Trekking Poles - Costco

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Trekking Poles - Costco

Postby Llamachime » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 2:37 pm

Costco is now selling some trekking poles in Australia. They've been selling these in the US for a while now and seem popular.
https://www.costco.com.au/Sports-Fitnes ... s/p/811851

I've not used treking poles before and thought this might be a reliable cheap pair to start with.
Does anyone have an alternative trekking pole for a beginner?
Llamachime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Trekking Poles - Costco

Postby Mark F » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 9:19 pm

I suspect they will be quite reasonable and certainly value for money. I don't know whether these are the same poles as Andrew Skurka reviewed https://andrewskurka.com/costco-trekking-poles/. Andrew is a very knowledgeable and reliable reviewer. They are not the lightest at 226g each. My cf poles from Ruta Locura weigh about 120g each while my first pair of Komperdell Al poles weigh about 300g each.

My recommendation - grab a pair. At worst it won't be the worst $65 you ever wasted. At best it will be a real bargain.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby commando » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 1:29 am

My left hand carries the GPS, my right hand carries the trekking pole, and i have never had a reason
for two poles, but everyone is different.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby stry » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 7:56 am

Mark F wrote:I suspect they will be quite reasonable and certainly value for money. I don't know whether these are the same poles as Andrew Skurka reviewed https://andrewskurka.com/costco-trekking-poles/. Andrew is a very knowledgeable and reliable reviewer. They are not the lightest at 226g each. My cf poles from Ruta Locura weigh about 120g each while my first pair of Komperdell Al poles weigh about 300g each.

My recommendation - grab a pair. At worst it won't be the worst $65 you ever wasted. At best it will be a real bargain.

Agree :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mikeRsyd » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 8:17 pm

Cascade mountain trekking poles have been on Amazon for a couple of years. There are 1000plus reviews. They will probably be fine.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment