Buying Gear for Hiking with Children

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Buying Gear for Hiking with Children

Postby 40725359 » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 7:20 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for gear. My husband and I are hoping to start taking our children on some 1 and 2 night hikes. They are small (7,5,2) so we only anticipate walking short, flattish distances (7-8kms a day), and only in three seasons around NSW. Our youngest (12kg) will walk very slowly and then go in a front pack on my husband. Husband is 85kg, I am 60kg, and in terms of weight we would rather get lighter gear and care for it accordingly.

We have some gear already:
MD Phantom 32
MD Merced 32
Two kids sleeping bags
2 basic self-inflating mats (thin)
Two blue foam mats chopped into child sized pieces
Aldi stove and cookset

Can you help with the following:
1. A down bag which goes down to 0-2* for Mr 7 to grow into
2. Lightweight tent options - thinking a 2 and 3 man with decent vestibule
3. Lightweight pack options for my husband and I, and for Mr 7. I'm open to making our own packs if I can get detailed info/a kit

I've been looking online for a little while for secondhand bits but I need more direction with what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys!
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Buying Gear for Hiking with Children

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 8:11 am

I'd check out AliExpress for some gear options that are lightweight and not too expensive.
I've got the 3f ul Lanshan 2 trekking pole tent (2 person, 2 vestibules - each side), 1.3 kg approx.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283729 ... web201603_

(I'm not suggesting this seller, you might find cheaper on the site looking around, just linking to examples)

I've got the 3f ul frameless backpack. About 800g, 56 L, doesn't carry heavy weights well. (no frame).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284332 ... web201603_

I known you mentioned you want down, but I got a good synthetic bag last year from Tentworld that's junior size for my then 9 year old which we've used since.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/o ... bag-junior

If you have your heart set on down, check out AliExpress (I'm assuming you're OK with importing from China) the aegismax have down bags for about $100.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296109 ... web201603_

I'd swap the self-inflating mats for inflatable mats, you'll save some weight.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 9:04 am

Baeng has made some great suggestions. Well done on getting out there with the kids, they will love it.

I own an aegismax bag and have been very pleased with its quality. Good value if you want down for the kids. The lighter weight aegismax bags do use ( outer 10D?) fabric to keep weight down, but my kids have used it , as have I with no signs of damage. Your children are still small though, so could get away with shorter kids bags, which are a very common listing on the second hand market on ebay and gumtree and due to sizing, the synthetics are still nice and light.

I just bought a new 3p tent for use with my kids, wouldnt suit your use as no vestibule, it was cheap as chips though. It is a 3F UL 2-3 Pyramid and fits us three in okay -me 5ft, kids aged 11 and 12yo both nearly as tall as I am. I have also owned the Lanshan 2 that Baeng mentions above and was very pleased with it in the time I used it. 2x Lanshans would fit you all nicely and not be too heavy for you to shoulder, given the smaller of your gang can't help out with carrying anything.

What fun, your kids will remember the adventures you have as they grow- what a gift to give to them.
My kids only walk 4-5km with an overnight pack on at the moment, unloaded though, I can get a good 8-12km out of them with minimal whingeing, provided snack options are exciting!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby nezumi » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 4:01 pm

When I took my then 3yo for our first overnight trip (bikepacking), I looked at getting him a sleeping bag, with a particular focus on the Big Agnes range of bags.

Ultimately I decided to simply get my wife to adapt a bag I bought from Aldi (0 degree down bag) to suit him by attaching some ties so I could roll up and secure the bottom of the bag. It does still have too much width, but this isn't a massive problem. I simply found that for the weight and cost, I was better off modifying the bag I already had than buying something sized for him.

Likewise, for a sleeping pad I actually used a 3/4 length thermarest one I got from the forums.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment