Foot size and shape for sleeping bags/quilts

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Foot size and shape for sleeping bags/quilts

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 8:11 am

Round. Square. Something else?
Round ends are far more common and I would assume because it is easier to make and sew.
My personal preference is for a tall rectangle but I do have biggish feet and I don't move inside my bag, I drag my bag around with me as I change from side to side. No zipper in my bag.
Do people have a preference or is the shape and size of a footbox the last thing you look at when buying a new bag or quilt?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Foot size and shape for sleeping bags/quilts

Postby Zapruda » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 8:39 am

I’ve never had an issue with round footboxes on my bags. My feet are size US 11/12 depending on the shoe. I don’t see how a rectangle footbox would offer an advantage over a round one, in fact it might be less efficient if your feet end up on the short side of the rectangle during the night and compress the down.

I know Nunatak offer different size footboxes if you have exceptionally large feet.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:38 pm

Well if the rectangle is much taller than it is wide your feet don't touch the top of the footbox.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:42 pm

[quote="Zapruda"
]t might be less efficient if your feet end up on the short side of the rectangle during the night and compress the down.
[/quote]
That is why I said I don't move inside my bag, my bag moves with me.
My feet are only a tad bigger at a size 11/12 or Mondo 30 but I might wear bivvie boots in really cold weather and they'd add a good 50 to 70 mm extra length
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 1:15 pm

I'm not fussed, as long as I have sufficient room. The premise of a rectangle being more efficient implies a snugger fit to realise that efficiency, and that could be counterproductive.

I have early One Planets which are squarish (I think) and WMs, which are roundish. I don't notice any difference but I do have dainty size 42 feet. :D

If I had to choose, I would prefer the footbox to be a little loose, for the reasons mentioned by Zapruda.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 1:24 pm

Early OP bags were a parallelogram, wider at the top than the bottom,I only know this because I've owned a few over the years.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 2:14 pm

I believe you are correct MD :D Mine fit that description IIRC.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment