MSR heat exchanger queries

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR heat exchanger queries

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 May, 2024 1:17 pm

Somebody was giving away one of these on GearFreak so I've grabbed it.
My understanding is that these do not really work but I have an idea in my head.
Now I have experimented a bit with putting a double wall onto an old aluminium billy and that wasn't all that successful, mainly due to experimenter error.
My idea is to get some titanium foil and put a surround onto the MSR thingie to make a better jacket.
Anybody know what pots MSR actually thought this gadget would work best with?
Assuming that the device fits best towards the base of the pot and that the pot used sits wide of the stove head and arms is there an optimum depth for how far below the bottom of the pot this added skirt should be,? Opinions or actual experimental use is all good.
I never really toss anything away so I have a large selection of pots to play with, including the first generation MSR Alpine set in Stainless steel and a whole selection of Aluminium billy cans
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: MSR heat exchanger queries

Postby Warin » Sat 04 May, 2024 3:38 pm

Gear Skeptic's latest video is on heat exchanges... basically unless your going through more than one gas canister on one trip they are not worth the extra weight. And the MSR is one of the heaviest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbN4cH4eDXk

Note he will have more to follow .. this one does not include wind effects.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: MSR heat exchanger queries

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 May, 2024 4:18 pm

Not the HE pot but the add-on unit.
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/stoves/stove ... 21105.html
And yes it really is quite heavy at 170 grams but melting snow is very time and fuel intensive.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment