Olight Perun 2 Mini?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Olight Perun 2 Mini?

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 10:01 am

I've been pretty keen on getting a Nitecore NU25 at some point soon but have recently seen the new Olight Perun Mini. I have an Olight spotlight and it's really great. The Perun Mini looks to be pretty light still, and have a fair bit of versatility.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the virtues of these two different types of lights.

Edit: I linked to the older version initially. This is the current version

https://www.olightstore.com.au/perun-2-mini.html
Last edited by WestcoastPete on Mon 05 Jun, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Olight Perun Mini?

Postby Warin » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 10:33 am

1,000 lumens? How many minutes does the battery last at that setting? The specks are not clear on that ... possibly 21 minutes. And why do you need to illuminate the moon? The NU25 max is ~300 lumens and the charge port is a standard mini USB.

I like the a5x as it glows in the dark. No head band thought. But it is lighter...
https://afterdarksurveillance.com/produ ... urora-a5x/
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Olight Perun 2 Mini?

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 10:45 am

Yeah obviously max lumens is not what's important here. It seems to do 2 lumens for like, 10 days, and 15 lumens for 7hrs. And this new model has a red light too

Maybe the NU25s 60 lumens for 10hrs and 6 lumens for ages would be a better balance
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Olight Perun 2 Mini?

Postby Biggles » Mon 05 Jun, 2023 2:45 pm

1,000+ lumens in a headlamp!?
(and those run-times are not all that exciting).

What's the go, illuminate the dark side of the moon? :shock:

I don't think my own Petzel is more than 60 lumens, and I have had some epic adventures with it. 60 to 100 would be right for around campsite. Up to 400-500 lum for trail walking or running (that is your thing?), but this has to be weighed up against battery (or charge) life; if it is short, you'll be adding weight and likely be out of action during the charge. How would you be recharging? CR123 made-for-purpose batteries can be recharged by USB while in use if that's what the headlamp uses.

No denying the NU25 and its ilk look masterful in their design and construction — perhaps a tad over-engineered. And the output vs run time is appealing, assuming about 40 minutes to 1 hour of use a night — plenty more left in the boiler for a multi-day camp. So...it appears you have answered your own question in that last sentence.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment