Interesting "frontpack"

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Interesting "frontpack"

Postby alliecat » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:59 am

Just came across this "frontpack" on the web: http://www.ribzwear.com/

I think it looks interesting. It's fairly light, looks like it could work with any backpack, could be useful for camera gear. What do people think? Has anybody seen or used anything similar to this?

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Interesting "frontpack"

Postby sthughes » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:24 pm

Looks interesting. Like a vest with really huge pockets and no back!

Would make you kinda hot in summer I suspect, but okay in winter.
Don't like the way the front zip/s close downwards, if it came open a bit then stuff could fall out.
None the less it could be very handy, especially if you are into carrying multiple lenses, filters and stuff or you have things you want to reach but can't without taking your pack off.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:46 pm

LOL. It's like a bum bag and man-boob holder in one. I so need that once I get my pensioner discount card! :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby sthughes » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 1:00 pm

I was thinking more of a strap on Beer Gut to see what it's like! Guess you could fill it with tinnies and it would literally be one I guess :D
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 1:40 pm

i quite like the look of it. thinking for mt biking/snowboarding it would come in handy for grabbing a drink/gps/whatever without having to stop and take off a backpack.
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby Ent » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 4:07 pm

Not as enthusiastic as others on this for heavy camera gear. I have OP Bass that's daypack can clip on the front. Brilliant for shuffling through passport control were you need endless number of forms but the weight borne on the shoulders quickly becomes painful with 5 kg being in my experience the limit. In fact for a long day walk even under five kilograms could become wearing. OP do make a "Limpet" that can attach to the front straps so might be an option but as said weight would need to be light and a SLR with quality glass lenses is not light.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 5:12 pm

That would be my feeling as well. Unless the extra weight can be routed to the hipbelt, I think it would be quite tiring to carry any distance.

Probably fine if you only use it for maps and snacks though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 8:24 pm

Would you really need the harness? The thing goes right around the body, doesn't it? With your main pack's waistbelt done up, that would take a lot of the load, anyway. Be worth looking at for the camera gear.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby alliecat » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 8:22 am

I think some of the weight would be distributed because of the straps around the back; so it's more like a vest with big pockets than just something hanging off the shoulders. I agree about the bottom-opening zips - that's just a bit weird, I don't know why they did that. Thinking about it more, it has real potential for winter because you could carry light bulky stuff like map, gloves and beanie in there for easy access, and you'd get added insulation as well.

I just thought it was an interesting bit of kit.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cmer » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 8:05 pm

Have you looked at the Aarn body packs. They sell what they call Balance Pockets which fit to the front of the back pack and chieve a similar function of providing ease of access and a balance of weight. However, I would think they would not be so hot as the front pack you were looking at. I haven't used them but have been assured by a fellow walker that they are very comfortable to use. http://www.aarnpacks.com
cmer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment