Packing a silnylon tent in a compression sack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Packing a silnylon tent in a compression sack

Postby Drifting » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:37 am

Is there any reason why I couldn't put a Nallo 4GT into a compression sack when I carry it? Obviously I'd store the stakes and poles elsewhere....
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Packing a silnylon tent in a compression sack

Postby casey79 » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 6:06 pm

There is no reason I can think of. Would not be the best to store it compressed though.
casey79
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drifting » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 6:55 pm

No- I wouldn't think so. Ta!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby songairen » Fri 22 Jan, 2010 1:17 pm

I wouldn't store my Nallo in a compression sack- too many metal parts that could rub up the thin silnylon fly- maybe you could fold it in such a manner that these parts are nestled in the floor fabric or groundsheet?
songairen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby samh » Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:28 pm

I've heard all sorts of ideas of how you should or shouldn't store your tent, eg. roll, fold, stuff. I heard once that HIlleberg say on their webpage that compressing a tent in a compression bag could damage the zip, but I couldn't find the information on their webpage. If you have trouble finding space in your pack, consider seperating inner and outer tent. sometimes its easier to find space for two smaller things rather than one large thing. This said I never do either. I actually try to minimise compression bags and compress my whole backpack in the end. Often if you have to many compression bags with an odd shape it leaves little gaps and spaces everywhere
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 22 Jan, 2010 3:03 pm

I meant to comment on this a few days ago and was reminded today when folding my Montane Featherlite pants inside the tennis ball sized stuff sack...
This is just my view...
Compression sacks are not as effective as some think in saving space. You are "provably" better off putting the gear in your pack loose and let the weight compress it to the optimum amount of space. To exaggerate the effect of compression sacks, imagine putting several bowling bowls in your pack and visualise the "in between ball" unused space.
(that is way they are training chooks to lay square eggs now)
Specifically with tents, yes it is possible to damage a tent by compressing some of the hard bits (zips,grommets) against the fabric.
Another point is that stuffing creates more creases than necessary and takes longer. In my view any crease will weaken the fly material.
Also try this as an experiment. If you have a silk (or cotton..) sheet, stuff it in the stuff sack first, then fold and roll. Which one is easier/quicker to store ?
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Fri 22 Jan, 2010 3:26 pm

but I assume Franco that you stuff your sleeping bag instead of folding and rolling it up?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 22 Jan, 2010 5:32 pm

Yep, that I do...
Same for the puffy jacket . But I know people that also roll the sleeping bag.
Not sure why I differentiate between non insulated and insulated (puffy) stuff, but I do.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Humpo » Wed 27 Jan, 2010 9:11 pm

I stuff my nallo 3gt and never have had a problem.
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby geoffmallo » Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:18 pm

Compression sacks also add a fair bit of weight. I bought some last year for the Western Arthur traverse then went about weighing everything and ended up using the simple sacks because of weight alone. I think I saved over 200g over few items.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment