Mont Krypton Tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mont Krypton Tent

Postby Graham51 » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 6:17 am

About two years ago I b ought a Mont Krypton tent. Initially I enjoyed many nof its features but I was disappointed to find, when it rained, the seams weren't sealed. It had many leaks where the water dripped off many of the toggles that support the inner. I sealed all the seams insided and out but still it drips off a couple of the toggles. When camped in 36 hours of rain in the Western Arthurs recentlywe accumulated a fair bit of water inside the tent and a lot of water betrween the floor and the footprint.
Have other people had similar issues?
What is the best way/product to seal the seams?

Graham
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mont Krypton Tent

Postby Franco » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:14 am

Hi
The fly is made from silyconised nylon so you need to use silicone sealer.
(seam grip and the like, will not stick to silicone)
Several choices from McNett Sil Nett to Permantex Flowable Silicone (from auto stores) to 100% silicone from Bunnings and the like. The first two you use directly, the 100% silicone (must say so on the label, do not use generic window sealant...) needs to be diluted.
See this quick video clip :
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodario ... YjOkxR4sgc
yes , you do need to pay particular attention to seam sealing around those toggles.
Keep in mind that the silicone is meant to penetrate the stitches, not to coat them.
In the clip I use a brush but I also use a plastic syringe with the angled tip to apply the mix in some tight areas.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby cams » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:48 am

On this subject. I studied your video Franco when I went to seal my Scarp 2 recently. Could you please list the actual brands and products that you use? You show shellite and turps in the video? Is either of these suitable? And the american products that people list don't exist here. thanks
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Franco » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Cams
I use Mineral Turpentine, the standard (generic brand) not the odourless type.
In the US they tend to use Coleman fuel (Shellite...) .
I think that I also used that a few years ago but I am not too sure..
As for the silicone, Sil Net is commonly available here.
Permantex is hard to get but some auto stores do have it.
I used to get GEII from Bunnings but they don't stock that (in Port Melbourne...) any longer.
I now use either GEII from the US (via TT) or Selly Roof and gutter Silicone sealant , translucent.
That is also available under a different description ( could be Bathroom or something like that) the important part is to find that 100% silicone listed on the label.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:29 pm

Ok Thanks. That's good to know. I used that selley's roof & gutter stuff and turps. :) Mainly just wasn't sure what our equivalent of mineral spirits is.
cams

Postby Graham51 » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try then look for a wet weekend to test it out.

Graham
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 6:51 am

I bought a bottle of mcNetts "Seam Sure" which say it waterproofs seams on synthetic fabrics & breathable laminates- it is urethane based. Is this stuff not any good for my Golite Shangri-la (which is taped but wanted to redo the area where the toggles are sewn in)
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 7:51 am

If your Golite is taped it means that the taped side has a PU coating so on that side you can use Seam Sure. The outside will be a silicone "coating" (it is actually impregnated) so Seam Grip will not stick to that but Sil Net will. (Golite has changed the fabric for their shelters two or three times in recent years)
I have seen several at Outdoor Magic commenting about drips from those toggles and (from memory...) I think they do the inside . You may want to have a look there.
(I would do the outside ...)
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Mont Krypton Tent

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for asking that question Lizzy as I've been wondering if I could do the outside seams with some silnet knowing the inside seam was taped. Super!
I have a tube of silnet at home. Is this good to use Franco or am I better off getting 100% silicone and diluting (as discussed above). Thanks
Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 8:40 am

Hi Mic
I prefer to use 100% silicone and dilute because I get the mix I like to work with . That depends on temperature and humidity. Silicone cures faster in humid weather.
( I have now 4 tents to do...)
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Mont Krypton Tent

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks Franco. I'll take a trip to bunnings me thinks :-)

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 21 Nov, 2023 7:01 pm

Mont currently have this 4 season tent on sale. RRP $1250. On sale for $500 (21 Nov 2023). Quite a saving but have no idea how good the tent is.
https://www.mont.com.au/products/krypton-tent-lemongrass
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment