Tarp Tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarp Tent

Postby corvus » Sun 17 Jan, 2010 6:06 pm

G'day all,
I am considering the Tarptent Scarp 1(4 season option for Tassie) as it looks to have the condensation problem in control unlike my other tents any users out there with feedback please :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tarp Tent

Postby Drifting » Sun 17 Jan, 2010 6:54 pm

I spoke to the owner of the company a while back, and he told me that the Scarp 4 season version would be ideal for Tassie. I described hurricane-force winds, driving rain and horizontal rain to him, which is what he based his recommendation on.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ent » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Gerry

After a long and hard search I settled on the Akto over the Scarp though that was before the lower fly version came along. Big trouble with Scarp is there are none that I have spotted in Tassie to look at while a few Aktos are kicking around. On the weekend had a good chance to compare the Macpac Microlight of Sthughes and the Akto in the real word. The Microlight went up quicker but was greatly assisted by the operator being considerably more skilled than me in pitching their respective tent. As for room in the Microlight, well, if you are over 6' sleeping on one side facing the door with you legs tucked up is the only option and vestibule space is not good either. Basically it is aimed at the Hobbit size person rather than tall timber. The tarp extension rigged by Sthughes for his Microlight was a great idea but without it the Microlight is just too small and no much chop to cook in. The Akto is a better design and providing you do not mind the low ends is just roomy enough to act as a home base for storing the pack and changing in adverse weather. Though two Aktos verses 1 Katium is a non contest as of the same weight per person the Katium is just so much more friendly for adverse weather with space to store stuff and turn around in so I would only use the Akto if forced to go solo, especially if the weather forecast was not good. On condensation, I had none, but Sthughes did not mention that problem either so hard to figure out what is the real story as weather conditions could be the decider. Never had noticeable condensation in the Akto, even in the snow walk and a lot of the early reports of condensation relate to the first model that did not have a top vent.

If someone in Tassie has a Scarp I would like to pitch the Akto next to it to contrast and compare. The Scarp is cheaper, bit higher, but slightly shorter and has the same width inside while the Akto widens in the middle that actually works very well, though narrower in the ends. The Akto has only one entrance while the Scarp I think has two, which can be a great thing or total waste of time depending on the tent pitching site.

For minimalist solo walking the Akto is about as small as I would want to go but it is tempting to carry say 2.1 kilograms for the two man Nallo or some other two man tent if weather was likely to be bad for many days. Actually bit tempted by the Scarp 2 for that role though I have the MD Kaon, at 2.5 kilograms for a 3 man rated tent (again we are in Hobbit sizing territory) so have already have an alternative of sorts especially if camp site is better suited to a largely free standing tent.

Cheers Brett

PS The owner of Tarptent before the low fly version of the Scarp came out was somewhat more cautious in recommending his tent for Tassie and also be aware the inner can not be closed off unlike in the Akto, something that makes for a so much more snug tent in snow or lazy cold wind :D
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dancier » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:56 am

Here is some info on the Akto, follow link and go to reply 6 by shane keating. If they have updated the Akto since 2006 then this may not apply.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... 1&nested=0
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ent » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 2:11 pm

dancier wrote:Here is some info on the Akto, follow link and go to reply 6 by shane keating. If they have updated the Akto since 2006 then this may not apply.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... 1&nested=0

The vent was added over the door late 2006 and the ends made with breathable fabric about the same time along with ability to zip them open if that is not enough ventilation. The original design was sadly the typical with no vented fly so beloved by a few manufacturers and Hilleberg copped very justifiable criticism and then changed in record time to the current venting design. Not sure what was the fate of the original owners but I hope Hilleberg considered their plight. To the best of my knowledge neither the length nor end height was changed so as expected some will find it, and most single person tents, rather too much of a compromise if you like your space. At 6'3.5" I fond the Akto nice in heavy snow for the night but the more catastrophic might find it more a coffin especially with the low ends. The Scarp is a little taller on the ends but not by much as this is the design weakness of a single hop over middle design. One one USA site there is a good debate on Akto versus Scarp but as yet not Akto owner has converted nor has Scarp owner back the other way. In fact Akto owners on that site were consider to be some of the most loyal customers you can have. Generally Akto owners chasing a few grams lighter tents have reverted back.

In fact for solo tents there is not much information full stop, especially on comparisons by "real" people rather than reviewers that come and go, nothing like two walkers that have pitched tents side by side a few times in various conditions to get a better idea. I would love to see a Tassie specified Scarp in the flesh but unless someone is playing secret squirrel I am not aware of any.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby alliecat » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 2:37 pm

Chris Townsend (a well known UK writer/walker/photographer) has been a long time Akto user and has used and reviewed the Scarp. His review was published in TGO so I don't think it's available on line. But googling his name and "scarp" should turn up some comments and discussion on the review. From memory, he was pretty impressed with the Scarp and his only real criticism was the short fly - this and similar comments were what led to Henry's redesign of the fly for "UK" conditions.

I know it's hard to judge a tent that you've never seen in the flesh, but sometimes you just have to give it a try. If you buy one and don't like it, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on pretty easily.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 3:39 pm

Re the Scarp, if you are prepared to hang in there, mine should be getting a good workout in April and May - April being my TGO training final month where I will be planning and executing several 3 day excursions around the Adelaide hills in full TGO weights and distances (but probably with less clothing actually worn), and in May it will get the full treatment in whatever weather the Scots can throw at it - probably 11 nights camping (as much of that wild camping as I can manage) over 14 days.

The low ends is one of the differences between the two tents - with the crossing poles, those low ends are substantially better and more secure from drooping upon the hapless camper in snowy conditions. It is also a lot easier to get a nice tight pitch with the Scarp, which helps in windy conditions, with or without the crossing poles.

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby deratu » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 3:47 pm

See http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/blogs/backpacking-with-chris-townsend/a-decade-of-backpacking-gear-1.996606

"It’s difficult to say which items from last year I’ll still be using in a few years time."
"And one I definitely will be is the TarpTent Scarp 1, the first tent that has challenged the Akto in my affections, especially for winter and snow due to the optional crossover poles and extra room."
deratu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ent » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 4:03 pm

deratu wrote:See http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/blogs/backpacking-with-chris-townsend/a-decade-of-backpacking-gear-1.996606

"It’s difficult to say which items from last year I’ll still be using in a few years time."
"And one I definitely will be is the TarpTent Scarp 1, the first tent that has challenged the Akto in my affections, especially for winter and snow due to the optional crossover poles and extra room."

Interesting find as Chris has firmed up his opinion from promising to preferring.

Cheers Brett
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoffmallo » Fri 29 Jan, 2010 8:13 pm

I have the scarp 1 and have found it to be a great size. I'm 6'1" and have no problems with it. Recently I even took my 6yo on an overnight camp to Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains and we both slept in there. It was cozy but that's proof of it's 1+ size!

Two entrances are appreciated with one for gear/wet weather stuff and the other for cooking. Enter and leave the the lee.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 29 Jan, 2010 9:13 pm

Brett wrote:
deratu wrote:See http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/blogs/backpacking-with-chris-townsend/a-decade-of-backpacking-gear-1.996606

Cheers Brett

It's interesting the kit preferences Chris has. The focus is obviously to the ultralight end... which is i guess why he only needs the golite pack (these are ridiculously cheap at sierratadingpost) i guess the scarp 'fits' with a kit such as this. These comparisons with the Akto's dont seem quite right though! The akto's floor is overengineered(?) as with the tent in general. Although a 'lightweight' contender it doesnt really seem to be aiming for the same outcome (as scarp) (otherwise the Hillebergs would just use fly fabric for the floor?) They do look similar... I'd like to try one (but don't expect it to stand the use the akto currently gets?). Perhaps a velcro/snaplock replaceable floor will be next?

I have one of the golite hex3 tents he mentions, too heavy (if using the inner 'bug nest' (heavy floor)) to be considered in the same league though immense area in bad weather (you could get 4/5 inside for a card game :wink: ) Anywhere 'expecting' heavy weather (especially if not solo) this would, however, be a better choice/experience than a conventional tent of the same weight.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 7:13 am

What I've read of Chris is that he is a keen walker/photographer/writer. He's not a mad ultralight hiker, and in one story of his I read where he spent some time with Colin Ibbotson (who is a mad ultralighter) he realised that while he has gear he likes, it's not the lightest. Whether this will cause him to focus on more ultralight gear remains to be seen.

You can't really characterise the Scarp1 as an extreme ultralight bit of gear. While it's competitive with Atko and other popular one man tent options for weight, it's heavy by UL standards.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:15 am

geoffmallo wrote:I have the scarp 1 and have found it to be a great size. I'm 6'1" and have no problems with it. Recently I even took my 6yo on an overnight camp to Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains and we both slept in there. It was cozy but that's proof of it's 1+ size!

Two entrances are appreciated with one for gear/wet weather stuff and the other for cooking. Enter and leave the the lee.

G'day geoffmallo,
Do you use a footprint and do you have the crossover poles?
covus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby geoffmallo » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Corvus,

I use tyvek for a footprint and I do have the crossover poles. Though I haven't used the crossover poles on a trip yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out on a trip this winter.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 5:12 pm

geoffmallo wrote:Hi Corvus,

I use tyvek for a footprint and I do have the crossover poles. Though I haven't used the crossover poles on a trip yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out on a trip this winter.

G'day geoffmallo,
I thought that would be the case ,looks like you have dotted the I's and crossed the T's for me :D, I will be watching our dollar now to try and get the best price.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:43 am

Is the fly made of tyvek?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maelgwn » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:19 am

Nuts wrote:Is the fly made of tyvek?

Nope, silnylon.

There is an optional extra ground sheet that is tyvek.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Franco » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 8:08 pm

Only the Sublite is made out of Tyvek.
as far as I know all Tyvek types are white.
BTW, Tyvek is a Dupont brand not an individual product. From memory there are 14 different types. The one used as groundcloth is from the Construction family (Home Wrap) . The Sublite is made from 1443R, a cloth type Tyvek. Most likely the label on your home pillow is made from it.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 8:18 pm

'Soft Structure' tyvek... tried to buy a roll, they wouldnt even answer emails... might keep looking some day. I saw a tepee made from it and was thinking it would be interesting to try making a few things. It did sound like youd have to expect a shorter lifespan (but light enough!, if that was the sole aim......)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 7:36 am

There are other types of Tyvek as light as 1443R but this is the most "breathable", however less waterproof than most. Not for Tasmania...
Dupont had a chart of the various Tyvek types with all the specs but it seems to have disappeared from their site.
A couple of good articles on Tyvek

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=525
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=524

Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoffmallo » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 9:18 am

The tyvek I have is the home wrap (not sure of the number). It's excessively loud when flapping in the wind. It's also loud under foot on soft grass. But once it's been folder and crinkled a bit it seems to be quieter.

It's not really a problem as a ground sheet but I couldn't imagine using it for a fly, it obviously the wrong type of Tyvek for that. I'll find the number next time I can get it out.

Geoff
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 1:19 pm

My upgraded fly has shipped. Can't wait to get it out and use it. Do others in Australia have theirs yet?
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 2:06 pm

Mine is on the way too...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:30 pm

It's arrived!

Nice job too. It doesn't ship with the corner struts or guys, you have to transfer them from the original fly.

Next job is to seam seal it and do some stripes across the floor to reduce the pad slip. After that, I'll add the extra guys to the centre hoop.

Anything else I should look at Franco?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry, I had missed this one..
As per PM I suggest you dot the floor (easier to clean ) and add pull cords to the zips.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment