Poop-a-Scoopers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Poop-a-Scoopers

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:15 pm

I had a look at a few shops last weekend and the iPood looks quite good. I found that it was a few dollars cheaper at one shop that didn't actually have it in stock, so I've placed an order there. Now I'm going to have to plan a walk on which I can use it (once it arrives)!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Fri 11 Jan, 2008 3:00 pm

Devonport shops are out of stock but I know that one has them on order and their price is good
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Joe » Fri 11 Jan, 2008 4:07 pm

shop next door to work has them for RRP...of $19....which even for a cheap walker is acceptable. penny pinching to the extent of a few bucks isn't my scene.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Fri 11 Jan, 2008 5:27 pm

With a RR price of $20:00 I dont think I would ask Cathy for myWild Care 10% discount
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 12 Jan, 2008 9:55 am

ouch....my local still sells them for $19.95....you would have still had mixed lolly money had you bought it in burnie ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 22 Jan, 2008 9:40 am

I hope people don't mind me posting this in two locations, but this fits so perfectly in both topics I thought I'd add it in both places.

See this other topic for what I reckon is the best use for the storage space inside the iPood handle. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 1:30 pm

Ipood in back in stock in Devonport $19.95 less 10% if you are a clubmember good colour selection :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 5:50 am

Bought an iPood yesterday from PP. Also $19.95 less club discount 10%
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 7:35 am

I think Sea to Summit should give Corvus a commission for all the iPoods they've sold to forum members since he first mentioned it! :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 16 May, 2008 11:04 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 05 Nov, 2008 8:24 pm

Update on IPOODS was speaking to the STS Tassie Rep today and he mentioned that they were investigating an oval shaped bottle to fit in the handle for 'sani gel type products" so watch this space !!
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby walkinTas » Wed 05 Nov, 2008 11:59 pm

corvus wrote:Update on IPOODS was speaking to the STS Tassie Rep today and he mentioned that they were investigating an oval shaped bottle to fit in the handle for 'sani gel type products" so watch this space !!

Cheeky buggers! I think BWT should collect royalties for that idea. :D
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:50 am

I used to carry a steel garden trowel without the handle; weighed a tonne and wasn't particularly easy to use unless there was a convenient fallen branch the right size to use as a handle. I now carry one of the 'disposable' plastic spades, but have an alloy garden trowel with comfy rubber-coated handle which I don't reckon would weigh much more than one of the plastic ones, is strong and gives excellent leverage. It is a little bulky though.

Do like the idea of hand wash in the handle, but I tend to use the hand wash before cooking/eating etc as well, and would prefer not to handle the poo spade every mealtime... so might need two containers.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:42 pm

Indeed that is a good idea to have two containers of sani gel if they come up with the container for the handle .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Singe » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 3:01 pm

Dredging up an old topic... picked up an ipood from the visitors center at Freycinet on the weekend. They still have a few left at $19.95.

Great piece of design! Hopefully the sani-gel container isn't too far away... and they don't revise the handle design to compel existing owners to upgrade ;)
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 21 May, 2009 11:37 pm

"Digging up" an old topic once again :wink: . Has anyone had the same problem as me in that their iPood is difficult to close/collapse down after use?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 22 May, 2009 7:40 am

johnw wrote:"Digging up" an old topic once again :wink: . Has anyone had the same problem as me in that their iPood is difficult to close/collapse down after use?

Digging up... Yes, very droll :roll:

The hardest part about collapsing the iPood is getting the button in far enough with cold fingers. The thumb nail works best, also tapping it against a rock to persuade it to start to slide once the button is in far enough.
Mine slides fine when the button has been pushed enough. Is yours tight even once it starts to slide, or is it just the button that causes you grief?
If it's hard to slide it must be bent or something.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby norts » Fri 22 May, 2009 8:00 am

I gave up on my ipood, prefer my cut down, drilled out steel garden trowel. Much tougher for and my scales arent accurate enough to tell the difference in weight.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 22 May, 2009 8:24 am

I agree that the iPood can be difficult to collapse at first, but as Tasadam says, once you figure out a way of getting the button pushed in far enough, it's not a problem. I use the same technique... I push my thumbnail itself into the button, and this seems to do the trick.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 22 May, 2009 1:26 pm

tasadam wrote:The hardest part about collapsing the iPood is getting the button in far enough with cold fingers. The thumb nail works best, also tapping it against a rock to persuade it to start to slide once the button is in far enough.
Mine slides fine when the button has been pushed enough. Is yours tight even once it starts to slide, or is it just the button that causes you grief?
If it's hard to slide it must be bent or something.

Son of a Beach wrote:I use the same technique... I push my thumbnail itself into the button, and this seems to do the trick.

Thanks all. No I don't think it's bent. Yep, the button is the problem, and cold weather makes it worse. I can eventually get it closed but end up with a very sore thumb. I'll have to examine it more closely and see if I can ascertain the reason why it's so stiff.

I recently acccompanied my wife on a weekend shopping expedition to some local markets. There was a camping store across the road which I was forced to visit while she explored the markets (that bit took me 10 minutes). (Fortunately) it started pouring rain so I had to stay in the camping store much longer than expected :). That eventually led me to buy a small Coleman Exponent stainless steel folding trowel with carry pouch. It cost $9-95 and is very compact and sturdy but seems a little heavier than the iPood. I'll be interested to see how it compares.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 22 May, 2009 2:07 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 22 May, 2009 5:15 pm

Never had a problem with my iPood (after many uses) just needs less technical ability and more manual dexterity :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby johnw » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:45 am

Brett wrote:I hope it is better than the kathmandu one I brought as the little bugger auto folds and slices your finger in the locking clip so both cuts and infects you at the same time.

I haven't seen the Kathmandu one. Sounds nasty :shock:. Here is the one I bought:
Coleman Exponent Hand Shovel
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 May, 2009 6:02 pm

Aye, I had a lot of trouble collapsing my iPood at first - now I just use the corner of the compass (which is always reachable) to push the button in. No sweat. Getting the lid off the handle storage space is another story, but . . . :x

Wet!!! dunny paper? *shudder* Certain things are always double bagged, and the paper is one of them. Keep it close at hand, but thoroughly waterproofed. Couldn't believe on the recent Tassie trip when I saw people with the stuff just shoved in a pack side-pocket with no protection. Yecccch!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Macca81 » Sun 24 May, 2009 8:55 pm

Brett wrote:
johnw wrote:That eventually led me to buy a small Coleman Exponent stainless steel folding trowel with carry pouch. It cost $9-95 and is very compact and sturdy but seems a little heavier than the iPood. I'll be interested to see how it compares.

Um? I hope it is better than the kathmandu one I brought as the little bugger auto folds and slices your finger in the locking clip so both cuts and infects you at the same time. The Ipood is so much better.

Cheers Brett

on a recent trip down sw cape, i used my mates krapmandoo folding shovel, and i have to agree 100% with you brett! unless you apply pressure only straight down the handle or slightly lever it backwards, the damned thing just collapses on your fingers/hand! unless the ground is really really soft, its quite hard to dig without causing yourself some kind of injury.
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby corvus » Sun 24 May, 2009 9:38 pm

More kudos for the i pood I believe eh!
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby johnw » Mon 25 May, 2009 1:16 pm

Brett wrote:Um? I hope it is better than the kathmandu one I brought as the little bugger auto folds and slices your finger in the locking clip so both cuts and infects you at the same time. The Ipood is so much better.

Macca81 wrote:i used my mates krapmandoo folding shovel, and i have to agree 100% with you brett! unless you apply pressure only straight down the handle or slightly lever it backwards, the damned thing just collapses on your fingers/hand! unless the ground is really really soft, its quite hard to dig without causing yourself some kind of injury.

Now I'm getting worried. Does anyone have a link or photo of the Kathmandu one? I hope the Coleman design is not the same. The handle seems to lock tightly into position, but I'll have to give it a try in the garden I think (with care).
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 25 May, 2009 1:43 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 26 May, 2009 5:37 pm

The only other thing I don't like about the iPood is the end of the handle - sometimes it is necessary to put a fair amount of pressure down to cut through the ground / roots / matted grass / whatever.
The handle, with its funny sloping end, can cause some discomfort to a hand - particularly a cold wet hand.
I don't use the storage space in the handle for anything.
Perhaps they should shape the end of the handle like this -
As taken from http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/products/
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby corvus » Tue 26 May, 2009 6:23 pm

If you pronate the iPood you will find that the sloping end fits neatly in to the heel of your hand giving you the purchase to dig down(you are cutting out a small 15 cm deep hole not a grave) ,its all in the technique just like pressing the collapse button. Do more poos as practice makes perfect.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment