Z-Rest as rucksack frame

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Z-Rest as rucksack frame

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 7:45 am

Since I have been unable to find an older style inch thick T'Rest to use as the support frame for my winter day pack I have thought about buying a Z-Lite and using that.
Anybody here have one at hand to experiment for me and answer a quick question?
Can they be folded 2 sections wide and still nest compactly?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Z-Rest as rucksack frame

Postby Neo » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 9:01 am

I have one. It is in six sections so can be folded in half and yes the dimples fit together so as flat as can be.

In half it is about 30x20 cm so not very large...

Try this for much the same thing much cheaper! Looking at the second photo the bumps line up to be flat if folded in half:
https://ultralighthiker.com.au/collecti ... am-sit-pad

Edit: sorry I was thinking of the smaller Z-seat
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 11:30 am

Like Neo I use a slab of Z-rest. In my case it is 4 sections of Z-rest mat (not seat) attached to the back of my Laufburche pack. It folds in half so two section wide. Each fold is 13cm x 50cm so you end up with a pad 26cm x 50cm x 2.5cm (Weight 100g). I have it attached externally with shock cord lacing (that's standard with the Laufbursche) and it provides good structure to the pack but I never carry more than 10kg. Used internally I expect it would provide more rigidity. Having it attached externally allows it to be used as a sit mat during the day.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanx, I don't think the number of sections I would need as a bivvy pad will fit then. I'll try and scrounge some more floor underlay and experiment with that.
prior experience tells me I need at least the equivalent of a 3/4 mat in length. I thought I had a T'Rest UL trail seat around but I can't find it at the moment, that might have done for hip bone insulation and support
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 6:33 pm

Six folds will cover you for neck to buttocks which is all you need for survival reasons - pack under the legs and rain jacket on top of boots for a pillow. I am 180cm and find I can curl up sufficiently on the 4 folds for emergency use.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 7:14 pm

Neo wrote:
Try this for much the same thing much cheaper! Looking at the second photo the bumps line up to be flat if folded in half:
https://ultralighthiker.com.au/collecti ... am-sit-pad

Edit: sorry I was thinking of the smaller Z-seat

I have had one of the above for the last 3 years, from Aliexpress and cost less than $2 at the time, including shipping. Probably too small for your purposes, but the best buck eighty I have spent in a while :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:23 pm

Well I might be able to squeeze them into the thin pocket depending on how thick it is, I could squeeze the T'Rests down to an inch thick, A shame neither of them hold air now
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 8:55 am

I use a Thermarest Z seat which is 8 sections. The reason I like it is the 2 outer folds can be folded in on itself, which compensates a bit for the barreling of the pack
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:30 am

It just became an academic question because I finally managed to find another inch thick T'Rest 3/4 to use as the frame and emergency pad and I also scrounged some more flooring underlay in the blue as well.
The S/H mat was cheaper than buying a new foam Z-Rest pad so a small win there
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment