starting from the backpack..

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: starting from the backpack..

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 11:08 am

I have a friend who is selling an UL solo tent if interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gearfre ... ger_banner
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ditomagico » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 12:05 pm

thanks everyone,

I really like the Hilleberg inner liner already attached to the fly for a faster setup. the only other brand I found with this system is the Exped . The Venus II is a four seasons but they are a bit heavier (700 gr) than the Rogen. Still didn't find a Hilleberg seller here in Vic. Only wildearth in QLD seems selling them and they are out of stock :(

I tried the thermarest but I found the nemo more comfortable , 400gr lighter and pack smaller and same price range
ditomagico
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ditomagico » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi Moondog .. was looking for a 2 person tent. but thanks anyway . I didn't know that fb group.
ditomagico
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby EGM » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 12:54 pm

There are heaps of tents that pitch outer first.
Macpac, wilderness equipment, vango, Tarp tent, terra nova.

Buy a hilleberg if it's what you want but there are plenty of other options, WE second arrow would probably meet your needs for a fraction of cost and weight.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 1:08 pm

WE First Arrow or Second Arrow would be good. I have a Second Arrow and, while it isn't a Hilleberg, is not a bad compromise for a single shortarse who likes a bit of space. The First Arrow is a bit bigger, so better for two people. Vents at top both front and rear, plus a slightly higher sitting fly mean it breathes well. It's not that heavy which does become an issue as you get older.

Integral pitch has a lot of advantages, not least that the inner tent doesn't get wet while you pitch if the weather is bad, but you can still separate fly and inner easily if wanted.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Al M » Sun 02 Jan, 2022 5:35 pm

A lot of great suggestions above by others with common, opposing and divergent solutions, I couldn’t disagree with many except for saying beware of an undisciplined take all in the kitchen sink approach then work out the pack size, well how’s a 110L and 40kg worth pack sound :D

It looks like the OP is a beginner, wanting to get into other hikes and the gear will be used for future trips and worth getting the right gear to last but not overboard on expense. There are a lot of websites on how to manage a good pack base weight that suits you such as https://faroutguides.com/how-to-calcula ... se-weight/

Generally less should more without compromises comfort and safety as you don’t want to weigh yourself down unnecessarily affecting the hike enjoyment or cause physical exhaustion problems to the point of failure or worse.

As a beginner at least aim in between for lightweight category under 9kg base weight pack, includes everything except food, water and fuel, which then comes up to around 16-17kg total. You can go slightly higher or lower but try to avoid fully loaded pack towards 25kg and over for a 5 day Overlander hike, which is not a very extreme or long hike and where water is available. You would probably need a budget around $1-2k to achieve this, much less if second hand good condition used items can be found in Gumtree or here as you have time to gather and refine them 12 months out.

For example, among the basic items they should be around or under 1.8kg (<1.2kg) for 60L pack; depending if you are a warm or cold sleeper a down fill sleeping bag say -2 or -5C rated 1kg (<0.6kg); tent 1.7kg (<1.2kg); mattress 600g (<400g); cook set 500g (<300g); other doing the same items, clothes etc if you get the idea. However, if you ignore the weights and go all out kitchen sink approach it will easy double or triple the weight very quickly. The weight figures in brackets are suggested easily achievable if one makes further decisions based on available equipment out there and spends more. If you go that way there is already a 2kg saving with those several item choices above, so keep going and it can add up to around 4kg significant weight saving without being ultralight crazy and expensive.

There are previous similar posts about preparing for the Overland hike.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 7:14 am

A report from the Australian Army on carrying loads:

https://www.dst.defence.gov.au/sites/de ... R-2765.pdf

One extract:
“Recent evidence suggests that the individual’s load is increasing with advancing technologies and personal protective equipment. During current operations in Afghanistan anecdotal reports suggest that 50 kg is a common load carried by dismounted personnel whilst patrolling.”
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 7:16 am

Also, with your backpack, I recommend using it a few times then modifying it to suit your circumstances.
For example, I can’t think of a time that I would carry an icepick so I removed the straps specifically designed to hold one.
Same for other straps and clips that I never used.
Probably didn’t save a lot of weight, but simplified things.
ChrisJHC

Previous

Return to Equipment