Aarn Natural Exhilaration pack - queries about back strut

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aarn Natural Exhilaration pack - queries about back strut

Postby Joynz » Sat 11 Feb, 2023 2:50 pm

Hi all
Query for people with an Aarn Natural Exhilaration pack. On mine, there is an aluminium strut that goes down the centre back; held in by Velcro.

The Velcro popped open and I took the strut out. I now want to put it back- but it seems too long! Does anyone have this pack who can help me with some queries and perhaps a photo or two?

1. Is there supposed to be a curve on the strut? Is is curved away from your back tor towards it (i,e following the curve of your spine??

2. Is the strut on your pack pushing really hard against the bit of folded over Velcro at the tip? (I have to push the strut down really hard into the bottom webbing tape ‘channel’ to be able to close the Velcro. So, there is a possibility that it’s not seated correctly at the bottom - but it seems there is only one way to insert it). See first photo.

3. I just noticed an unusual hook at the top of the pack inside the dri-liner. Is it supposed to clip onto the ‘u-flow’ wire? See second photo.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Aarn Natural Exhilaration pack - queries about back stru

Postby bernieq » Tue 14 Feb, 2023 1:37 pm

Hi joynz, I don't have a NE pack but, since no-one has replied thus far, I do have experience with an earlier NB version with struts that might be useful.

1. Yes, strut is curved to follow the curve of your back.

2. The strut fits into a webbing pocket at the bottom of the sleeve. It's easy to poke the strut down & hit the top of the pocket. Wiggle it around to slip it in to the pocket proper. Yes, even inserted fully, you have to push hard to close the top Velcro tab (but the top of the strut should seat at the point where the webbing is sewn to the pack).

3. Looks like Yes, clip it to the u-flow.

Hope that helps.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Aarn Natural Exhilaration pack - queries about back stru

Postby Joynz » Thu 16 Feb, 2023 10:41 pm

Thanks Bernie - the strut is now safely back where it should be.

Also, just got a reply from Aarn about the purpose of the hook - it turns out to be for a water bladder. I guess it makes sense as it allows the bladder to be outside the dri-liner.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment