Comprimise between super light and comfort

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Comprimise between super light and comfort

Postby under10kg » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 7:22 am

I have returned from a 10 day walk on the south coast track and I started to think about my gear as I must admit I am a gear freak. :D I carried 13 kg with 10 days food at about 750 to 800 gms of food a day. I am totally happy with my gear now for a track walk with no bush bashing.
I do not go super lightweight as I value more comfort.
Here is my personal compromises about this light vs comfort divide and I would be interested in others views on this topic
Tarp vs moment tarp tent. 300gm to 800gm approx
I really enjoyed the bug free nights on this trip. I also really enjoyed how easy it is to put this tent up compared to a tarp. Insert one pole, 2 pegs and it is done. I also really enjoyed being able to sit up in the tent and the vents at the top of the tent for less condensation. At the end of a long day walking I do not want to be fussing about putting up a tarp.
Closed cell mat vs clearview blowup mummy pad 320 gms
For the first time walking I have been able to sleep right through the night with 2.5 inches of comfort. 200 extra gms gives so much more comfort for all those hours sleeping.
400 gm Frameless pack vs Aarn pack 1.9kg
This one was a difficult one. Aarns pack is so comfortable with the balance pockets on the front and the excellent harness. In the end, I went with my frame less pack. This pack is comfortable till 8 kgs and it is not so above this. Since I carried extra weight than planned due to helping out a woman on the walk carrying 29kgs, my pack was totally out of its design range. I regretted not taking an aarn pack.
750 gm sleeping bag vs 400gm bag
I know from past experience that I am only just warm with my 750 bag with extra layers on in those very cold nights. 350 extra gms to know I will not get cold at night. :D
Polyprop parker overpants vs event parka
I carry a very light weight parka combo that works for me. However, it is fragile for bush bashing and would be easily damaged. Good for track walks only. Nice and soft enough to sleep in as an extra layer.
I also carry a montane wind jacket that I love as an extra super light wind resistant layer.
Light weight poles vs pacer poles I have not tried the light weight poles now available as I am totally in love with the pacer pole grips. These are so much better in my opinion I would never go to standard grips. These poles enable me to cut chatmans guide times if I want to rush expecially decending with no strain on my wrists.
One day I wanted to go fast and I did a 5 to 7 hour walk in 3 hours 20 minutes and shocked everyone having breakfast at the next camp site.
What are other light weight walker’s opinions on these questions?
Last edited by under10kg on Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Comprimise between super light and comfort

Postby kanangra » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 7:58 am

I am a tarp user but have just bought a Moment to help with bug protection. ( I was bitten on the neck by something savage whilst camping by the Grose last year. ) You have allowed 300g for a tarp but by the time you include a ground sheet, pegs, guys and ropes the weight is more like 450g or even 650g if I use a 10ftx8ft.

I'm with you on the mat. I now have the Neo Air and at about 250g ( in the small ) it is really worth the weight. For the first time I can sleep on my side and not need to roll every 15 mins. As a result I have cut my closed cell foam mat up into squares and now use one of those as a cushion to sit on even during short breaks. Ah. I must be getting old. :shock:

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:27 am

Hi
My category is light and comfy, similar to yours.
So my priority is to enjoy the walk and that is a lot easier to do with lighter weights.
At the same I exchange a bit more weight if it gives me a lot more comfort.
Pack
I also like the Aarn (FF now with Exp pockets) for 12kg and up. Between 8kg and 12 or so I use the ULA Circuit, it has a minimalistic frame but it does work well. About 1kg.
I now plan to use the Aarn from around 10kg . I am prepared to trade the extra weight for the extra comfort. Beside those front pockets are addictive. Nice to be able to get food,water,hat,gloves,binos,camera out without stopping.
To me this is the best design innovation since the internal frame.(not just the pockets, frame and all)

