Tent advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent advice

Postby Roadtonowhere » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 4:22 am

I've never worried too much about gear weight but I'm getting older and have some mild knee and back issues that mean I am looking for a lighter tent suitable for solo walking (30%), or walking with a partner (70%) in Tasmania.

I have read the forums here, done my own research and found myself at the following point. Any advice would be appreciated.....

Tarptent Scarp 2 - looks like a good option without going super light and compromising durability too much. The Double Rainbow looks like it would be cramped for two people. From what I read here, I would not need the optional cross poles. Would it be best to get the solid inner rather than mesh inner?

Big Sky Revolution 2 - can get locally rather than from US. Freestanding which I like and similar weight to Scarp 2. External pole system. Can only get mesh inner at moment so not sure if that presents an issue in colder weather. I've always had solid inners.

Durston x mid 2 - lighter than above two, but I would need to buy the optional poles as I don't use trekking poles. Looks more awkward to set up and not sure if it is getting a bit too minimalist.

Other - Mont Moondance is a great tent but getting up there in weight. The S2S Telos seems overpriced but I am open to convincing. Nemo tents seem cramped and have very low hydrostatic heads for the floors.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tent advice

Postby crollsurf » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 2:07 pm

My choice would be:
1. Durston because its ~500g lighter, has a great rep, and I'm not a fan of tent poles. It needs trekking poles (or custom) which adds weight, but at least you're not having to phaff around threading the damn things through sleeves.

2.Scarp 2. The Scarp is bomber, so you'll feel more confident in really bad weather. Plus Tarptent has a reputation, second to none

I don't really know Big Sky other than some UL gear they sell. I'd like a bit more vestibule space for shoes, cooking in bad weather etc
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 3:12 pm

Getting older with knee problems, and not using trekking poles? Get the trekking poles, your knees will thank you. I use cheap ebay ones ~$70 a pair...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark7260 » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 4:17 pm

FWIW,
I have just replaced my X Mid with a Mont Moondance 1. The X Mid is a fine tent, I can put it up in under 60 seconds, handles rain and light snow and the polyester fly is a dream.
It doesn't do well if the ground isn't flat. Especially if there is any amount of wind.
I am doing much more offtrack stuff now and rarely have found myself camping on ideal sites. To complicate matters further, if your on coral fern or worse, then the trekking pole, or the Z Flicks become a problem. As for weight, by the time you add the proper amount of stakes and guy lines then there really isn't much in it.
The Mont Moondance isn't perfect either, the vestibule is a little small, but the interior is ample.
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Roadtonowhere » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 4:57 pm

Warin. I do a lot of off track walking and find poles to be more of an issue than a help.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Roadtonowhere » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 4:58 pm

Mark7260 wrote:FWIW,
I have just replaced my X Mid with a Mont Moondance 1. The X Mid is a fine tent, I can put it up in under 60 seconds, handles rain and light snow and the polyester fly is a dream.
It doesn't do well if the ground isn't flat. Especially if there is any amount of wind.
I am doing much more offtrack stuff now and rarely have found myself camping on ideal sites. To complicate matters further, if your on coral fern or worse, then the trekking pole, or the Z Flicks become a problem. As for weight, by the time you add the proper amount of stakes and guy lines then there really isn't much in it.
The Mont Moondance isn't perfect either, the vestibule is a little small, but the interior is ample.

Thanks Mark, that is really helpful advice as a lot of my camping is in off track areas.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Roadtonowhere » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 5:01 pm

crollsurf wrote:My choice would be:
1. Durston because its ~500g lighter, has a great rep, and I'm not a fan of tent poles. It needs trekking poles (or custom) which adds weight, but at least you're not having to phaff around threading the damn things through sleeves.

2.Scarp 2. The Scarp is bomber, so you'll feel more confident in really bad weather. Plus Tarptent has a reputation, second to none

I don't really know Big Sky other than some UL gear they sell. I'd like a bit more vestibule space for shoes, cooking in bad weather etc

Thanks. I think the extra capability of the tarptent is a strong attraction.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 7:16 pm

but at least you're not having to phaff around threading the damn things [p0oles] through sleeves.

Funny about that - having threaded four poles into their sleeves in a 100 kph snow storm (NOT kidding!), I have to say the process went smoothly and was even reassuring.
We had a good night.
(Mt Anton, winter, zero visibility, and yes, 100 kph.)

MainRange6.jpg
MainRange6.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 6766 times

(Not Mt Anton but the morning before it. No point taking a photo of a wall of white.)

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 7:03 am

I like my Scarp 2 but it doesn't feel particularly solid without the crossing poles, which puts its weight up there with the Monts and many other tents. Also, and for what it's worth, every Tarptent I have ever bought ends up weighing at least 100g more than list because you will need to seam seal it and add a few pegs and guys. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one though, just something to bear in mind. If you are happy with single skin, the Tarptent Cloudburst with the optional 3rd pole has plenty of room, is lighter than the Scarp 2 with X-poles, and feels very robust. 2 of the poles are sleeved but it's much less phaffing around than the Scarp X-poles. Won't be much good if it snows though.

No experience with Monts, Big Sky's or X-mids. I do have a 2 man Nemo Firefly but I wouldn't recommend it for Tassie and I feel it's really a 1 & 1/2 man tent anyway. Good luck with your choices.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby headwerkn » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 8:14 am

Double Rainbow is definitely on the more spacious side of 2pp tents - fits two 25" wide pads - and is perfectly comfortable for a couple unless you're both super tall. It is a bit narrower up at the top than say a Scarp, Stratospire or Dipole though. Usually we take turns in getting dressed ;-)

That said we've gone with the Dipole 2 for its replacement: mostly for (hopefully) improved ventilation and bigger vestibules, and partly for a little extra floor length and head height.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Roadtonowhere » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 3:52 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:I like my Scarp 2 but it doesn't feel particularly solid without the crossing poles, which puts its weight up there with the Monts and many other tents. Also, and for what it's worth, every Tarptent I have ever bought ends up weighing at least 100g more than list because you will need to seam seal it and add a few pegs and guys. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one though, just something to bear in mind. If you are happy with single skin, the Tarptent Cloudburst with the optional 3rd pole has plenty of room, is lighter than the Scarp 2 with X-poles, and feels very robust. 2 of the poles are sleeved but it's much less phaffing around than the Scarp X-poles. Won't be much good if it snows though.

No experience with Monts, Big Sky's or X-mids. I do have a 2 man Nemo Firefly but I wouldn't recommend it for Tassie and I feel it's really a 1 & 1/2 man tent anyway. Good luck with your choices.

Thanks Johnno. As you say, if the cross bars are needed it is really not much different to a Mont.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Roadtonowhere » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 3:53 pm

headwerkn wrote:Double Rainbow is definitely on the more spacious side of 2pp tents - fits two 25" wide pads - and is perfectly comfortable for a couple unless you're both super tall. It is a bit narrower up at the top than say a Scarp, Stratospire or Dipole though. Usually we take turns in getting dressed ;-)

That said we've gone with the Dipole 2 for its replacement: mostly for (hopefully) improved ventilation and bigger vestibules, and partly for a little extra floor length and head height.

How did you find the shipping? Reasonably quick or slow?
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby WalkerWade » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 9:21 pm

I just bought a Tarptent scarp1 in Nov and it arrived in Perth WA in just over a week.
WalkerWade
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby headwerkn » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 9:41 pm

Roadtonowhere wrote:How did you find the shipping? Reasonably quick or slow?

Terrible... been stuck in CA since the 15th and no updates from USPS since :-/ Don't know if it is still there or gonna suddenly appear on my desk tomorrow.

Our first tent got here within a week (pre COVID). Second, in 2021, took a month and went via Japan for reasons unexplainable by modern science or transport logistics...
headwerkn

Postby Roadtonowhere » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 4:16 am

Looks like a bit of a lottery but I am not in an urgent rush so up to 4 weeks is tolerable.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Franco » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 8:26 am

As for the Scarp 2...
The X poles are mostly for snow loading. IF you peg out the corners as they should and use the main pole guylines, it works for most like that .
I would suggest the solid inner . Mesh is nicer in the warmest weather but the solid works better when windy or cool/cold.

this is a different type of that corner but the idea is the same. Pull the two struts ,spread out , towards you , plant them spread out and keep them there with one hand as you insert the peg with the tie outs fully extended with the other hand.
Many just sit the two struts and then try to get the tension by pulling those tie outs in. Better do it the other way....
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby bearded bushwalker » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 8:35 am

USPS tracking for Tarptent seems to only go to CA. Copy and paste the tracking number into an international parcel tracker such as parcelsapp.com and all of a sudden you get a clearer account of your parcels journey.
bearded bushwalker

Be yourself, there is nobody better qualified.
bearded bushwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby headwerkn » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 1:07 pm

bearded bushwalker wrote:USPS tracking for Tarptent seems to only go to CA. Copy and paste the tracking number into an international parcel tracker such as parcelsapp.com and all of a sudden you get a clearer account of your parcels journey.

Legend! As suspected, it's somewhere between Melbourne and here. Actually looks like it's been there since the 22nd :-/ Freakin' Aramax...
headwerkn

Postby Jack Doolan » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 6:47 pm

Legend! As suspected, it's somewhere between Melbourne and here. Actually looks like it's been there since the 22nd :-/ Freakin' Aramax...[/quote]

I have it on good authority that Aramax just invested in a fleet of Penny Farthings. Your delivery may only be a matter of years away.
Jack Doolan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bernieq » Thu 30 Nov, 2023 7:20 pm

Did you look at Wilderness Equipment 1st or 2nd Arrow? I have both as well as Tarptent Scarp1 (& DW Moment). All are great tents; solid & well designed. I've used all in Tassie & NZ-SI in some seriously bad wx.

The 1stA is a spacious 2P tunnel tent with a really useful front vestibule (gear storage, cooking in rubbish wx). The 2ndA can just fit 2P & has a smaller but still useful front vestibule.

Considering space, rain, wind, snow (but not weight, price), I'd rank them : 1stA, 2ndA, Scarp2

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby Roadtonowhere » Fri 01 Dec, 2023 5:29 pm

I prefer tents with dual entrances, especially when sharing. I do have a minaret at home for when I really need something bombproof
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Biggles » Sat 02 Dec, 2023 9:36 am

Roadtonowhere wrote:I prefer tents with dual entrances, especially when sharing. I do have a minaret at home for when I really need something bombproof

The sunflower yellow Minaret certainly is unflappable!
I used mine confidently this week at Pretty Valley just at the time the weather turned well and truly belly-up from Wednesday: pea-soupers, horizontal and pelting rain, flooding, wind, one electrical storm after another...rinse and repeat! :(

MacPac's DuoLite (2.15kg complete) has dual entrances and vestibules, albeit not luxuriously room vestibules, but enough for a pack and boots; it is a tad lighter than the Minaret and has less bulk when packed; I use it with Toaks Ti pegs (as for the Moondance and Minaret also). Bulk can be cut down by using a compression sack, other than the simple affair provided with these tents.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Roadtonowhere » Sat 02 Dec, 2023 7:56 pm

I have a friend with a duolight and it is a good option.
Roadtonowhere
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment