International shipping delays

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

International shipping delays

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 8:51 am

Has anyone else been experiencing long shipping delays for gear ordered from the US?

I have a tent which has been sitting at San Francisco airport for almost 4 weeks now apparently awaiting 'a departure flight' It's being shipped by USPS/Auspost and there have been no further tracking updates.

Other recent stuff I've ordered from Amazon US has been delivered with 14 days.. similar from Europe (non Amazon) stuff was delivered within 14-18 days..

Getting a bit concerned..
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: International shipping delays

Postby crollsurf » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 5:01 pm

Normally you get an update saying it's left the US and then maybe weeks later, with no updates, it arrives at your doorstep. So what you're saying, sounds likes its been lost.

I ordered a Visp rain jacket from Enlightened Equipment on July 23 via DHL Express and arrived July 30. Thats never happened before. Usually takes around 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Last edited by crollsurf on Tue 17 Aug, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 5:54 pm

:lol: :lol:

I just received a tracking update... Apparently, my tent got into the Olympic Spirit and decided to visit Tokyo, Japan. I do hope it got to watch some interesting competitions while it was there.

It’s now on its way back to Australia, lets see if it has to do the same length of quarantine as our athletes!

I’m going to be very interested to see the label... not sure how any postal scanner can mistake Australia for Japan unless an entire pallet was put on the wrong aircraft.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 6:42 pm

I have had plenty of usps packages go via Japan from LA and SF. It’s sucks. As soon as they arrive they just sit there waiting. It takes weeks on top of a direct flight from the west coast.

I always opt for DHL, UPS, fedex or USPS express when I can.

What did you get?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 8:09 am

Interesting. wonder why so many head to Japan. It doesn't sound more efficient for the carrier and definitely not for the person awaiting the goods.

It's a pro trail Li. :)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 10:10 am

YES!!! I just sat down at my computer to track parcels now.
I have a pack coming from the UK which has landed in Sydney and seems to be making good time.
I have 2x other packages coming from the US however that seem to be having a grand old time of sight seeing across the US and then needing to rest awhile at various points ie, Chicago, LA. I am soon to have a third sent from the US and am not keen on playing the waiting game on that one either. Christmas maybe????
The only thing I got out of the US in a reasonable time frame recently was sent from Utah and the shipping cost was pretty high so perhaps it was a quicker service?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 10:12 am

Ha ha Protrails DO like to see the sights Wild Wanderer. My own Pt Li landed in Sydney (about 4 hours from my home) and then went on a jaunt to Melbourne, before coming back to Sydney to finally be sorted to arrive here.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 10:27 am

Yep, Covid continues to cause real stress to international supply chains.

It's important to realise the most postal services don't have their own planes. They have to buy space from airlines / freight companies. In usual times, passenger flights also carry some cargo. That's how a lot of postal items move. With Australia's limits on incoming passenger numbers, the amount of flights has plummeted. At the same time, online sales have surged, causing extra demand for space. The end result is things moving a lot slower.

There's also been real sea freight delays / cost increases, which impacts importers and distributors. This is also causing supply issues and price increases for products bought in Australia.

If you're ordering something from overseas that you want urgently, consider paying extra to use an international courier like FedEx or DHL. They have their own freight aircraft, so are less constrained. They also have far superior distribution channels. It's possible to receive items from the US and Europe in less than a week (I've had some arrive in a matter of days) when using these services. They're obviously more expensive, but in the current climate it's the only way to guarantee prompt international delivery.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 10:30 am

The other point to note is that Australia's customs service is getting stricter with imposing GST on international orders. If you're buying something with a value of $1000 or more (or anywhere close to that) expect some scrutiny. That can add a few days for things to get cleared on arrival in Australia. One of the reasons FedEx / DHL / UPS etc are so much faster is that they sort out the customs stuff before the product lands. That way it's cleared, and any GST that will be imposed is already paid, before the product even lands.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby picklemuncher » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 10:54 am

Yep, I often get them sitting in Sydney for a week or two "awaiting international clearance", then they seem to be cleared and arrive at my place in Melbourne within a few hrs
picklemuncher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 1:42 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
It's a pro trail Li. :)

Nice! I love mine.

Hot tip. Tarptent will ship via UPS to Aus for $80Aud. Just ask them. It takes no more than 5 business days to your door.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 18 Aug, 2021 2:23 pm

I don't purchase frequently from overseas — my eye is on warranty and after-sale service, not convenience. All the outdoor equipment I need is readily available here from myriad outlets.

My many other purchases though — high-end photographic, are from Switzerland, and sent priority urgent international express.
I bought an ALPA ALPA 12 STC (https://www.alpa.swiss/products/010-900-010-alpa-12-stc) on 5th May ex-Zurich IMC, and it arrived on 14th, GST-paid by PACCON Logistics (based in NSW). ALPA, as with many Swiss companies (Tissot, among) gets goods moving irrespective of bottlenecks in the international movements chain. It's the way the Swiss do things — on time! The last time I used FedEx goods (7 filters) from Vermont/USA took 8 weeks to get to me! Pffft.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby fixa » Thu 19 Aug, 2021 5:37 pm

I had a package from Zpacks ship last wednesday, had it in my had on Tuesday. I also ordered some stuff from a place in CA on Monday, they shipped same day, had it on friday! (This was 3 weeks ago).

I've noticed stuff will sometimes go either via Japan, Honolulu, and once via Dubai.... Depends on what the carrier is doing at the time i guess.
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby michael_p » Thu 19 Aug, 2021 6:26 pm

There are also algorithms for solving the most efficient route for freight to be moved. What may seem inefficient can actually be the most efficient way based on the algorithm. The algorithm knows best. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CaptainC » Wed 25 Aug, 2021 8:39 pm

Yeah, I ordered something from the UK worth $1200 and got hit with customs and GST.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 28 Aug, 2021 10:26 pm

My UK parcel and one of my US parcels arrived in the past week, so a bit over 2 weeks postage time. My other US parcel has sat at Chicago Airport for 14days now with no updates. It was sent priority as well and prior to my other international parcels. Thibk I may need to follow that up.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 8:01 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:My UK parcel and one of my US parcels arrived in the past week, so a bit over 2 weeks postage time. My other US parcel has sat at Chicago Airport for 14days now with no updates. It was sent priority as well and prior to my other international parcels. Thibk I may need to follow that up.

I still haven't received mine. Although it's in Australia now making its way through the auspost system. There are a lot of delays at Australia Post as well due to COVID impacts. So far over 6 weeks for a priority shipment lol.

At least I now know it's moving in the system and not lost. Im fairly chill about the long ship time now, with the lockdown I cant really use it anyway.

I wonder if yours has gone to checkout the para olympics Ms Mudd. Maybe we were both confused and 'priority' ment priority seats :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 8:31 am

wildwanderer wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:
I wonder if yours has gone to checkout the para olympics Ms Mudd. Maybe we were both confused and 'priority' ment priority seats :lol:

It may well have. At least it can travel, even if I can't!

Yes, the long postal time just increases anticipation and excitement, which in these times is a great thing :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 8:43 am

Ms_Mudd, I have had stuff remain unscanned, for well over two weeks before popping up again in Japan, Sydney, or wherever. Presumably sitting at an airport waiting for a ride. As has been pointed out earlier, opting for shipping via one of the companies that run their own aircraft can shorten wait times considerably, albeit at a cost.

You may find any follow attempt makes no difference to when it arrives and takes up a lot of time and mental energy. My only follow up was after about two months for an item for which I had received no tracking data at all, and was from a very small and helpful UK business. I think the answer to that was that through some oversight the item had never been sent, and a replacement arrived within a few weeks.

I've been buying stuff that I couldn't get here from overseas for well over forty years, first via aerogram, then via fax. Zero tracking. In some cases sea mail. Even in covid times, things are better than they were. :D

It is what it is. :( I don't concern myself, although I do from time to time check on stuff in transit.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 29 Aug, 2021 1:30 pm

It will arrive at some point and have quite the tale to tell I am sure ;-)

I wish that I could buy more things locally, and I do when I can, but the market demand here is just not big enough to demand a large choice in items.

Sea mail! That would have been a slow old route!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 10:24 pm

wildwanderer wrote: :lol: :lol:

I just received a tracking update... Apparently, my tent got into the Olympic Spirit and decided to visit Tokyo, Japan. I do hope it got to watch some interesting competitions while it was there.

My pack was in Tokyo too! I just received a flurry of updates. It decided to land in Brisbane to congratulate them on the Olympic host win and now as meandered down to Sydney. Goodness knows how long until it gets to me, it may need a covid swab and some self isolation if it visits any hotspots
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 10 Sep, 2021 8:30 am

DHL EXPRESSSSSSS COMEDYGOLD
LOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST
IN
TRANSSSSSSSLATIONNNNNNNFARK
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 10 Sep, 2021 10:36 pm

It is comedy gold, I wonder where it will pop up next!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 6:48 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
My pack was in Tokyo too! I just received a flurry of updates. It decided to land in Brisbane to congratulate them on the Olympic host win and now as meandered down to Sydney. Goodness knows how long until it gets to me, it may need a covid swab and some self isolation if it visits any hotspots

These packages are really racking up the frequent flyer miles.

Mine finally arrived. But disappointed there was no olympic souvenirs included.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 7:06 pm

Aw, mine missed out on an exotic holiday without me. On the other hand, it's been a week since it left Sydney, so you never know...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm still waiting on a package to get here from Brisbane that was supposedly sent three weeks ago.
Turned out they sent it from the warehouse to the distributor's office rather than to me, for some strange reason.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 5:32 pm

My package arrived!!!!
Wahooooo
Zimmerbuilt custom QuickStep-- pretty darn happy. Worth the wait for sure.

Tortoise, is your package on your doorstep yet?
Attachments
20210914_161709.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 5:52 pm

Excellent choice on the Quickstep. I regret selling mine.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 6:54 pm

Just to make people jealous, I had a package sent from NZ last Thursday arrive on Monday. I can't get stuff sent across Sydney that fast at the moment!
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 14 Sep, 2021 7:37 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Tortoise, is your package on your doorstep yet?

Hey Muddy. Yes!!!!!! It was at the door when I got home tonight. The Notch Li is now pitched in my lounge room, courtesy of furniture, wheat bags and a pumpkin. :D
It took longer to get here from Sydney than it took to get there from California. How's about yours?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Equipment