Sleeping bag suggestions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping bag suggestions

Postby FionaShedden » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 12:49 pm

Thinking about updating my sleeping bag and interested to get recommendations. My current bag is a -10 comfort bag and mostly too warm for the hiking I am doing here in NSW. I usually use it like a quilt so I can just regulate my temp better - stick out a foot/leg etc. Current weight is 1.6kg and packed dimensions are about 30cm x 20cm at full compression.

I am hoping to go for something with significant weight and space in the pack savings. This is my last big purchase as I've already upgraded my pack (an exped lightning 60L), tent ( dan durston x-mid 2P), mat (Thermarest
Women's NeoAir XLite) and cooking system. Not ultralighting but trying to significantly reduce my pack weight/size as I get on a bit in years.

(BTW went with the 60L vs 40L pack as I am a scout leader so sometimes taking 8-10 kids out and carry extra gear just in case, also thought it gave me more space for when I can get out for longer than a weekend)

I don't ever expect to have to camp in/on snow or alpine (and if I do I will still have the heavy bag). I use a thermal liner (s2S themolite liner) so thinking a 0 comfort rated bag might be enough to get me through all but the coldest conditions. I do like to be warm when I sleep but not HOT!

Was looking at the S2S Flame 2 or 3 - currently leaning to the 3 as it has a full zip whereas the 2 only has a half zip! Any other bags I should consider? I have looked the Marmot Helium too but they seem heavier.
Can't see any other recommendations on forum.

What are peoples experiences, any other brands I should look at? Thanks for the advice :-)
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sleeping bag suggestions

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 12:59 pm

If the bag is too warm,consider a quilt. Mike has a link to his in the Specials etc section. They're light, high quality and very versatile. Enough options to get something that would really suit you.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 1:24 pm

Does it have to be a bag? If not go a quilting as suggested. Undercling mike closed footbox 400-450 grams of down. If it has to be a bag do you have to buy it locally and try it first?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Tortoise » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 1:27 pm

north-north-west wrote:If the bag is too warm,consider a quilt. Mike has a link to his in the Specials etc section. They're light, high quality and very versatile. Enough options to get something that would really suit you.

+1! Only trouble is that he got so many orders that he had to put a hold on them for a few months to catch up. But so many people have said they want to order when he starts taking orders again, there might be a big backlog... Or maybe he'll start with a clean slate. There are a LOT of choices. Btw I went with the 10 denier shell (lighter), and have been really happy with that. Helped make up for the overfill, which I think helps avoid cold spots. My first quilt was from Enlightened Equipment, which was a big improvement weight-wise. There were a few little niggles, like the drawcord at the top falling in my face. Every one of them, Mike fixed with his design. :D As a side-sleeper tosser-and-turner, the vertical baffles Mike uses work better for me, with a less steep slope for down to drift during the night.

I did something quite similar to you, Fiona, going significantly lighter without being UL. It has made a massive difference to how I feel and what I can do. :D Some of my hardest and best walks ever have been in my later years. I went from carrying 20-23 kg for a week, to 14 kg for 10 days, with enough to cope with cold, wild Tasmanian weather.

I have one of Mike's warmer quilts, as I mainly do alpine walks in Tassie. But even then, I dropped from 1.2 kg for my old bag that started at -10, to not quite half the weight (670 ish grams) for a very similar warmth (rated -8).

Simon at Tier Gear also makes quilts, with excellent workmanship as well. I haven't seen his designs in person, but they'd be good. But I had a quick look, and there's a 16 week wait for Simon's at the moment.

Iirc, Sea to Summit now sell quilts, but I have no idea re design or quality.
Last edited by Tortoise on Mon 01 Mar, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 1:27 pm

Heard a lot of good things regarding Mike's quilts.

I can vouch for One Planet as a company - amazing quality gear, customer service, and a local company. I have a Bungle -4, and I often need to open it up too. I'm a fairly warm sleeper though. I should have probably bought a lighter bag since I'm not often in sub zero conditions. I find their ratings to be on point. You could look into a One Planet Nitrous -1 bag and they run at about 500g.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Al M » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 11:46 pm

What’s your budget range?

There’s also Western Mountaineering US made (would recommend Summerlite model 0C 550g $670) brand that is very well sought after, look for Aust sellers like Paddy Pallin but shop round. I’m a warm sleeper and have taken it 0C in Himalayas at 5000m and with a liner can go less. It’s design has simple baffles that allow down to be shifted from top to bottom and vice versa to vary temperature. Others to consider are Macpac, Rab and Kathmandu.

If considering a quilt style they are mostly for back sleepers though side can be ok, but not so much for frequent tossing sleepers. Look up pros and cons.

For 0 to 2 C conditions I would be aiming for around 550-750g bag/quilt with higher quality down fill around $500-700 mark and this isn’t being an ultra lighter, it’s just the current standard of higher quality bag to aim for.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Was interested in the quilts but the wait times are very off putting - don't really want to have to wait for that long to get it. Thanks to Dexter for the OnePlanet suggestion, I had heard of them but hadn't looked at their bags. Seem like very reasonable price for a locally made ethical product.

Not too concerned about seeing the product in person, just spend enough time doing some research and follow suggestions and reviews from others on this site have assisted me heaps through this upgrading process. Mostly I have found my local bushcraft shop is very poor for service el (either they are used to being the only one in town, or maybe it's just cause i am a female who they don't seem to think knows anything about outdoor gear even though I've been hiking for over 30 years). I try to avoid the mass market chains, so I just go online for my research and purchases.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 8:42 am

Maybe this if it hasn't already been snapped up https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32853
I'm a reasonably warm sleeper and I have a -6C and +10C quilt and they cover all conditions in NSW, the -6 even covers Spring in the snow, just. If I had to buy just one, I'd go the -6C and seeing as women typically sleep colder than men, the -8C quilt in the link above could be a right for you and at a great price, so long as the sizing is right. You don't want a quilt that is too small, always go for the larger size if in doubt.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 8:44 am

I bought one of Undercling-mike's quilts and it was a real game changer for me. I'm a side sleeper and I find it doesn't move around when I turn over during the night. With a sleeping bag I was always getting twisted up and pretty much hated the thing. And the quilt feels amazing.

I thought the footbox might feel restrictive but it doesn't at all.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 9:08 am

Thanks Crolssurf - I have already PM'ed so will see :-)

Certainly everyone seems to love these quilts. At that price def worth a try!
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnrs » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 9:35 am

Hi FS
Have a look at some Aegis Max products here
http://frugalhiker.blogspot.com/search/label/aegismax
John
johnrs

Postby north-north-west » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 1:56 pm

FionaShedden wrote:Thanks Crolssurf - I have already PM'ed so will see :-)

Certainly everyone seems to love these quilts. At that price def worth a try!

There's one up in MarketPlace, $350, drawstring footbox. Grab it while you can ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Toohp » Wed 31 Mar, 2021 11:54 am

Ive owned both the Marmot Helium( older model ) and the Western Mountaineering Summerlite , the Marmot is warmer and heavier and a fantastic bag but the Summerlite is probally the one that would suit you best due to its low weight . I used to just boost then summerlite with a inner Sea to summit reactor liner if the temps got down . I highly recommend the Summerlite if the budget suits .
Worst thing was I sold both as I was going to move OS . Now I regret it I miss both those bags .
Toohp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby commando » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 1:12 pm

Firstly i don't regard too warm a bag as a disadvantage, it can save your life if your injured or lost
but if you wanted a lighter cooler bag and not a 4 season bag then i use a Katmandu Globetrotter
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Al M » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 9:26 pm

I have had a Western Mountaineering Summerlite 0 C 540g bag for 10 years and also a Megalite -2 C 680g bag. The Summerlite with a liner is an amazing bag for me (warm sleeper so good to about -5 C in practice) and has suited all of my needs (weight, performance, flexibility) both Aust and Himalayan hikes up to 5000m.

A custom Under Cling Mike bag could easily replicate and exceed the Summerlite with higher grade down fill.

I had a excellent product J&H -9 C 1.45kg bag, Aust product award winner but found it too warm for about 90% of the time and never justified the extra weight. For 0 C conditions, that are typical in Aust it was unusable, so I eventually sold it.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Neo » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi Fi.
Something different, in NSW for the warmer half of the year I have been using a Klymit versa blanket. Not rated but good for me down to 10°C overnight. The corners clip together so I use it like a quilt. Clothing on/off to suit the particular night.

Other half of the year I have an STS Altitude 2 which is comfort -4°C. Am just switching my packed gear to that bag this month, winter kit. It has a full zip so still has the versatility to use like a quilt or ti stick one leg out.

Also switching kit from regular air mat to the insulated version, warmer pants any tops. Might add the 3mm CCF too. Oh and I recently got an insulated pillow, see how it goes!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Victoria julian » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:49 pm

does anyone have any contact details for Mike, I paid a deposit over a year ago but have not been able to contact him?
I have sent messages with no replies?
thank you
Victoria julian
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment