stoves and some close calls.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:58 pm

Nuts, a worthy comment indeed.
It's one thing to have the gear, but if you don't know how to use it, you may as well have left it at home. Applies to everything, especially stoves.
Lighting stoves in huts? When I first experienced huts, I didn't know the protocol for lighting of stoves indoors and was surprised that it was okay to do, and they even have stainless steel benches in the huts for that purpose.
But, as you say, inexperience and stoves can be a dangerous mix - especially indoors.

Back to the topic - you seriously need to start using Titanium as your base metal. This thing is just too darn heavy! :shock:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby walkinTas » Tue 01 Jul, 2008 7:48 pm

tasadam wrote:Lighting stoves in huts? When I first experienced huts, I didn't know the protocol for lighting of stoves indoors and was surprised that it was okay to do, and they even have stainless steel benches in the huts for that purpose.

I'm surprised too. I thought all stoves produced carbon monoxide (And for that matter all lamps that burn butane-propane mixtures).
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Update: 8.8g remote canister stove

Postby Tony » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:42 am

This is my latest developments of the SUUL stove

After rigorous testing I decided that the SUUL was too light for reliable use in the field so I have done some remodeling which has increase its weight a bit but improved its reliability a lot. The fuel line has been beefed up as the SUUL fuel line crimped over to easily and the pot stand has been redesigned as the bird wire one used in the SUUL stove buckled with heat especially while using the JB 550 pot. The stove can now take STD MSR type canisters as well as Coleman Max canister which I prefer.

I call this stove the Star Wars Stove

The weight of the stove that uses STD canisters is now 16.8 grams and with the Max adapter it is 26.6 grams.

The pot that I am using with it is a modified JetBoil 1l PCS pot, I call this pot a JB550, this pot is especially good for very cold conditions. The whole pot, stove, windshield, and bag system weighs in at 158.7 grams.

I have used it on several field trips and it has performed very well.

I am planning to fit a peizio ignition to it and also adapt it to fit inside a Trail Designs Caldera Cone.

Top view
Side view
Close up
testing in the field
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:58 am

You have sold me. Sign me up. Truely awesome. Will you be selling these babies?
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi Gippsmick,

You have sold me. Sign me up. Truely awesome. Will you be selling these babies?

Thanks for your comments. I would love to sell my stoves but unfortunately as the stove is considered a gas appliance I have to have them approved by the local government gas authority and in Australia alone that could cost up to $10,000, it is something like $400 to fill in the paperwork and is at least $2000 cost if all goes perfectly. With the fact that it takes me over thirty hours to make a stove plus the cost of compliance, the price that I would have to sell them at would not make them attractive. To have them made overseas is beyond the resources that I currently have at my disposal.

I have considered when I am finally happy with the design, doing a production run of a few stoves and then doing some sort of bartering deal with those who seriously would like one. They would not be cheap though.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment