Altra fit and a sock question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Altra fit and a sock question

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Dec, 2021 9:29 am

I just got my first pair of Altra shoes and so far I'm reasonably happy.
However they fit a tad tight using my usual Holeproof Explorer casual socks and wondering what sock combination others use in these and if a certain combination or single sock works better than others people have tried.
Aware naturally that it is a very personal decision but I need new socks anyway and I want to keep my current Injinji liners for the ski season
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Altra fit and a sock question

Postby sandym » Fri 17 Dec, 2021 1:09 pm

I love Altra's for trail running/bushwalking but since the company got sold to TNF I notice my shoes do not last near as long - but, hopefully, YMMV.

I only use a thin pair of el cheapo socks and have no problems, again YMMV. Altra's typically have a nice large toebox to allow your foot to spread but they can fit small in length compared to some other shoes.

Do you mind if I ask where you got them? I have always bought mine from Wildfire Sports online.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Dec, 2021 1:33 pm

Somebody was selling a pair on FaceBay, as they were cheap enough I took a chance on the fit. With Explorers just a tad tight in length even though they are nominally larger than my normal size 46 [ labled 46.5 UK 11] I paid $100- with no footbed, no problem as I have multiples here.
So far I like them but only walked a short distance. I'm thinking I may have to splurge on some Thorlo running socks
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Sat 18 Dec, 2021 6:26 am

I wear injinji poly liners and woolen socks (from Aldi) for bush walking in Altras.

But for normal walking around the park etc, I just wear a pair of woolen socks.

I went larger with my most recent pair of Altras because in the last pair (which were technically more than big enough), my second toe felt a bit close to the front of the shoe.

I wear inner soles with good arch support and that pushes the foot forward a bit too.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 21 Dec, 2021 7:58 am

So the thin cotton socks are too thin and explorers are too thick, so some midweight woollen socks will do fine.
It's taking me a little while to get used to the negative drop but I can feel my tendons stretching as I walk and that is a good thing I think.
I really like the wide toe box and generous forefoot width compared to normal runners
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sandym » Tue 21 Dec, 2021 2:36 pm

They are actually zero drop not negative, but we know what you mean :D
sandym

Region: New South Wales