My lighter pack is the ULA Amp, around 300g. That works up to around 6-8kg as do other non framed packs for me. I can have 12kg of food from the market in it, but it is only a 2km walk back home...#
Mat
I would suggest the Neo Air to replace the Clearview. Similar weight but better insulation . The R2.5 rating is accurate for me.
Poles
I love my BD poles because I adjust them up and down rather often. Easy to do with the flick lock (coming to Leki soon)
A pair of really nice light poles are the GG Lightreck. (Carbon Fiber,200g for the pair) . However the 2 section is not ideal for transport.
Shelter
I am a bit biased towards Tarptents..., so the Moment would also be my choice now. But I still enjoy the Rainbow and in particular the Contrail.
Having used those I really do not get the tarp/bug net/bivy set up.
When I arrive at camp the first thing I want to do is to set up the shelter and have a wash before I cool down. Fiddling for ten minutes in the rain is not my idea of having fun.

# I observed several frameless packs in use in the US. Theses are the packs that folk described as "a dream, comfortable, great up to 40lbs" and all of that. Funny that they looked like sacks of potatoes to me with virtually all of the weight on the shoulders.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby under10kg » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:33 am

Yep I would like the neo but I have found the clearview to have enough ground insulation for most of my walks in Tasi. I was not cold in 10 days on the south coast but the weather was very kind. If I had the cash I would upgrade to the neo. I think the neo probably could be more durable also.
Yep I do love aarns packs and he is my brother (moderators take note) :D so I am a bit biased. The front pockets are really great.

I observed several frameless packs in use in the US. Theses are the packs that folk described as "a dream, comfortable, great up to 40lbs" and all of that. Funny that they looked like sacks of potatoes to me with virtually all of the weight on the shoulders

Yes I have yet to see a super light pack with a harness system that actually works to take the weight off the sholders. I am sure it could be possible to design such a pack. Maybe they exist?
Last edited by under10kg on Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:38 am

Great thread, it is interesting reading about other LW walkers gear and views about comfort vs weight.

As the weight in my backpack is going down the more I am getting back to basics the more I am enjoying my walking.

Pack
I use a frameless Golite Jam2 (old model), I use this pack for three season and I normally carry around a max of 8kg but have carried up to 13kg (5kg water) in it, at 8kg or less it is the most comfortable pack I have ever used, even my daughter who used my jam2 in Nepal for 6 weeks commented on how comfortable it was, at 13 kg it was still OK for comfort but was glad to get it off, I still spent a lot of time waiting for the two walkers carrying traditional packs and loads to catchup. For winter snow trips I use the jam2 bigger cousin the Golite Pinnacle with around 11-12kg, I need the bigger volume to fit the bulkier warm clothing in, while not as comfortable as the Jam2 it is still feels good compared to the same load in my old internal frame Berhaus Pack.

Matt
For three season I am using a thermarest prolite XS 230g, I have just started to use this matt over my old Prolite small at 370g (more like 390g). The comfort level of the Prolite XS is not as good as my Prolte S but it is something that I am getting used too. In winter I use a Prolite 4 plus a closed cell foam matt total weight of around 890g. I am considering a Neo air but that will have to wait until I get my new tent. I could use my closed cell foam matt at 68g but as I am getting older I find my shoulders ache a bit when sleeping on a hard surface.

Shelter
I currently use a Tarptent contrail which I am happy with but have a much lighter Zpacks Hexamid shelter on order (should be here in about three weeks I hope) I have found the Contrail more than adequate for what I used it for over the last two years. Might look at getting the Moment one day. I use a modified MD Nutrino 1 for winter trips.

Poles
I prefer to walk trails without using poles but I sometimes take one and use it in thick scrub, I usually take a pole when fishing as it is very useful when wading in rivers and streams, it has saved me from falling many times, the pole that I use is a old heavy but very strong pole, I feel that the Ul poles would not survive for long with the way I treat my current pole.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby luke_vic » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Tony, which closed cell foam mat do you use? 68g is light!
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tony » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Luke,

luke_vic wrote:Hi Tony, which closed cell foam mat do you use? 68g is light!

It is a Kmart special which I have shortened and trimmed to the smallest size that I can comfortably fit on.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment