Durable Boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Durable Boots

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 02 Oct, 2020 10:25 pm

I'm curious what type of boots you all wear for offtrack bush bashing?
I'm not interested in starting a debate on trail runners vs boots debate. I already have some trail runners and while they have their place, boots also have theirs.
I've been very disappointed with my Lowa Tibets from a durability point of view. Now it appears like I'm going to need a resole after less than 2 years of use. Not impressed with the boots.

I'm looking for a boot that has a hard shank and little to no sole flex.
Surely there are ones here that carry heavy gear over rugged terrain. What boots do you find more durable and longer lasting?
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Durable Boots

Postby north-north-west » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 6:13 am

Different boots for different feet. I know a lot of people who love Scarpa or Zamberlan. I swear by my Asolos.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 8:03 am

north-north-west wrote:Different boots for different feet. I know a lot of people who love Scarpa or Zamberlan. I swear by my Asolos.
Cheers. Yeah the hard part will be finding a way to try them on given where I live. I've never been that excited with the way Scarpa boots have fit but might have to look into the Zamberlans and Asolos.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 8:47 am

Huntsman247 wrote:I'm curious what type of boots you all wear for offtrack bush bashing?

Surely there are ones here that carry heavy gear over rugged terrain. What boots do you find more durable and longer lasting?

La Sportive Makalu
http://www.bogong.com.au/footwear/hikin ... alu-1.html
http://www.bogong.com.au/footwear/hikin ... alu-1.html
Hard to find in Australia now but Bogong have a pair left in a 41 as per the link
They now stock the Karakoram as a replacement but the older boot would be my preference, I need to replace mine due to my feet growing so when I can afford it buying from OS
http://www.bogong.com.au/footwear/hikin ... oot-1.html
Getting hard to find real boots in a 47 but the 46 now pinch my feet.
But being a light mountaineering boot they run a little narrow, if you have wide feet I'd avoid them
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 9:36 am

Moondog55 wrote:But being a light mountaineering boot they run a little narrow, if you have wide feet I'd avoid them

I've got wide feet...
Huntsman247

Postby north-north-west » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 10:02 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Different boots for different feet. I know a lot of people who love Scarpa or Zamberlan. I swear by my Asolos.
Cheers. Yeah the hard part will be finding a way to try them on given where I live. I've never been that excited with the way Scarpa boots have fit but might have to look into the Zamberlans and Asolos.

My feet hate Scarpas. Asolos are better with wider feet, and there are lacing tricks you can use that help as well.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 4:40 pm

[quote="Huntsman247"
[/quote]

That requirement is a rigid mountaineering boot for snow ice and crampons, and not really a bushwalking boot
If you want a hard shank, military army gp boots, some have stainless steel plate, and the high lace up may give the rigidity you seek.
$125.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby matagi » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 4:49 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:

Different model Scarpa boots used to be made with different lasts, so if you found one type of Scarpa worked/fitted it did not necessarily follow that all Scarpas would fit and vice versa. I don't know if they still do that, but it might be worth investigating Scarpas again. Unfortunately, they don't put the information about the last on the boots it's only on the box. Hubby has Scarpas but can only wear those made with the AX last (at least, I think it's the AX)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 5:30 pm

commando wrote:[quote="Huntsman247"

That requirement is a rigid mountaineering boot for snow ice and crampons, and not really a bushwalking boot
If you want a hard shank, military army gp boots, some have stainless steel plate, and the high lace up may give the rigidity you seek.
$125.[/quote]

Not always, this type of boot is also called a "Heavy Hiker" for those of us who carry heavy loads on rough terrain, while having a steel shank and a thick and not very flexible sole the Makalus I linked to above are OK with flexible crampons but cannot be used with rigid ice climbing crampons, they are after all a leather boot and those are never as stiff as a plastic boot
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 9:35 pm

commando wrote:That requirement is a rigid mountaineering boot for snow ice and crampons, and not really a bushwalking boot
$125.

A hard shank is not just for snow and ice.
When walking offtrack over steep terrain, scree, areas with lots of fallen trees, a stiff shank saves your feet from so much punishment. Especially when having a heaver pack. You'd have to be a masochist to stick to a soft sole if you do that regularly.
I've taken a look a gp army boots in the past. Just not technical enough. Although lacing high they don't have the same support and padding as heavy weight bushwalking boots. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you couldn't use them for that. But I'm looking to make my life easier not just get by.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 9:38 pm

matagi wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:

Different model Scarpa boots used to be made with different lasts, so if you found one type of Scarpa worked/fitted it did not necessarily follow that all Scarpas would fit and vice versa. I don't know if they still do that, but it might be worth investigating Scarpas again. Unfortunately, they don't put the information about the last on the boots it's only on the box. Hubby has Scarpas but can only wear those made with the AX last (at least, I think it's the AX)
I think I've tried the wide scarpas but they still feel off for me... I've just got unusual feet. Lol
Huntsman247

Postby Aardvark » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 10:03 am

You're doing everybody a dis-service by perpetuating the myth that any one brand is consistent with the type of footwear (in terms of size and shape) it produces.
It would simply make no sense for any brand to limit it's market in such a way. That's akin to someone opening a store for left handed people only.

A brand has to cater for as much of the market as it can in order to survive or compete. The problem is often exacerbated by a small market such as ours (Australia) in which any one retailer or wholesaler chooses to purchase a limited number of options from any one brand.

Your experience (and it would be wrong to say that's not limited because most people don't accumulate too many boots let alone get to try on dozens of options) might make you shy of a particular brand. To advocate the purchase of only one brand to anyone else, based on your experience, is to deny that FIT is more important.

If you're too tight with the dollars to accept that you might get it wrong from time to time and choose a lemon then perhaps you should question if the activity you're doing is right for you OR the risks to yourself and those who might have to deal in some way with your misfortune are really worth it.
An activity such as bushwalking dictates that the interface between you and the earth you tread is probably the most important piece of equipment you could have.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 1:08 pm

Aardvark wrote:You're doing everybody a dis-service by perpetuating the myth that any one brand is consistent with the type of footwear (in terms of size and shape) it produces.
It would simply make no sense for any brand to limit it's market in such a way. That's akin to someone opening a store for left handed people only.

Lol. Thanks for the laugh.
Dunno how I'm perpetuating myths here. I've tried already tried certain boots and am not quite happy with the market offerings of 'popular' brands. Hence looking for some other brands that I haven't tried. I'm after hard wearing boots but in no way am I indicating that one should trade fit and comfort for durability or be tight fisted in buying boots given my current boots fall in the 'premium' bracket I'm surprised you've come to that conclusion.
Nor has anyone else's comments indicated that except for certain models. Which is perfectly normal, as that are as you say varied between models.
Huntsman247

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 1:32 pm

Back in the '80's I had a pair of Rossi something-or-others. Very stiff sole, rigid steel shank, brilliant for walking up scree slopes and rough rocky terrain. After many years the steel shank broke on one, so I looked around for something similar but Rossi don't make them like that anymore. I ended up with a pair of One Planet Douglas's. Aussie company although the boots aren't made in Oz. Sole is stiff but not in the same league as the old Rossi's. Might be worth considering though.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 1:43 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:Back in the '80's I had a pair of Rossi something-or-others. Very stiff sole, rigid steel shank, brilliant for walking up scree slopes and rough rocky terrain. After many years the steel shank broke on one, so I looked around for something similar but Rossi don't make them like that anymore. I ended up with a pair of One Planet Douglas's. Aussie company although the boots aren't made in Oz. Sole is stiff but not in the same league as the old Rossi's. Might be worth considering though.
Oooh didn't know oneplanet made boots. I'll check them out.
Huntsman247

Postby north-north-west » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 1:57 pm

Aardvark wrote:Your experience (and it would be wrong to say that's not limited because most people don't accumulate too many boots let alone get to try on dozens of options) might make you shy of a particular brand. To advocate the purchase of only one brand to anyone else, based on your experience, is to deny that FIT is more important.

I hadn't noticed anyone advocating the purchase of only one brand regardless of fit and circumstance. What we have done is say what works for us.
Like Huntsman, I have weird feet. They scream when I try on Scarpas (amongst some others), and have done so with every style of Scarpa I have tried over my entire walking career, which is far too many. But when my feet slide into a particular style of Asolo I found some 15 years ago, they breathe a sigh of something fairly close to ecstasy.
That doesn't mean anyone else will have the same experience, but we were asked for our personal experiences, so ...
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 2:28 pm

I have wide feet and wore the One Planets -black suede ones-when they came out about four years back and liked them but for the finish of the inner. If they have improved the quality of the inner (sole area seams were raised) they are alright. I think they were still getting it right, as I returned them no issue with about 100 ks on them, but they couldn't guarantee the others were any better. So I didn't replace them.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 3:03 pm

Lamont wrote:I have wide feet and wore the One Planets -black suede ones-when they came out about four years back and liked them but for the finish of the inner. If they have improved the quality of the inner (sole area seams were raised) they are alright. I think they were still getting it right, as I returned them no issue with about 100 ks on them, but they couldn't guarantee the others were any better. So I didn't replace them.

Black Suede sounds like the Douglas's. I went and had another look at mine but I couldn't find any raised seams inside. Maybe they fixed the problem. I find them comfortable albeit a bit on the heavy side.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 3:36 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:
Lamont wrote:I have wide feet and wore the One Planets -black suede ones-when they came out about four years back and liked them but for the finish of the inner. If they have improved the quality of the inner (sole area seams were raised) they are alright. I think they were still getting it right, as I returned them no issue with about 100 ks on them, but they couldn't guarantee the others were any better. So I didn't replace them.

Black Suede sounds like the Douglas's. I went and had another look at mine but I couldn't find any raised seams inside. Maybe they fixed the problem. I find them comfortable albeit a bit on the heavy side.

Yep, The Douglas -just had a look at OP. I loved the look of that black suede-I felt like Elvis.
The inner sole they provided was a joke (no really, I laughed out loud. It was stuck together and literally a little pad under the heel had been (messily) glued on -by hand!) and when I put my proper one in the boot the seam began shredding the inner sole-that cost me a good dollar.
Good to know they sorted the inner. I think I ordered the first pair and when I gave them my feedback perhaps they binned the rest of them as I got the impression all the others were the same? Worth checking under the inner sole on a purchase perhaps?
ps unrelated I wish they would remove that incredibly dopey wp liner and I might try a pair of the shoey things.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Tino B » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 9:29 am

A mate of mine uses Meindl Jorasse boots off track and their forestry equivalent for work. They are surprisingly light for such solid boots, have few exposed seems and a stiff shank.

https://runrepeat.com/meindl-jorasse-gtx
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 9:39 am

If you really, really must have boots with a rigid sole I can recommend Salomon x-alp ltr mid. They are a B1 (i.e. for flexible crampons) mountaineering boot but very lightweight for that style of footwear.

I know that you said that you wanted boots but Salomon xa pro 3ds work well for me off track. Personally, I see no reason to wear boots when the track ends and the scrub/scree or rock starts - of course it depends upon where you are going off track but my trail runners get beat up less on dolerite boulder fields than my old trad leather boots did because of the extensive rand.

I am NOT trying to start a boots vs trail runners thread but I have found some trail runners to be very durable I have had some trad boots to self destruct even on track. Moreover, boots almost invariably come with a gore-tex liner these days which may be what you want as well but if you don't: good luck finding a pair. The closest I have found is a non gtx leather approach shoe with a stiff sole.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby headwerkn » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 10:33 am

Watching this thread with interest.

I, too, absolutely abhor my Lowa Tibet GTXs and honestly will be surprised they'll last me 2 years without major repair work. Useless randing, soft leather, crap soles. Not terribly comfortable either for longer walks.

I'll happily ditch them come summer for either lightweight boots or trail runners, but it would be nice to have a decent, fairly waterproof option for winter hiking that can handle microspikes/snow shoes without falling to bits.
headwerkn

Postby crollsurf » Tue 06 Oct, 2020 11:17 am

I can recommend Zamberlan Vios boots. Super stiff sole but comfortable heel to toe when walking. Love these boots but don't wear them often because they are heavy. Also being leather upper you have to keep the polish up to them. Mountain Designs used to sell them before they went broke, so not sure where to go these days to try on a pair.

For a super durable sole, I've clocked over 1500km on a pair of Scarpa Moraine Plus GTX hiking shoes. Upper finally split behind the little toe just a couple of days ago. No ankle protection and the sole isn't that great for grip but for durability, I've never owned another shoe that has come close to these.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dave95 » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:55 am

Zamberlans are still sold by Mountain Designs. They didn't go broke. They closed their physical stores and went online but took a break in-between. Zamberlan have also partnered with Anaconda who stock a selection of their gear, including, it appears, Zamberlans.
Dave95
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby PedroArvy » Sat 16 Jan, 2021 4:41 pm

slparker wrote:my trail runners get beat up less on dolerite boulder fields than my old trad leather boots did because of

What specific brands and models of trail runners do you like for boulder fields?
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Fri 29 Jan, 2021 11:39 am

PedroArvy wrote:
slparker wrote:my trail runners get beat up less on dolerite boulder fields than my old trad leather boots did because of

What specific brands and models of trail runners do you like for boulder fields?

Salomon trail runners have a durable rubber rand as do La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I made the connection when I wore some ultralight salomon synapse boots (now long discontinued) up ben lomond - the toes were mildly scratched but on previous trips my leather boots were deeply scored by the scree. Since then I have worn trail runners.

Obviously a leather boot with a rubber rand would likely be more durable than trail runners but then also heaps heavier and more clumsy whilst rockhopping on boulder fields.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Fri 29 Jan, 2021 10:35 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:
Huntsman what size are you? I have some Zamberlan 996 Vioz in a US 10.5 if you want to try them, so long as you are happy to pay postage and I see them again :D

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 4:15 pm

Dexter wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:
Huntsman what size are you? I have some Zamberlan 996 Vioz in a US 10.5 if you want to try them, so long as you are happy to pay postage and I see them again :D

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hey mate, cheers for the offer. I've actually bought a new pair already and was just wanting to use them a couple more times before I gave a bit of an update.
All good for now though. I'm actually 10.5 UK so I think my feet wouldn't fit anyways unfortunately.
Huntsman247

Postby Dexter » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 7:15 am

All good! What did you end up buying?
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment