A problem with my new Second Arrow tent?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

A problem with my new Second Arrow tent?

Postby Tortoise » Mon 24 Oct, 2022 5:47 pm

I'm not sure of its significance, but after the first use (on a groundsheet, on nice soft grass), I noticed a flaw in the floor as I happened to hold it up to the light in the right spot as I was folding it up. It's only visible when held up to the light. I can't feel any difference from the surrounding fabric (which is actually the normal grey, not black), either on the inside or the outside - but I'm not famous for picking up things like that. I'm hoping it's just a fault in the dyeing process, and not the water-proofing process.

Unfortunately, the shop I could get to that had it in stock is one where I've experienced poor customer service on multiple occasions. I usually avoid them. Henry at Wilderness Equipment is apparently no longer taking calls or emails directly from the public, to free up more time for his main work -even though it still says to contact WE directly in the current tent info. Apparently that's why he hasn't been returning calls or responding to emails for a while.

Sooo I wanted to get a bit of an idea about what folks think is the issue before I contact the not-helpful people I bought it from. Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
Attachments
DSC00256.jpeg
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: A problem with my new Second Arrow tent?

Postby Tortoise » Mon 24 Oct, 2022 5:50 pm

I thought I'd ask before I put it to the test, immersing that part of the floor in water overnight with a weight on it to see if there's any leakage.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Mon 24 Oct, 2022 7:22 pm

FWIW, my 2nd Arrow (current version but some years old) has nothing like your picture (why does it look black?).

I did find a few pinpricks that need a spot of silicon, though, so thanks for prompting me to look.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Mon 24 Oct, 2022 7:33 pm

bernieq wrote:FWIW, my 2nd Arrow (current version but some years old) has nothing like your picture (why does it look black?)

My camera apparently can't cope with colours when I'm holding something up to the light. In real life the floor is a mid grey, just like my 1st Arrow. (And you're welcome. :) )
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 25 Oct, 2022 9:33 am

It does look like the dye or maybe the PU coating is missing from that area
One reason why tents can vary in weight for the same model is because it is very difficult to have exactly the same amount of coating all over but in this case I think that is missing altogether.
If you want to keep it it should be a very easy fix with this : https://www.bogong.com.au/gear-aid-tent ... -sure.html
(better for that floor than silicone)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Tue 25 Oct, 2022 7:27 pm

Thanks, Franco. I'll keep that up my sleeve. But when I pay that much for a new tent, I expect it to not have a fault. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 25 Oct, 2022 7:46 pm

Goods not fit for purpose = entitled to a remedy under Australian consumer law.

If it leaks ... Don't seal it yourself, doing so removes your warrantee ...
Return it.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Thu 03 Nov, 2022 5:32 pm

Update:
Wilderness Equipment continues to provide excellent customer service, above and beyond my expectations. I ended up contacting Henry directly, as per the back of the tent info booklet (before I saw the bit inside that said to contact the retailer first). He emailed me back the next day with an express post label to print out, which got the inner to him quickly without me having to pay anything. They pressure-tested that section of the floor, and found that while it was technically still waterproof, the flawed area has a lower waterhead than the rest of the floor. So he's replacing the inner for me, sending the new one by overnight courier. And he gave me the choice of sticking with the UL inner, or getting the stronger (more expensive) X inner at no extra cost. I'm very impressed.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bauera » Sat 05 Nov, 2022 4:35 pm

Excellent result, Tortoise.
Shows the value of dealing with an Australian company that values it's reputation for quality and support of it's products and purchasers. :D
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 08 Nov, 2022 1:55 pm

bauera wrote:Excellent result, Tortoise.
Shows the value of dealing with an Australian company that values it's reputation for quality and support of it's products and purchasers. :D

It sure does, Bauera. It's the second warranty issue I know of, and Wilderness Equipment responded quickly and very satisfactorily in that case as well. No arguments, and above and beyond expectation of customer service. I love it when I can trust and support great Aussie companies. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment