Small tent peg snapped when hammering straight.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Small tent peg snapped when hammering straight.

Postby Wollemi » Thu 29 Jun, 2023 12:23 pm

Found a metal bent tent peg of short length while bushwalking. It would not bend straight by hand as aluminium pegs do.
After sitting on a shelf for a few years - just now, I tried hammering it straight.
It snapped cleanly after 4 or so hammer blows.
Gold coloured outside, square profile. Snapped ends are a dull silver, and are granular in appearance.

The now-broken peg is heavier than an any aluminium peg I have, yet lighter than any steel peg
- so I assumed on finding it that it was titanium; but if titanium (or otherwise); why did it snap?
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Small tent peg snapped when hammering straight.

Postby Warin » Thu 29 Jun, 2023 1:24 pm

Stressed beyond its limits.
Look up metal fatigue, Young's modulus...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Thu 29 Jun, 2023 9:56 pm

If I bend the small light weight pegs for my Hubba Hubba, I cannot bend them back without breaking them.
This seems to be a property of some light weight hardened materials.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby headwerkn » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 8:35 am

There are numerous grades of aluminium alloy - and titanium alloy, for that matter. Some err toward softness and ductility, others towards hardness and thus more brittle. Lots of alloys get heat treated too, which further hardens them. Hardening means if bent they'll shear and/or snap, rather than stretch.

Most 'quality' aluminium alloy pegs (Eastons, GroundHogs) seem to be 7075 series, which is definitely on the 'harder' end of the spectrum. Makes sense for an application where bending is generally undesirable.

That said I still have the old alloy sheephooks from my long-disintegrated Snowgum tent and those things are soft-as... easy to bend, easy to hammer back into shape, like the cheapo steel pegs of yore. They feel like 6061 or some other 6000 series alloy (typical for general fabrication, more weldable and machinable).
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 9:06 pm

"Snapped ends are a dull silver, and are granular in appearance."
That sounds like an aluminium peg , I have seen that with fake Grounhogs (like the one in the photo) and similar cheap pegs.
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

(that white inner part visible there is dull grey in reality).
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment