Experiences with either Mont Moondance 2 or WE Space 2?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Experiences with either Mont Moondance 2 or WE Space 2?

Postby tonks » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi all, I’ve been agonising over my next tent purchase for some time, am hoping to get some info from the brains trust.

I’m looking at these two tents in particular as I have a voucher at a bricks-and-mortar store that normally stocks them, although they are out of stock at the moment, the same as everywhere else.

I’ve narrowed it to these two as they seem to meet most of my criteria, which are:

- approx 2kg
- freestanding (mostly for platform-friendliness, useful in Tas)
- comfortable for two adults
- two doors
- ok/good for managing condensation
- able to handle some wind and rain without drama

I have a Macpac Olympus, which I’m still very happy with, for occasions when I know the weather is going to be quite dodgy, longer trips when I’m not confident of the forecast, or areas that I know are exposed. (I once spent a night on High Moor in an Olympus in pretty serious wind, and that tent earned my trust for life). And I also have some much lighter tents for solo trips, including a Lanshan 1 which is great.
But a common type of trip for me in Tas (where I live) is 1-3 nights, alpine areas, with one of my kids, in conditions and areas where I don’t need a heavy four season tent. I normally abort plans for such trips if the weather forecast does not look favourable.
This would become my main tent for most of my trips with one of my kids.

I’ve seen both the Moondance 2 and Space 2 in person while they were still in stock, and both strike me as very well made tents.

My only hesitation with them is that they feel slightly on the small side. That only concerns me with regard to condensation. I have a very lightweight quilt (Hammock Gear), which I love, but it’s fabric is super thin, and I’m sure if my footbox rests against the end of the tent, it will get damp overnight.

I really like the features in the Space 2 for handling wind (internal cord for support, plus ability to support the crossing pole with trekking poles). And I like that the fly is sil/sil nylon without a PU coating, from what I understand that’s likely to bode better for longevity? (My Olympus is also sil/sil, is prob around 12 years old, and is showing no signs of wear at all). But evidently the Space won’t be back in stock for some time.

The Moondance also seems very good. Benefits over the Space seem to include that the floor is not tapered, and ventilation is probably better owing to the roof vent.
If I went with a Moondance I’ve not decided whether I’d go the full nylon or the mesh version... I want both!

Apologies for the rambling post, just interested in peoples experiences with either of these tents!

Ps. Have also checked out the Mont Dragonfly, which looks fantastic for size and comfort, but at 2.5kg is hard to justify as it doesn’t save enough weight compared to my Olympus.
tonks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: -
Region: Tasmania

Re: Experiences with either Mont Moondance 2 or WE Space 2?

Postby Casparvitch » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 9:45 pm

From what I've seen of both they're solid tents, though I've never really considered them for myself over a tunnel. Personally would lean toward the WE, though not much in them and I'm sure you'd be happy with both.

On another note and I apologise as this is not what you asked, but I think the standard recommendation in this situation would be the tarptent double rainbow with (long) poles making it freestanding.
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby tonks » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 7:48 am

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes the double rainbow looks great, but unfortunately I’m limited by having a voucher at at a shop.
On the tunnel tents, I’ve also checked out the First Arrow by WE, 2.3kg (available at this shop too normally, but out of stock), and that looks fantastic. But it feels like too much tent for shorter fair weather trips. And the Second Arrow looks too small... our sleep mats are rectangular. Keen on freestanding both for the platforms when necessary, and the convenience/liveability of two doors
tonks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Casparvitch » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 7:58 am

Yeah that all sounds pretty logical to me. If no one else has any relevant input I reckon go with your gut :)
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby axcarmil » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:05 am

We have a Mount Moondance Ex. We’ve been using it for about 8 years mostly in Tasmania. Like you intend, we mostly use it when the weather forecast is reasonable. But we have been caught out in foul weather. The tent has handled very strong winds in exposed locations, very heavy rain, and light snow extremely well. Over the 8 years the only damage we’ve had is a slightly bent pole from gale force winds (this could have been avoided if we hadn’t left the tent for a day in an exposed location when the wind picked up - the wind was so strong we were being blown over on our way back to the tent and we expected it not to be standing, so we’re surprise at how little damage there was).
We have the mesh inner as we have another tent for winter/bad weather camping. As it is only mesh from half way up it’s not too breezy when sleeping and we’ve never had an issue with rain or snow blowing into the tent through the mesh. Generally, condensation is not an issue unless it is still and near water (but it would be worse in a solid inner). Compared with our tunnel tent, the two doors are good.
While the inner is spacious, the vestibules are a little small and are not good for cooking in.
We have the ground sheet as this enables you to set up the outer only for shelter. The tent is quick and easy to set up, but doesn’t have the option of integral pitch.
The tent is well made with strong materials and we’ve always felt secure in it. Of our four tents, this is the one we use the most because of it’s spaciousness.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby camm » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 9:55 am

I have the Dragonfly as a winter tent. FWIW condensation can be managed quite well with the vent and doors, which are both mesh and solid so can be tuned for ventilation, and site selection. The Moondance 2FN doors have a mesh window towards the top which would probably do the trick. Doesn't scream "take me" in summer though.
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tonks » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 10:46 am

Okay thanks axcarmil... that's really interesting re the Moondance Ex. I believe the shop still has those in stock. I wasn't really looking at it because it's 170cm wide, which seems very wide... I thought it might have been a bit too limiting with campsite opportunities. 2.3kg is definitely at the upper end of what I'd look at, but it's quite the palace, eh? It sounds like it's served you extremely well, am inclined to have another look at it. Your comments on the mesh are very helpful too, it sounds like the mesh (whether in the Ex or the 2) is more than adequate for a lot of conditions in Tas. And sounds like very impressive performance in the wind!

Thanks camm, yeah the Dragonfly does look awesome, but it feels like more of a do-anything tent... I'd definitely be looking at that if I want to replace my Olympus, as the space in that is perfect.
The mesh in the doors in the Moondance 2FN seem a bit small for a good-weather-dedicated tent, am thinking the non-FN might make more sense, given it's lighter and probably better with condensation.
tonks
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby axcarmil » Mon 12 Apr, 2021 1:38 pm

You are correct to be concerned about the size of the ex for some situations. We have always found somewhere, but if we are going where we expect very restricted campsite options (e.g., dense forest) we take our narrower tunnel tent.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 12:50 pm

We recently bought the new Mont Moondance 2. We still own an old Moondance 2. It's been a good tent (bought circa 2009), it's just starting to leak at the seams.

The new one is definitely larger - floor is not tapered, and sides are straighter, so sitting up feels much more roomy. I imagine it will a perform a little less well in the wind. Only got it on Monday, so it hasn't been used beyond the living room yet!

We also have the WE First Arrow, which we took on the Western Arthurs last November. It is a big tent, though not that heavy for the size (2.28kg). We struggled to fit it on some of the tent platforms. Luckily there was only one place we had any company! But it's probably too much like the Olympus - better to have a different style of tent to choose from.

FWIW we do most of our walking in NSW where weather is less of an issue.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 6:42 pm

I just got one of these:
MONT MOONDANCE 2 TENT W FULL NYLON INNER
I shall report back once I have tested it out on the Bogong High Plains next week (and other Vic. Alps hikes ). I plan to also use it with snow pegs for snow camping and ski touring in 2022.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby markg » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 5:54 am

The WE space 2 is really popular with the hunters. Plenty of them in the high country in winter when most Deer hunters are active. Lots.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 7:45 am

tom_brennan wrote:We recently bought the new Mont Moondance 2. We still own an old Moondance 2. It's been a good tent (bought circa 2009), it's just starting to leak at the seams.

The new one is definitely larger - floor is not tapered, and sides are straighter, so sitting up feels much more roomy. I imagine it will a perform a little less well in the wind. Only got it on Monday, so it hasn't been used beyond the living room yet!

Having now used the Mont Moondance 2 a bit, I thought I'd report back.

Overall, it's pretty similar to the old one, but with more room. Some improvements have been made which make it a bit easier to set up in general. The vestibule zips are now full length, which makes it easier to open up the tent if you want airflow, or just for ease of getting things in and out.

There are some backward steps though:
  • One change for me is a major regression. The inner opens (as in the old version) via a curved door. The zips on this door used open towards the ends and meet in the middle to close. Now they open away from the ends, and are closed when the zips . This makes it much more difficult to only open the section of the door that you need. For example, if you're just stowing gear in the tent. Makes it much harder to get in and out, and more likely to let bugs in. If I'd known this one before I bought, I probably would have bought a different tent.
  • Pegs - the new pegs are a dud. They are the Mont Tri-Prism peg (https://www.mont.com.au/products/tri-prism-tent-peg) and if you bash them, they break. Yes, break! I will replace them with the pegs from the old Mont.
  • There are a few places where metal fittings have been replaced with plastic eg the hooks connecting the inner to the poles, and the connectors that hold the cross pole in place. Not sure how durable these will be. I'll reserve judgement.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 8:37 am

tom_brennan wrote:There are some backward steps though:
  • One change for me is a major regression. The inner opens (as in the old version) via a curved door. The zips on this door used open towards the ends and meet in the middle to close. Now they open away from the ends, and are closed when the zips .

Would be reasonable easy to change that.
Put zips in the middle.
Free both ends of the zip run.
Take one zipper off the zip run and put it onto the other end of the zip run so it now does the zipper up as it goes to the middle.
Close both ends of the zipper run so the zippers cannot come off and the job is done.

You may find it easier to put the zipper back on if you run the second zipper up towards the first zipper.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 12:00 pm

@tom_brennan

I noticed your review on a cursory pass-through.
The subject of pegs is something MONT needs to pay more attention to. In my earlier post I suggested users discard the flimsy MONT pegs and substitute with e.g. WE star pegs or those by Sea to Summit (I use the StoS pegs, with pull-up loops).

There are a few places where metal fittings have been replaced with plastic eg the hooks connecting the inner to the poles, and the connectors that hold the cross pole in place. Not sure how durable these will be. I'll reserve judgement.

When I traded off my Moondance 1 (2009 model), the metal eyelets had rusted, and on one loop used to secure the fly to the cross-over pole, an eyelet had started to come away from the fabric. Plastic fittings are also used in MacPac tents, of which I have a very long experience of ownership with, and no problems. Just don't bash them with rocks! :lol:

Not troubled really by the different design of the door opening, though I agree it may irk some people. In hindsight, I think the earlier design where zips meet in the middle is a better design, but in the bigger scheme of things, it is not a deal breaker.

I took my Moondance 2 and MacPac Minaret with me last (long) weekend to Little Desert NP. What transpired was the worst ever weather I have experienced at a camp, and instead of spending a wild time in the confines of the Moondance, dismantled it (in torrential rain) and put up the MacPac Minaret. The rain stopped (for 5 minutes!), and then came the tornadoes, flying trees (not branches, but trees), hail then more and more rain. Had enough by Sunday lunch, even though the weather certainly had cleared by then, but too late to provide comfort to me. End of trip debrief meant lots of mud and dirt and debris to clean out and off (both tents are clean, dry and packed away now). I certainly would not have felt comfortable in the Moondance in what a fellow camper stated were 130km/h winds — and the howling wind was intense, never mindn about the lightning! The poor guy nearby me lost his caravan awning!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 7:17 pm

Warin wrote:Would be reasonable easy to change that.
Put zips in the middle.
Free both ends of the zip run.
Take one zipper off the zip run and put it onto the other end of the zip run so it now does the zipper up as it goes to the middle.
Close both ends of the zipper run so the zippers cannot come off and the job is done.

You may find it easier to put the zipper back on if you run the second zipper up towards the first zipper.

Thanks Warin, I did wonder about that as a possibility.

I fear I might end up with a permanently wide open tent(!), but I'll have a look into it.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 8:20 pm

tom_brennan wrote:Thanks Warin, I did wonder about that as a possibility.

I fear I might end up with a permanently wide open tent(!), but I'll have a look into it.

Buy 2 cheap small zippers and experiment. You'll get the hang of it.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 07 Nov, 2021 7:30 am

The WE space 2 has a 5000 hydrostatic head rating on the floor. The Moondance has a 25000 HH rating.

Do does anyone think that would make a real world difference even in torrential conditions?

In both the thickness of the floor is largely the same and is 40 denier.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 12 Nov, 2021 3:45 pm

My new Mont Moondance tent is excellent. I am yet to try it out in the snow for XC ski touring but I am keen to try that next year.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Equipment