Wood stove placement options?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wood stove placement options?

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 11:20 am

So I've bit the dollar bullet and bought a small UL tiny woodstove.
purchased S/H via GearFreak and I've just had a very frustrating 3 hours fitting the unused baffle to the used stove.
Somewhere in the shed is a stove jack I bought for a very different project a few years ago but haven't used and a length ot Titanium I bought from Franko several years ago and have used intermittently in tin can/stockpot stoves so I have two different flue heights to make use of.
This will be for the Black Diamond Megalite I have yet to modify with a short side wall to give me much more usable floor space.
Your thoughts on actual stove placement?
Beside the door on the left hand side as you enter; this being the side that is usually fixed and the RHS opens, centred on that panel and using the short flue or on the RHS of the centre pole and exiting as high as I can get to allow the flue to be supported by the centre pole?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wood stove placement options?

Postby crollsurf » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 1:02 pm

When I did my Black Wolf Turbo 240, I spent a lot of time trying different configurations of stove, bed, and cupboard. I ended up with the stove of the left-hand side as you entered, the bed on the right and the cupboard along the back.

Part of my consideration was so I could enjoy the side glass panel of the stove. Having the front of the stove pointing to the entrance also worked well for loading, stoking, and cleaning.

While the tent at 2.4m x 2.4m was fine for 1 person, I don't think I'd bother with a tent that small again because you don't have a lot of room. And so have to be careful not to burn/melt your gear. Or yourself for that matter. Plus, it got insanely hot. I basically had all vents and the front door open most of the time. Even when it was minus degrees outside.

Don't get me wrong, it was unreal fun and worked really well, and all my ski gear was dry for the next day.

I've got a Winnerall, which is too heavy for anything other than car camping.

But like I say, spend time trying different configurations over and over again to make sure you have the most optimal setup.

EDIT: added a couple of photos:
stove1.jpg

stove2.jpg

stove3.jpg
Last edited by crollsurf on Thu 21 Mar, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 1:10 pm

Modifying the Tuffdome or the Tuffdome Plus to take the Helsport stove might be the next project. This tiny stove is about half the size of the Winnerwell. But yes a woodstove in a small tent can be insanely hot.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 1:24 pm

Except for the fact you have to keep feeding a smaller stove, unless it's a really big tent, the smaller the better.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 2:32 pm

Conversely perhaps also the bigger the tent the better
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Thu 21 Mar, 2024 5:44 pm

If anyone wants to buy my tent and stove setup, I'd be happy to sell for $1400. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 23 Mar, 2024 8:41 am

Anywhere that I have seen woodstoves in traditional sitiuations, such as bush cabins, gers/yurts, wall tents etc., the stove has always been well away from the entrance, often at the back wall.

I think that this is mainly for heat retention and possibly also to make it easier to exit if an unintended fire breaks out.

I'll go with heat retention. No draughts going past/through what should be the warmest area of the shelter, less heat leaving via the entrance with comings and goings and consequently less fuel needing to be supplied.

Aesthetics and the view from bed are different considerations :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment