Overpriced socks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Overpriced socks

Postby Hikrazy » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 6:44 pm

I have been paying $25 for brand name hiking socks for years and getting 50% wool socks.
I searched for a higher wool content with a Tasmanian trip in mind and found locally produced 90% wool socks for only $12.
Attachments
20210713_101033.jpg
Very thick and soft
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Overpriced socks

Postby Avatar » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 7:15 pm

I'm a UK 9.5 or EU 43.5 but I'd go with the size 11-14. These would also make great bed socks.
Aldi just had a special buy July 10, Hiking socks 2 pairs of 59% merino wool, 20% nylon, 19% acrylic and 2% elastane for $12.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-10-july/saturday-detail-wk27/ps/p/adults-wool-blend-hiking-socks-2pk-4/
Last edited by Avatar on Thu 15 Jul, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 7:16 pm

I love buying Australian. Do they have a website?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 7:43 pm

Looks like this could be the company.

https://www.aust-woollenmills.com/shop/ ... socks/6085
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Thu 15 Jul, 2021 7:56 pm

Awesome find. Real wool lumberjack shirt is tempting. Note vintage fabrics for those with sewing machines, AND they have those for sale as well!
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 9:22 am

Great post, thank you.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 10:28 am

And a lovely red long sleeve merino top. Gorgeous! Thank you (for breaking my budget).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby gayet » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 10:33 am

And I think I'll need to ask them to produce knee warmers for those with artificial knees. Use the fabric as for the footwarmers, as a tube, with ribbing bands top and bottom, thicker at front than at back. I don't have fake knees but have been asked to knit some one who does. First pass only moderately successful.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 11:08 am

Interesting comments on the website:
ORDERS phone-1800355411 Factory outlet also at 8 Trade Place, Coburg. only by appointment.This outlet has had an armed robbery and attempts to murder the owner. Melbourne a city of crime.
:shock:

Some good products and a good range of sizing. One item in my cart so far..... the red "skivvie".

Edit: just found the thicker skivvies in other colours. Hmmmm.

Edit Edit: they are the same product, lightweight apparently. Red not available. Grey and plum on the way. :D I do love a skivvy and the lightweight merino is perfect to wear to work (office). My wardrobe is stocked with camphor after losing a favourite one a couple of years back to insects.
Eremophila

Postby Biggles » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 3:03 pm

Victoria Market has a sock seller; I bought both summer and winter (70% wool/30% nylon) socks there just after the lockdown finished in November last year. Not sure if it is the seller mentioned in this thread.

I believe the big name brands are grossly over-priced to the point of anti-competitive gouging. And this is not restricted to socks, either!!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hikrazy » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 3:57 pm

crollsurf wrote:I love buying Australian. Do they have a website?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

https://www.aust-woollenmills.com/
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lizzy » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 3:59 pm

Added some hiking socks to cart & shipping seems to be $6 per pair of socks. Cost doesn’t seem to decrease with larger quantities…. So not quite so good a deal when 6 pairs of socks has $36 postage :(
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 4:59 pm

Ouch! Might be worth a phone call?

Shipping was $17 for the two skivvies.
Eremophila

Postby Joynz » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 7:26 pm

Avatar wrote:I'm a UK 9.5 or EU 43.5 but I'd go with the size 11-14. These would also make great bed socks.
Aldi just had a special buy July 10, Hiking socks 2 pairs of 59% merino wool, 20% nylon, 19% acrylic and 2% elastane for $12.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-10-july/saturday-detail-wk27/ps/p/adults-wool-blend-hiking-socks-2pk-4/

I have lots of these - and just bought 4 more pairs.
One warning - the heels wear out really quickly - at the top of the heel.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregG » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 9:16 pm

I noticed on their web site (Australian Knitting Mills) that they have 50 sewing machines for sale, various kinds and prices. Being a sewing illiterate I didnt make much sense of it but thought it might be interesting to the keen sewers amongst us. Moondog? Lamont?
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Avatar » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 11:49 pm

Joynz wrote:
Avatar wrote:Aldi just had a special buy July 10, Hiking socks 2 pairs of 59% merino wool, 20% nylon, 19% acrylic and 2% elastane for $12.

Thanks for the heads up. Disappointing. Might just use them for bedsocks then.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 7:42 am

GregG wrote:I noticed on their web site (Australian Knitting Mills) that they have 50 sewing machines for sale, various kinds and prices. Being a sewing illiterate I didnt make much sense of it but thought it might be interesting to the keen sewers amongst us. Moondog? Lamont?

Goodonya Greg. Ta for the notice.
Have had a good look and unfortunately nothing to tickle my fancy.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 10:21 am

Joynz wrote:
Avatar wrote:Aldi just had a special buy July 10, Hiking socks 2 pairs of 59% merino wool, 20% nylon, 19% acrylic and 2% elastane for $12.

Thanks for the heads up. Disappointing. Might just use them for bedsocks then.

I find these socks pretty useless for bushwalking -they need to be Merino and Nylon only I reckon and they wear through underfoot, all over, way too quick, but the top part remains in perfect condition so....
when they wear out underfoot--
cut the foot off and you have calf/knee warmers.
I often use synthetic anklet socks and pull the woolen sock/tube that's left, over my calf on cold mornings. They stay in place running.
Haven't unraveled and just have a cut edge but, you could darn up the edges easily in a few minutes per sock. They will last for ever.
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 17 Jul, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 12:35 pm

Just wondering how their footwarmers would do as tent/ hut slippers with a sole glued or stitched on
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hikrazy » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 2:04 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Just wondering how their footwarmers would do as tent/ hut slippers with a sole glued or stitched on

Am trying them out as bed and hiking socks in 2 weeks in Tassie
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 18 Jul, 2021 4:07 am

Costco’s Kirkland hiking socks for me for quite a few years now but they seemed to have stopped men’s. Women’s are still available.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Wed 21 Jul, 2021 7:54 pm

Sorry mods, please move this post if necessary.
Received my skivvies/jumpers from Australian Knitting Mills very promptly on Monday. Texture and colour a little school-jumper-ish but not scratchy at all. The plum colour is nice, the grey is a very light grey. Sizing good, not small.
A staff member did text me to advise the colour I had ordered wasn’t available, which I thought was a nice touch.
Received a hand-corrected pamphlet with my order which has some handy sizing info, although they forgot to add in some of the “New Prices on Coats”. And a bizarre comment included in the pamphlet about being “black banned”.
The transaction appears on my account as PayPal even though I used a debit card which is not linked to my PayPal account. This is the only new merchant I’ve purchased from recently.
Today I see a number of fraudulent transactions on my account, all of them took place between 2am and 3am.
Now I’m not suggesting this company is connected to the fraudulent transactions. But in view of their unsophisticated website I’m wondering how good their cyber security is. The timing seems rather coincidental.
They do provide a pay-by-phone option as well, or by bank deposit.
Attachments
2A0327AC-1BE9-4DB2-8DF5-48493E8A74D3.jpeg
2A0327AC-1BE9-4DB2-8DF5-48493E8A74D3.jpeg (23.88 KiB) Viewed 20420 times
8FD1DA4D-8ABE-4181-B09C-6DA6762D9D86.jpeg
8FD1DA4D-8ABE-4181-B09C-6DA6762D9D86.jpeg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 20420 times
B97623A8-D13E-4D1E-89FF-036BC7EB8FA6.jpeg
B97623A8-D13E-4D1E-89FF-036BC7EB8FA6.jpeg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 20420 times
48F454EC-B7BB-41DA-BEC4-96B4CA197F3B.jpeg
48F454EC-B7BB-41DA-BEC4-96B4CA197F3B.jpeg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 20420 times
Last edited by Eremophila on Thu 22 Jul, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eremophila

Postby Voltaire » Thu 22 Jul, 2021 12:19 pm

Many thanks - was just about to go and buy some "overpriced" socks, but have ordered a few through this site to compare. A$50 for 3 socks with postage, about what I'd pay for 1 sock elsewhere. As someone noted above though, the online function doesn't seem to discount for increased orders though.
Voltaire
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby slparker » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 11:05 am

I'll stick to my overpriced socks - this look like your standard loose, thick socks that cause blisters.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I have never got on with socks made in Australia that seem to be made for wearing blunnies to the worksite than bushwalking in day after day.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 18 Dec, 2021 9:18 am

slparker wrote:I'll stick to my overpriced socks - this look like your standard loose, thick socks that cause blisters.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I have never got on with socks made in Australia that seem to be made for wearing blunnies to the worksite than bushwalking in day after day.

Judging from only the photographs, your assessment seems likely to be true. Sad, because I'd prefer to buy locally made. But can I ask what brand/s can you recommend?

I think a key word you chose to use is "loose". I'm sick of poorly constructed socks, where the heel section begins to stretch out of shape after being worn and washed a few times.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 18 Dec, 2021 10:36 am

Overpriced but worth every cent: Injinji toe socks.
Did the Larapinta with zero blisters.
Also no cuts on my toes where the toenail from the adjacent toe digs in (no matter how short I trim them).
ChrisJHC

Postby peregrinator » Sat 18 Dec, 2021 11:18 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Overpriced but worth every cent: Injinji toe socks.
Did the Larapinta with zero blisters.
Also no cuts on my toes where the toenail from the adjacent toe digs in (no matter how short I trim them).

Interesting you should say that. I've often worn these and liked them. But now want to go back to wearing Armaskins as a liner, so the Injinji's are not a viable combination.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 9:39 am

peregrinator wrote:
slparker wrote:I'll stick to my overpriced socks - this look like your standard loose, thick socks that cause blisters.

Judging from only the photographs, your assessment seems likely to be true. Sad, because I'd prefer to buy locally made. But can I ask what brand/s can you recommend?

I think a key word you chose to use is "loose". I'm sick of poorly constructed socks, where the heel section begins to stretch out of shape after being worn and washed a few times.

Darn Tough have been my faves for years now. They are a merino nylon blend and have a close weaved, almost felted, feel. They fit close and don't get loose when wet. They're expensive to buy but do last a long time and have a replacement guarantee that I have never actually bothered with - essentially you can send your worn out socks to the factory in vermont USA and they will replace them free.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:00 am

slparker wrote:
. . . Darn Tough have been my faves for years now. They are a merino nylon blend and have a close weaved, almost felted, feel. They fit close and don't get loose when wet. They're expensive to buy but do last a long time and have a replacement guarantee that I have never actually bothered with - essentially you can send your worn out socks to the factory in vermont USA and they will replace them free.

Thanks for the suggestion. They do seem to be well made judging by the website information, so probably worth spending a bit more than what I've wasted on some abysmally constructed socks.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Turfa » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:19 am

peregrinator wrote:
slparker wrote:
. . . Darn Tough have been my faves for years now. They are a merino nylon blend and have a close weaved, almost felted, feel. They fit close and don't get loose when wet. They're expensive to buy but do last a long time and have a replacement guarantee that I have never actually bothered with - essentially you can send your worn out socks to the factory in vermont USA and they will replace them free.

Thanks for the suggestion. They do seem to be well made judging by the website information, so probably worth spending a bit more than what I've wasted on some abysmally constructed socks.

Another vote for Darn Tough.... expensive but totally worth it. I have one pair that has over 3,000km on them now and they look no different to a brand new pair. Very comfortable in both wet and dry conditions. Pair them with some Injinji liners for really long days or ultra events.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Next

Return to Equipment