Fuel transfer gadgets

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Fuel transfer gadgets

Postby Drew » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 2:02 pm

Has anyone used one of these nifty looking devices? The idea is to consolidate leftover gas into one canister. Premium US version for $63 or Chinese version for much less.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.57.03 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.57.03 pm.png (359.28 KiB) Viewed 2766 times

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09NCN8CBR ... ogle_dp_dp
https://www.amazon.com.au/Campingmoon-C ... r=8-3&th=1
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Fuel transfer gadgets

Postby Hiking Exped » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 2:19 pm

Great idea :) I have cupboards full of almost empty canisters :lol:
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 3:18 pm

I have one, had it for a few years.
Saves a few dollars.
You need to use a set of scales so that you can tell when the canister is full, you can over fill them if you're not careful.
I warm one canister and cool the other when transferring.
I mark each one after I have refilled it, I usually only refill, at the most 3 times. The Lindal valve in the canister isnt meant for multiple uses.
Also you can get an adaptor and refill from those cheap pressure pack fuel canisters. The fuel from these canisters isnt very good in cold weather so I only use those canisters for summer walking.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 3:27 pm

I have one, had it for a few years.

What brand do you have?

You need to use a set of scales so that you can tell when the canister is full, you can over fill them if you're not careful.

Yeah, one review mentioned that they warn against overfilling but don't really tell you how to avoid it. Using scales solves that problem.

Good point about the valves not being intended for multiple uses.

My pile of canisters isn't huge as I'm more confident these days about taking half full canisters on walks, but it would still be handy to consolidate them occasionally.
Drew

Postby andrewa » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 7:56 pm

Yes, I have one, and it works well.

There is an issue with temperature, but from first principles, both should be cold to get gas to liquify and sink from top to bottom, however, I’d Google it.

I’m more aligned to twig stoves now for camping below the snow for longer trips, as they seem lighter, and easier, and I’m normally only trying to boil water.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby crollsurf » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 8:10 pm

I've been using one for years and just let gravity do its thing. Pressure seems to affect it, so I have never totally refilled or emptied a cannister through this method.

I've probably refilled my little cannister close to 10 times now. But reading the comments above, I think I'd do well to get another little cannister and recycle the old one

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 25 Jan, 2023 1:28 pm

Haven't actually done any fuel transfers but researched it a while back and there's quite a lot online re the process and the safety aspects. From memory, it's important not to over-fill, hence the necessity to determine remaining capacity of the canister being refilled. I recall the process of weighing a full canister then using weight of the used canister to calculate remaining capacity. Cooling one/both canisters (can't recall exactly) by placing in the freezer was also a step. I did buy one of the adaptors to run a canister stove from one of the "fly-spray" shaped butane cans and have been doing that for quite a while. With a bit of practice, inversion of the can is one way of overcoming issues that arise from cooler weather.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 25 Jan, 2023 6:50 pm

The dangers are overly dramatised. It's a very simple device and used with common sense, is in no way dangerous. I've been using an eBay version for years, and other than making sure there isn't a naked flame nearby, that's about all you have to worry about.

Puncturing the can for recycling is probably more dangerous. And if you're worried about that, most outdoor shops will accept your emptied cans.

The price of cannisters have dropped significantly in recent years. These days, I just buy new cannisters and take the near empty ones car camping.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 25 Jan, 2023 8:09 pm

I have one. My main use is to keep a couple little cans full as the price difference between a 100g and 400g is significant (to me). I'm not going to tell anyone how careful to be (because I never know if I'm careful enough) but I don't feel like I've ever pushed into range of actually filling one of those little cans, I just like to know I have a mostly full one in my day-walk emergency kit. I also have a fly-can adapter which is safer, since the pure butane is lower pressure than the propane-butane mix, and for a lot of my stove use and conditions the far cheaper fuel is adequate. If I was going actually walking, I'd take new cans, but the last few times I've been out all I'm doing is basecamp stuff to assist in training or just chilling out, and I don't want to think about sparking up my little stove for coffee as an "expense". I think they are also good for anyone who has that style of stove as an emergency backup, since you may need to stock up on fuel or transfer fuel from one container to another, and it's a reasonably safe way to do that.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Al M » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 4:35 pm

Just put an order for two types from eBay arriving from China, one $2 and another 3.60 free shipping. Doesn’t have the control valve. One type to transfer between similar canisters and the other from a long cylinder.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ggorgeman » Sun 29 Jan, 2023 6:12 am

Al M wrote:Just put an order for two types from eBay arriving from China, one $2 and another 3.60 free shipping. Doesn’t have the control valve. One type to transfer between similar canisters and the other from a long cylinder.

Once they've arrived it'd be great if you could post a report on using them :D
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 31 Jan, 2023 9:00 am

I just replaced my rusty old 100 gm can.
Added gas to it many times over the last couple of years.

10! effen! dollars! for 100 gms of gas!
What a pack of rip-off Arschlocs.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment