Long Lasting/Sustainable Ultralight/Lightweight Gear?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Long Lasting/Sustainable Ultralight/Lightweight Gear?

Postby Silver_Skies » Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:34 pm

Hello all! First post here :)

After spending the last 3 months in lockdown I have become fixated on an aspiration of taking up hiking as a new hobby/lifestyle. Given that I have had an excess of time researching hiking and gear tips and started collecting bits and pieces ready to get out into the world, I have realised that there isn't much discussion on the sustainbility of gear (other than sometimes within the manufacturing) and what is long lasting gear, especially in noting that ultralight gear seems to somewhat disposable, with many synthetic fabrics being expected to breakdown within a certain amount of time.

Being an environmentalist at heart (as I'm sure many of you can relate to!), sustainability is something really important to the way I approach things.

I am wondering what is out there that is long lasting and more sustainable, while still being light weight and practical? And if gear is disposable, what gear can be recycled and how?

It seems that packs, footwear, tents and clothing will be the things that will wear out the fastest.

So far I have decided on getting a OnePlanet Mungo pack (locally made too!). I know this pack is on the heavy side but should last me a lifetime. My rationale is that I am okay having a heavy backpack if it lasts, and can focus on as much ultralight gear for everything else.

Are there any hiking shoes/boots that are going to last me years of regular use (and at best can be repaired) that are still going to be lightweight?

Are there any tents made of synthetic materials that are less liekly to degrade that I should look out for?

Can camp-stove fuel cannisters be refilled, and if so, how?

What else is there to consider to keep gear out of landfill?

Also with buying things to last in mind, I've been considering getting a wide-brimmed fur-felt to keep the sun and rain off, though I'm not sure how practical it may be to take on multi-day hikes in the long run. Anyone have experience with hiking with a fur-felt hat?

Thank you!
Silver_Skies
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Long Lasting/Sustainable Ultralight/Lightweight Gear?

Postby ribuck » Fri 29 Oct, 2021 10:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Silver Skies.

Silver_Skies wrote:...Anyone have experience with hiking with a fur-felt hat?
My favourite beanie was bought in New Zealand and is made from possum fur. It's light, warm, comfortable and biodegradable.

To save on steel gas canisters, you can refill them (which may be illegal), or you can cook over locally-sourced carbon-neutral wood. Methylated spirits is also carbon neutral. Gas isn't, and its steel canister certainly isn't.

Unfortunately, most biodegradable materials are heavy (e.g. canvas tents and backpacks). I think a good second-best is materials that are "safe in landfill".
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 5:53 am

ribuck wrote: ... or you can cook over locally-sourced carbon-neutral wood ...

Which has its own environmental issues and is illegal in many areas for that very reason.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 7:11 am

Buy used, buy good quality gear that fits you and is fit for purpose and use it until it wears out; make do with what you have and make what you do have do more.
Wide brimmed hats in fur felt are OK with old style short packs but don't work well with tall skinny ones and work best in hot dry sunny conditions.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 9:08 am

Really keen to hear people's views on this. When I started bushwalking I wore cotton and wool, my boots were leather and you could consider it all natural and biodegradable. When we finished with the clothes they went in the ragbag that someone would collect. Nowadays apart from some wool socks all my gear is synthetic and I don't think any of it is recyclable or environmentally friendly. In terms of equipment we used canvas tents and rucksacks which were heavy and long lasting, and bushwalking was one part fun and one part army training. I don't want to go back there but these days I'm not sure I would trust a 10 year old tent in the wilderness.

Not sure what the answer is apart from (as Moondog says) buy quality and use it until it wears out. I think that's the best you can do.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 9:24 am

I hike in an Akubra and it’s great!
Keeps the rain and sun off well.
Works fine with my pack but check before you buy.
I carry a strap to tie it on when windy. Rarely use it.

As previously mentioned, a metho stove is probably the most sustainable (after wood).
Make the stove out of a used tuna or soft-drink can for bonus credits!

Packs and boots should last many years if looked after.
Same with tents, hammocks and tarps.

What else?
Bamboo socks
Bamboo undies
Merino shirt and mid-layer
Lots of down (which can pose animal-treatment problems but at least isn’t made from oil)

Hope that helps!
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby EGM » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 10:34 am

I am big on this too.
My main principle is to buy things that are going to last a really long time which I think is more important than how it's made but of course taking both into account. I prefer synthetic clothing with Patagonia being a favourite, alot of their clothes are made from recycled plastic drink bottles and the quality is exceptional.
When it comes to shoes you usually get what you pay for and there are certain brands known for lasting way longer but that depends on which style you go for, I like la sportivas.

An alcohol stove is easily the most green option, you can pick up a trangia on gumtree for $50-$100.

Tents and shelters I would avoid anything pu coated as that's the first thing to go and just whatever you buy make sure it's quality.

Most of the other stuff, pack, sleeping bag and mat, pots, etc will all last aged if well looked after so don't stress.

With very few exceptions if you want something to be light, good quality and green you're going to have to pay up big time.
I buy almost everything second hand but I know that's not for everyone.

Edit: ultralight gear isn't as disposable as some may want you to believe. One planet describe the mungo as fast and light but at 2.4kg that is far from the truth.

The only boots that can be repaired are heavy leather ones which are overkill for most scenarios.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 2:32 pm

To use an old photography adage, “The best Camera is the one you have with you”. If you want to be environmentally friendly, use, fix, patch whatever you already own.
I went down the UL rabbit hole a while ago and I think the best thing I did was research, research, research. Buy once. If you can’t afford it, wait until you can.

TL:DR
There are so many swings and roundabouts with this issue.

As an example, my ultralight pack is a WT Sonder that weighs 480g as opposed to the Mungo @ 2.5k. The Mungo's Waterloc Canvas also contains Nylon (so not recyclable I'm afraid), and they don't say how much Nylon. It's also made of 1000D Nylon. Does it contain more petrochemical product than the Sonder? What was the actual environmental cost of manufacture of these packs? What is the longevity of these pack? I’ve walked close to 100 days with the Sonder. It’s a bit dirtier and marked but still no sign of deterioration. Is it a better environmental investment than the Mungo, I don’t think anyone can say.

I bought a sleeping bag. Apparently, the Down was sourced humanly but was it really? Is the manufacturer telling the truth? Was the manufacturer hoodwinked by the down supplier?

You can ask these questions for every item you buy and I think you should, but it's impossible to know for sure.

Another environmental question that needs to be asked is to compare bushwalking to other holiday options. You stay in a hotel or a house for a week. What is the environmental cost of building and maintaining that property over the life of the building, divided by the week you spent there? I personally think a bushwalking holiday is the friendlier option. What's the environmental cost of just staying at home. That has a cost as well.

Lots of questions with no real answers you can hang your hat on.

I think there are some things you can do to minimise your environmental footprint. The 3 key points to my mind are 1) Try not to buy crap you don’t need. 2) Research to avoid buying stuff you are not happy with. You can on sell that stuff but better to buy once. 3) Look after your gear.

Buy the right gear for you and look after it.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 5:47 am

Interesting topic.

Agree it's harder to make highly sustainable choices with gear especially modern light weight gear.

An alternative is to reduce your environmental foot print overall. I think car use is a big one. Do you need to drive?

Is walking or bike riding or catching public transport a viable option? Often the bus or train only adds 30% to the journey time. Walking your shopping home builds endurance, fitness and strength. That's all good for bushwalking.

I can be in the blue mountains by train in 2 hours. It takes 1 hour 25 mins to drive. And I can multitask on the train.. answer work emails etc etc.

If public transport is not practical can you car pool with other members of your walking party?

Now we are out of lockdown people are starting to think about air travel again. It's a massive polluter.. consider adding a few more dollars to the airfare cost by opting into the airlines carbon offset program.

Just some ways..I'm sure there are many more.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 7:26 am

With the original comment about getting one pack and using it for life: I don’t know how old you are, but you might find that a heavy pack becomes a liability as you get a bit older.

Perhaps apply the principles of adaptable housing - buy something that you can still use with slightly worn joints! A pack for life!

I bought my Aarn packs second hand - so reusing and saving money at the same time! And I chose this brand/design - because though not ultra light, the ‘body pack design is so effective that you don’t feel the weight - so it really is a ‘pack for life’.

I’ve even bought near-new boots and trail runners second hand.

Fabrics are a difficult one. You can use a canvas hat but a recent article about the environmental cost of cotton shopping bags days there is a big environmental cost to producing cotton!

A really sustainable thing is not to wash things too often (my Macpac shirt suggests this on the label) - so merino helps with this.

And learn to darn socks!
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby spacemandave » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 7:35 pm

There is a new pack fabric called Ecopak made by Challenge that they are marketing as 100% recycled polyester. Some international pack makers are using it, and I believe an Australian pack maker is using the material now - I recall it mentioned in another thread but can't put my finger on it (or find it via search). Apparently it's an excellent pack fabric.

EDIT:
For an overview of Ecopak from an American hiking site see https://thetrek.co/ecopak-revolutionising-thru-hiking-packs-for-a-better-planet/
Wilderness Threadworks have Ecopak (the EPX200 version) as a fabric choice. Other Aussie manufacturers might also.
Last edited by spacemandave on Wed 03 Nov, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemandave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Eremophila » Wed 03 Nov, 2021 6:31 am

Another thing to consider….. buy local or buy instore if possible, where the goods have already been shipped in bulk. Online ordering of individual items means more flights/truck trips to bring that item to your door.

With the massive increase in online shopping worldwide, although it has brought us so much choice, how many flights are in the air at any given time full of non-essential items that people simply MUST have as soon as possible - the latest gadget / home decor trend / disposable fashion item ? A good proportion of this stuff will be in landfill in a matter of months.
Eremophila

Postby Biggles » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 3:46 pm

Are there any hiking shoes/boots that are going to last me years of regular use (and at best can be repaired) that are still going to be lightweight?

Lightweight doesn't necessary equate to long, trouble-free use. I can think of SCARPA (there are others I've had with great use e.g. Rossi) which have given me many years of reliable use before needing replacement. Hiking shoes/boots are difficult, if not beyond repair when hydrolysis sets in at the last: once it's in there, it will continue to wreak gradual destruction of the shoe, sometimes as the most inconvenient (or hazardous) time. Also, if walking in Central Australia where temperatures can be searing, cheaply made boots will simply fall apart and no amount of glue 'n gaffer is going to save the day.

Are there any tents made of synthetic materials that are less liekly to degrade that I should look out for?
All synthetic tent materials will degrade over time with exposure to the sun and elements. Many people don't care how or where they erect their tent. Putting it up in searing sun is going to stuff coated nylon quickly.

Can camp-stove fuel cannisters be refilled, and if so, how?

They are manufactured to a safe fill standard. When empty, they are recycled. That includes all commonly found butane/propane gas cylinders. They go into recycling. I asked the question about refilling them years ago. Never know, they make be reincarnated as your next coffee mug... :lol:

What else is there to consider to keep gear out of landfill?
I think keeping old backpacks out of landfill is high on my priority list. My last two backpacks, and that would be going back 35 years, were passed on to a) a school student; and b) an older walker. That was now many years ago. Were they recycled? Thrown out? Pulled apart and repurposed? Who knows.

Also with buying things to last in mind, I've been considering getting a wide-brimmed fur-felt to keep the sun and rain off, though I'm not sure how practical it may be to take on multi-day hikes in the long run. Anyone have experience with hiking with a fur-felt hat?
Practicality is an issue. You surely won't be wearing a hat of any type all the time. So one that can be folded up and placed in your pack might be more practical.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 07 Nov, 2021 6:28 pm

I don't think that there is any one right set of choices. On the one hand, having the right gear means we leave less trace in the wilderness, and lower our impact that way. But how we do that might differ between folks. Do you take the non-stick pot that takes less water/soap to clean, but was more hazardous to produce, or do you take the stainless or titanium pot that burns on at the blink of an eye, but will last decades and had a lower impact?

There are also the ethics of the manufacturer, which can be a rabbit hole and a half to fall down.

I'm an absolute gear fiend, and so I must admit to owning far more than I need. However, I look at the gear based on its durability, its repairability, and the overall reputation of the company for long term support. I've spent more on some gear than I otherwise would, but I have high confidence that if I need to I can get replacement parts. I'm also reasonably decent at sewing, so I'd certainly give most repairs a go myself.

Another big factor is the consumables (I honestly include shoes in this category) single serve are convenient, and to be honest, repackaging into vac-bags might not always be the best answer, but if you can buy in bulk and make meals that suit you, that seems like a better option. If your house has a lowered power impact, then dehydrating food at home is an option (for those of us in non-solar houses, I'm guessing its pretty much a wash) That's going to have a bigger impact, unless you are really churning through gear.

At the end of the day, we can only account for the costs we know about, so its worth understanding what we can, but likewise, I'd rather 100 people who will advocate for keeping parks and tracks open than 10 people who lead environmentally monastic lives.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby headwerkn » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 9:09 am

Personally I've found if you bushwalk enough in 'serious' conditions you'll wear out gear regardless, whether it's ultralight or 1970s tech.

Doing silly things like trying to wear paper thin rainpants and lightweight boots in off track scrub bashes will kill gear unreasonably fast, so perhaps there is a fair argument for a certain amount of GAS, so one's gear can appropriately match the walk being undertaken at the time.... ultralight gear for suitable trails, heavier gear for tougher/winter trips etc. But even "heavy duty" stuff will invariably die beyond the point of reparability and need replacing sooner or later.

Gadgetgeek's right about plastics for repackaging foods... I do wonder about all those ziplock bags that lighten and reduce waste carried out on track, but ultimately end up in the bin no matter how much I try to reuse them. All the better at least if you start with home prepped food that didn't come in plastic initially.

Maybe best to consider the broader environmental impacts of your life in general... the house you live in, how it is heated/cooled/powered, how you commute to/from work etc. are all likely to have a much, much greater impact than how many packs or tents or boots you own ;-)

Says me with way too many packs but no kids, heheh...
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 11:44 am

headwerkn wrote:Says me with way too many packs but no kids, heheh...

Not having children is one of the best things you can do help the environment.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 12:04 pm

Good discussion and a tricky topic. Just a couple of thoughts:
- Buying an indestructible 2.4kg pack seems foolish to me when gear is constantly getting lighter and lighter. It is so hard to resist the temptation to reduce your load by buying new gear, especially as you get older and joints suffer from additional weight! Maybe the OP will be immune to this temptation but I know I would find it hard to keep using a pack that heavy when I knew there were alternatives less than half the weight. Then I'd end up buying something else, increasing my environmental impact.
- Re the ziplock bag discussion: We use them over and over again, before they eventually end up in soft-plastics recycling. Almost all of the food that goes into them is home made. It has to go in something, and if we were buying commercially prepared meals then they would come in much heavier duty plastic packaging. You can also buy ziplocks now that aren't plastic (probably not safe for rehydrating meals in though!).
- As mentioned, buying second hand is a good way to save money and reduce your impact. And when you do replace gear that's still functional, then selling or giving the old gear away to enable someone else to avoid buying new is better than leaving it sitting there doing nothing (I'm guilty of this - need to clear out a few things!).
Drew

Return to Equipment