Backpack upgrade

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Backpack upgrade

Postby Mookie » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 10:01 am

Hi all!

I am looking in getting a new lightweight (or lightweight-is) backpack that is comfortable and suitable for multi-day hiking trips. I love the look of the Wilderness Threadworks Ossa, although it is difficult to find any in depth reviews or pictures of the pack. I also like the look of the Hanchor Marl which appears to be somewhat similar, although made offshore. I'm really open to any suggestions. I prefer comfort over a few grams of weight to an extent.
I currently have a One Planet 70l pack that I have had for 20 years and it has held up so well.... but it really is on the heavy side compared to more contemporary packs and I am hoping to lighten the pack weight considerably with a new purchase!

Would love to hear any thoughts as the more I research the more confused I become!! I am 5'3, female and average build if this helps with any suggestions!

Thanks so much :)
Mookie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Backpack upgrade

Postby ribuck » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 5:34 pm

How do you find the capacity of the One Planet 70 litre? One of the easiest ways to lighten up is to get a smaller pack.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Mookie » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 6:49 pm

The 70l is definitely way too big. It weighs around 3kg alone. I’d be looking for something roughly 50l.
Mookie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 9:28 pm

G'day just wondering did you know the Ossa is a 40 litre not 48 litre internal cavity/compartment measurement? Only raise it because I get the impression from your question you might be after the full 50 litres internal? If not obviously just ignore this.
The other eight litres are in the water bottle pockets and the back pocket.
Good hunting.
Last edited by Lamont on Fri 21 Aug, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Backpack upgrade

Postby warnesy » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 10:30 pm

I’d be looking at Gossamer Gear Mariposa or something similar. Super light pack (845g) can take plenty of gear and 60l. I’ve done up to six days with it no problems.

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/m ... t-backpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Al M » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 10:45 pm

Here’s a bunch of others to consider and among them similar to the two you mentioned but with popular reviews so might be safer bet if you cannot try them out in a shop. https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-backpacking-backpacks

It depends on your requirements and what you will use the pack for mostly whether pure hiking, bush bashing, extended multiday or short trip length, typical max weight carrying, combo of dual use air flight travel and hit the local trail feet running. The two you are considering weigh around 900-1000g and puts you in the light base weight category so a good start if you also have similar category sleeping bag, matt and tent.

If you are hiking in narrow bush trails the ones with generous saggy mesh side pockets can be a hinderance getting caught on bushes and ripped.

Some packs use waterproof fabric saving the need for external rain cover and resulting in weight saving, reduced bulk and clutter.

If you want a less sweaty back other packs have air mesh suspension. I’m generally happy with my Osprey Exos 46L for all round usage.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Petew » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 12:18 pm

Have a look at Atom packs as well they do a model called the MO which I have and is excellent. Bit pricey though...
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mookie » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks everyone!
It's a hard choice to make!!
I really love Dan's packs from WTW.
Love the pocket formation on the Mariposa, with the double pocked on one side and the larger on the other, but guessing that if I do go down the cottage industry Aussie made route, that this is something I could definitely request.

The great thing about iso is the time I have to research all these packs!!

Thanks guys :)
Mookie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby south » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 8:28 pm

have a think about an exped Lighting 60.
1kg with an aluminum frame. It's worth a look if you can find one instore to try on.
south
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby shehaal » Tue 10 Aug, 2021 7:37 am

Hi Mookie, did you end up settling on a pack? If not, I just came across this ultralight gear hire service in Melbourne that has a Wilderness Threadworks Ossa pack:

https://www.lighterfasterhire.com.au/
shehaal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby curley » Sun 22 Aug, 2021 7:31 pm

One planet now has some lighter options. The WBA with the full harness is about 2 kg and would be 60l in your size. I have one of these (purchased about 6 months ago) and am very happy (having spent ages considering lighter packs). OP also have a range of lighter packs with what they call a mid-harness, also with lighter materials. They come in around 1.2 to 1.5 kg and volumes around 50-60 l. Worth looking at although for me the mid harness didn't stabilize the pack adequately.
curley
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Tino B » Tue 24 Aug, 2021 11:00 pm

As South has said, the Exped Lightning 60 is worth a look - tough, light and very comfortable.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 8:23 am

Slightly heavier at 1.3kg but with full support, huge side pockets and loads of versatility - including ability to carry up to 70L at a guess - after an enormous amount of research, I settled on the Granite Gear Blaze60. I’m sure you can’t go wrong with any of the recommendations though. Just adding another to consider. It is a very popular pack.

https://www.granitegear.com/blaze-60-unisex.html
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 9:07 am

One Planet’s light-ish range have been improving over the past few years and are now very good. Check out their “Canopy” (50 litres, 1.45 kg) and “Tussock” (60 litres, 1.5 kg).

I’ve just got a Tussock, and although I’ve only used it once, I reckon it’s an excellent pack. About half the weight of my older and larger One Planet pack.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 9:20 am

I like the smaller OP packs. The Exped Lightning also comes in 45L.
Never even seen a WTW pack in person Mookie but the reviews are always positive. I'd give one a go :) (if I needed a new backpack).
Send a review if you go that way?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 4:43 pm

+1 for Al M's call on the Osprey Exos. Not super durable, so probably won't last 20 years but the air-light system against your back, is something I miss.

Osprey Exos is an excellent first choice to lightening your load

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment