Marmot Guide down jacket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Marmot Guide down jacket

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 8:47 am

I've been looking for a medium weight winter parka for a while
WidEarth currently have the Marmot Guide on sale in my size.
Reasonably affordable at the moment; on sale to clear excess stock I guess.
Just a query on fit so I don't have to order and then return it if too small, is the fit guide for Marmot reasonably accurate?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Marmot Guide down jacket

Postby Lamont » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 10:44 am

I have a rain shell of theirs in L.
Last edited by Lamont on Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 9:04 am

Well they had one XXL left so with Ceciles grudging permission I just bought it.
According to the Marmot website it's the correct size but she says I have to sell something to make room. A real shame it was black because we all know red ones are warmer.
Might be here by Monday; I paid for express postage.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 6:52 am

Just a "Heads Up" for everybody.
Yesterday I received an email from the Australian distributor of Marmot [ I'd asked for extra information on the parka] and Marmot are withdrawing from the Australian market.
Not sure if that's why the parks are half price but there may be discounts on Marmot gear coming. Also when I checked today there were still XXL parks available so I didn't get the last one after all.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:48 am

Well the garment arrived. It's OK but it is called a "Down Hoody" not a parka and as a "Hoody" it is as described.
I have to say tho that the Marmot size guide is as unreliable as Macpacs and it fits more like a Large/Extra Large. There is very little room for layering in winter and it is filled for maximum loft not maximum warmth, especially as it is stitched through and not box walled. The cut is not "regular" as described but much more athletic and slim; especially in the sleeves.
This may create a problem with my Macpac Pisa top so I may need to go back to using the Patagonia R1 Ninja gridfleece and make a new windshirt.
Warmth wise it will sit between the Uniqlo UL and the old dinosaur and about equal to the Patagonia DAS I have been using but half the weight and bulk. Worth what I paid but not worth full Australian retail by a long margin and the fabric looks and feels fragile so not a mountaineering top despite the helmet shaped hood but probably suitable for sheltered static above the snowline here. Time will tell if it will need a shell over it for wind resistance and the extra warmth a secondary shell gives, it is not anywhere near large enough to wear as a belay parka, if I had an XXL Patgonia DAS rather than an XL it might layer over this but the XL is too small.
Hope this helps anybody thinking of buying one.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment