Need a new mat that is dog claw proof.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Need a new mat that is dog claw proof.

Postby ricrunner » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 10:44 pm

My current mat, an Vango 3cm insulated self infating lasted 3 years, and was very comfortable and warm. On my first night out for a while 2 months ago, I had forgot to trim and file the dogs claws, and he punctured the mat. The next 3 nights were still okay, even for my 61 yo boney back, and I may just stick with it, but I was wondering if their was a an almost puncture proof mat out there. I know, I can just cover it, as before as I do take another thin blanket or three when bicycle camping, so it is not really a weight issue. What do you guys suggest?
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Need a new mat that is dog claw proof.

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 7:37 am

Close cell foam (as a doggie pad), trimming the dog's nails and a sleeping pad liner cotton or some such for your mat may help.

Reddit has sucess with above and xlite(for people sleeping)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/com ... ping_pads/
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 8:33 am

My son has the same mat as you, although his is the short length. I have slept on it once. I think my CCF Nemo Switchback mat is just as comfortable and is as claw proof as you could get. It weighs under 400g and concertinas down better than the Thermarest offerings.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 1:28 pm

I only use military type equipment.
https://www.acqm.com.au/shop/products/n ... at#gallery
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ricrunner » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks guys and gal, I will have a look at the offerings. After looking, I think what I may do, is get 2 of those bluey's from Woolies or Kmart, and just put one under my Vango, it would be 30mm combined, and just stick with that. The other for the dog, as I am doing more winter camps then warm weather with him. He has a sleeping bag but this would just add more comfort and warmth from the cold ground for him,. He usually sleeps the first 2 hours with me, but I move around a bit at night, and he moves to find a more quieter place to sleep. The floor of the tent, is usually covered in the spare lightweight fleece car blankets that I bring along to make it a bit warmer for both of us.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GregG » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 3:33 pm

commando wrote:I only use military type equipment.

That is an interesting perspective given the entirely different design requirements for military vs bushwalking equipment. So for example have you ever tried eating a DOD issue vegetarian ratpack?
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby commando » Fri 23 Oct, 2020 11:17 pm

GregG wrote:
commando wrote:I only use military type equipment.

That is an interesting perspective given the entirely different design requirements for military vs bushwalking equipment. So for example have you ever tried eating a DOD issue vegetarian ratpack?

Never managed to come across one at all.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment