Thoughts on Aarn Guiding Light pack please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thoughts on Aarn Guiding Light pack please

Postby jafa1970 » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 7:26 am

Hi, I am considering a second hand Aarn Guiding Light pack. I would appreciate anyone with experience with this pack providing any thoughts or feedback, things for consideration.

I am assuming this pack is no longer in production as it is not on the website. I have read the blurbs on resellers sites, and a few online reviews. There are a few comments on this forum around them too. Have read most recent threads on Aarn packs in this forum.

I have decided to try the Aarn system (the two septuagenarians I met at Lake St Clair having just completed OLT said the Aarn system has prolonged their hiking days sold it to me), am working out whether the Guiding Light will suit or not, or whether I wait for a different model to come up second hand (am in no rush). And trying to determine if the price is reasonable, any thoughts on pricing for a good condition Guiding Light pack would also be appreciated.

Info about me - I have not hiked for years due to knee issues. Kids are getting older and would like to try to get back into it to take them out. I expect I'd be doing 1-3 night trips, but have always wanted to do OLT and South Coast Tracks, so after a pack that could do the longer trips.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
jafa1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Thoughts on Aarn Guiding Light pack please

Postby matagi » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 1:35 pm

If you have not already done so, go see a physiotherapist about your knees and tell them specifically that you are thinking of returning to hiking. They can then assess and recommend appropriate exercises.

As for Aarn packs - hubby and I have several in our collection although not a Guiding Light (Load Limo, Peak Aspiration, Mountain Magic and Liquid Agility). I have a Peak Aspiration size S (50 litre capacity not counting the balance pockets) which I am thinking of getting rid of - replaced it with a size M. I see your location says Tasmania, so you're welcome to come and check it out if you wish. I work in Launceston and live in the North West.

The range of Aarn packs has diminished considerably in the past few years and it is now under new owners, so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jafa1970 » Tue 16 Nov, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks very much for the offer @matagi. I am in Hobart sadly, and am 6'2", so S not going to be my sizing :)
jafa1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rai » Wed 17 Nov, 2021 10:31 pm

jafa1970 wrote:Thanks very much for the offer @matagi. I am in Hobart sadly, and am 6'2", so S not going to be my sizing :)

With Aarn packs it is the combination of pack type, harness size, and waist belt size (and perhaps balance pocket size) that seems to determine the most comfortable fit, not necessarily the pack size S, M or L, in my experience. For example, I have a large Effortless Rhythm with a large harness and medium waist belt, but my go to pack is a large Peak Aspiration with a small harness and a medium waist belt. Small size balance pockets are the best fit for my Peak Aspiration combo whereas any size fits the Effortless Rhythm. So for me it is small harness for one pack and large harness for the other.

My point is that if you get the opportunity, do try out whatever sized Aarn pack combo is available. If you get the fitting right, it will be well worth it. Take it from someone who did their first overnight hike when well into their fifties and has weak quads and one troublesome knee.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby peregrinator » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 8:21 am

I'd agree with Jai. I have a large size ER pack and large size pockets, in combination with a small size hipbelt. Perfect for me, probably hopeless for most. But greatly superior to any conventional pack I've had.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 11:59 am

matagi wrote: I have a Peak Aspiration size S (50 litre capacity not counting the balance pockets) which I am thinking of getting rid of

I don't need another pack but, just in case, what size is the hipbelt?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 1:41 pm

jafa1970 wrote:I have decided to try the Aarn system (the two septuagenarians I met at Lake St Clair having just completed OLT said the Aarn system has prolonged their hiking days sold it to me), am working out whether the Guiding Light will suit or not, or whether I wait for a different model to come up second hand (am in no rush).

Info about me - I have not hiked for years due to knee issues.

Just to put in my tuppence-worth:

There was a time I thought an Aarn pack would be the bees' knees for me. But after a number of hours with an expert in Melbourne (Tim?), we decided that they just didn't work well enough for my anatomy - a dodgy sacroiliac joint, etc. :cry:

So I went with a traditional pack, though smaller and much lighter than my huge old canvas one. I also started on the road of going lighter with my gear. I gradually changed some big items, and heaps of small items. I eventually dropped from taking 23 kg for a week (far too much for my size), to 14 kg for 10 days. I now walk much more upright because of the lighter load. In my 60s, I'm doing harder walks than I did when I was younger. I think the overall weight you carry will have more impact on your knees than whether it's a back pack or a body pack. Of course, you could do both.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 3:26 pm

north-north-west wrote:
matagi wrote: I have a Peak Aspiration size S (50 litre capacity not counting the balance pockets) which I am thinking of getting rid of

Medium
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 4:23 pm

That's a relief. Medium's too big for me.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby jafa1970 » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks all for your comments / thoughts.

Ended up buying it. Getting the balance pockets at the end of the month, then will work on getting the fit working.

Cheers
jafa1970
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joynz » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 3:07 am

matagi wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

Medium

There is currently another Guiding Light pack on Facebook Marketplace with a small hipbelt and new balance pockets.

Was listed 2 days ago - in Launceston.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment