Overseas purchases

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Overseas purchases

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey There Everyone,

So we are planningon the walking the Overland track next winter and have been upgrading a few things and have purchased overseas. Iknow they brought in the Harvey Norman rule and made retailers enforce the payment of GST.

Since we have been upgrading we have bought from some large retailer sin the US and have not had many issues in getting the goods on our doorstep. Feathered friends is an example, they ship direct to Austra;lia no questions asked.

Is everyone else finding the same where you are not having any issues ?

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Overseas purchases

Postby Zapruda » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 1:54 pm

I haven’t had the Gerry Harvey tax applied to any of my OS purchases. I get quite a lot of them as well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 2:02 pm

Buy via eBay and that company adds the GST
A lot of businesses overseas simply refuse to collect an Australian tax and just ship. Some businesses have simply decided that Australia sales are not worth the trouble and just refuse to sell to us.
FF is a good example of a business that won't collect the tax
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baka Dasai » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 2:20 pm

I've not had issues with purchasing from overseas shops on the internet. I've never never paid GST either.

But international shipping is messed up at the moment due to COVID-19, and so things are taking a LOT longer to get here. Perhaps an extra 2- or 3-week delay.
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 2:27 pm

LOL, tell me about the delays, I bought a new titanium wallet from Vargo and it left New York on the 5th of August and I am still waiting for it. It has been sitting in Australia in multiple hubs since then. Landed in Perth, went missing for weeks, appreared in Sydney Yesterday lol.

I have had no issues, the only thing I have had trouble with is buying direct from Outdoor research.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 2:47 pm

My understanding is they only have to charge GST if they sell more than $75,000 worth into Australia each year. That's why bigger companies either charge the GST on international purchases, or don't sell direct to Australia. For most little cottage businesses, they won't get close to that figure, so it's not an issue.

The other thing to keep in mind is that $1000 is the magic figure at which point customs get interested in your package and may hold it up. If you're ordering stuff worth more than that, it may be worth getting it split into two smaller packages.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Neo » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 3:56 pm

Recent topic I wrote USA 3-4 weeks, UK about 3. One UK item was 6 weeks so must have been low priority. One from Germany
was 4 weeks but I had to redirect from a saved old address. Within Australia a bit longer but either side of one week. All in virus times.

Haven't noticed any gst added, many websites show a price in AUD.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikeRsyd » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 4:53 pm

I got stuff shipped from outdoorline.sk in Slovakia, ordered Sunday came Friday. No extra fees. I've noticed gossamer gear doubled their delivery fee

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 5:58 pm

Surely our Aussie suppliers should be getting all our business at this time.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 7:42 pm

oldpiscator wrote:Surely our Aussie suppliers should be getting all our business at this time.

Sure, if those suppliers sell what you want and at a reasonable price...

When those suppliers decide to sell things at a ridiculous mark up because your average Australian consumer is clueless, then I start to question whether I should support straight up greed.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 7:54 pm

To be fair, the main issue is the distributors. Most outdoor brands have an exclusive distributor. They not only jack up the price, they force retailers to sell at a particular price. If they don't, they can't access the product any more.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Zapruda » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 8:03 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:To be fair, the main issue is the distributors. Most outdoor brands have an exclusive distributor. They not only jack up the price, they force retailers to sell at a particular price. If they don't, they can't access the product any more.

Absolutely. I guess I was thinking more about companies who sell their own branded kit.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikeRsyd » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 8:05 pm

Yeah alot of stuff is not available here and if there is a distributor they dont usually stock the whole range.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment