Macpac stellar - any good or a lemon?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac stellar - any good or a lemon?

Postby vichar » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm after a tough 2 person 3 season tent and I noticed that Macpac Stellars (and microlights for that matter) are going dirt cheap on the Moontrail web site.

Does anyone have experience with stellars? There's very little written about them on the internet.

Are they OK for 2 people (ie. me and my girlfriend? ) Do you have to sleep head to toe with your partner to fit into these? I wonder why they where discontinued, and replaced with the as yet untested macrolight.
vichar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Macpac stellar - any good or a lemon?

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 7:43 am

A few years back I did an 7 day extended walk in Tassie and shared a friend's Stellar. It performed well in the rain and seemed to have heaps of extra guy points if you wanted to peg it down securely (although we had no strong winds on the trip). My only gripe was that the inner seemed very close to your face when you slept at night. This resulted in having a bit of condensation every morning around my hood area. The pitching of the tent was pretty quick - but it helped to have both of us doing it as the tent didn't stand freely.

I've just bought one of the new Macpac Macrolights and only used it last weekend for the first time. So far impressed with the tent - although it was in mild conditions (no rain or wind). Taking out some of the unnecessary pegs and changing the stuff bag (which is too big and has two heavy compression straps) I got the in-use weight down to 2kg. The inside floor space is great - the circular doors are a little unusual and took some getting used to but so far so good!
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby vichar » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks. I'd be keen to hear how the macrolight goes in bad weather. A lot of people eslewhere in this forum seem to be sceptical about the design.
vichar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Michael_Kingston » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Vichar

No experience with the Stellar but my brother in NSW has bought from Moontrail recently with no problems. I also notice they have Macpac Olympus tents for $369 USD (around $400 AUD). Very good buying IMO.

You really have to wonder why bushwalking products made in places like Fiji and Vietnam are so much cheaper in the US and Canada than back here. This doesn't just apply for Macpac either. I guess our dollar has significantly appreciated recently and theirs has depreciated, but even before that there has always been a marked difference. Anyway, I guess that isn't really what you were asking. :D
Michael_Kingston
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby DonQx » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm

Hello All,

Have had a Stellar ... very good tent methinks. Particularly liked the integral pitch feature (pitch inner & outer together ... not sure that the Macrolight can do that?) and the fact that the inner tent is a little set back so that you can leave the vestibule open when it rains without the inner getting wet unless of course it blows in that direction. Well made tent.

Haven't seen a Macrolight 'in the flesh' yet, but would think that the ML is a bit more wind resistant & snow capable then the S.

For your intended purpose '3 seasons' the S should be a good option.

Have also dealt with moontrail ... all good.

:-) a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 2:08 pm

The Macpac tents from Moontrail are a clearance of the 09 stock. The 2010 range is lighter...
Franco
Last edited by Franco on Thu 28 Jan, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby vichar » Thu 28 Jan, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I know its outdated, a little squeezy and heavier than some, but its pretty cheap for macpac quality. With the macrolight at $650, it's a good deal.
vichar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Thu 28 Jan, 2010 6:16 pm

The only problem that I can see with the Stellar is the somewhat limited usable length. I used to play in it at PP where I spent my Friday nights and my sanity breaks (from work across the road...) . I am only 171 cm if I stand straight but cannot remember what spare room I had.
Apart from that I prefer its bigger single vestibule than two smaller ones, both for storage and for cooking under it, but that is personal.
It isn't that practical to increase the usable length on that design , hence the change to the more conventional cross pole design (I think...).
I imagine it to be a very good shelter for both wind and rain. (by design and material used)
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Justin1970 » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:47 am

I have had a stellar for 6 years now and find it excellent and very robust. It has withstood heavy-duty weather conditions (but no snow as yet) and remained bullet-proof. the extra guys are great in windy conditions.
In regards to size, i am 180cm tall and find i just brush the inner with my hair or toes if i lay dead straight. However, i do have an Exped Downmat 7DLX that is 196cm and that fits in there fine.
Good all-rounder. Another option from the same era is the Macpac Celeste which has two vestibules for extra ventilation.
Condensation has not been much of an issue, however.
Cheers,
Juz
Justin1970
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Maelgwn » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:16 am

Have used it for a couple of trips, a friend has one. It is a good tent, reasonably solid design and pretty straightforward to pitch. Capable of withstanding just about any conditions you can find in Australia.

My gripes are only one vestibule, sure its big but only one person can use it at a time and if you have two packs in there its pretty squeezy. We are both over 180cm, and find the tent a little short when its raining. Its not really major but light condensation on the toe of the bag is not really uncommon. Also if its a still night, you really need to open up the door to get enough ventilation to stop too much condensation.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby abowen » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 1:16 pm

They are excellent in snow. The attached photo is my tent at Olive Lagoon, late September last year. I use it as a four season tent for myself- plenty of room. Although a bit heavy, I'm glad that I carried it on this occasion. The twin poles stood up to a fair dumping of snow. I didn't get any moisture inside, despite the snow piling up around the ground on the outer fly. I was even quite warm as the snow formed a small depression around the tent.
Cheers
Andrew
Attachments
olive lagoon 002.jpg
Unexpected snow at Olive Lagoon
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby isoma » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 9:35 pm

The Stella isnt a lemon. I would recommend it as a reasonably tough 2 person 3 season + tent. It has been my only tent now for about the last 5 years. While it isnt particularly light it is easy to put up in almost any conditions.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby etrangere » Sat 06 Feb, 2010 12:10 pm

I own the Macpac Apollo, Eclipse and Microlight, i used to have the Stellar also but ended up giving it to a friend.....the Stellar is slightly fiddlier to put up I found, but one large vestibule was much handier esp to cook under that 2 smaller ones ie as in the Apollo.
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby vichar » Sun 14 Feb, 2010 3:16 pm

Sounds pretty tough. I'm about 6' and girlfriend is 5'4" so length should be OK. Though the innerfloor looks a little narrow at the ends. Can two people sleep head to head in the stellar or is head to toe the only way to fit?
vichar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby abowen » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm a shade under 6' by the old measure and there is plenty of room for me. You should be able to sleep with heads side by side. The single vestibule might be a bit annoying for the person nearest the opening if the other half wants to take a .... break during the night.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 7:02 pm

Have a Stellar good tent which does not get enough use since my number one walking partner SON now works away from home :(
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Equipment