What length sleeping mat?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What length sleeping mat?

Postby ggorgeman » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 10:24 am

Keen to know preferences and pros/cons re length of sleeping mat. I'm more inclined towards getting a shorter 3/4 length but would be interested in others experiences and thoughts. TIA.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: What length sleeping mat?

Postby Zapruda » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 10:44 am

The thicker the mat, the longer the length is my preference.

If using a foam mat I am quite happy for it to end at my knees. There is no drop and I can keep my legs warm with my pack.

The drop off on a 3/4 length inflatable is far too noticeable for me. I have a full length xtherm for the colder months.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby crollsurf » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 11:30 am

The approx 100g for the long is a no brainer for me but some people use a short and their pack to keep their legs and feet off the ground.

Its about finding the system that works for you

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 11:32 am

Yep it's interesting how short you can go when you are low. I have been meaning to chop my L Xlite for a year. But being quite thick and with that drop off I've struggled to work out a length. I think at my height of 1.79m I would go to about 1.6 and it would be fine-so chop off about 40 cms. But I would, like Z, struggle if it were too much shorter I think. But the width is also important for me-a short, high and narrow might be a nightmare. Whereas a short wide and high might be a bit more useable. Something like a wide (60 cms) but 20cms shorter than a persons/my height would be sweet as. Using the standard 178 cms Xtherm at my height it was the width (51cms)that bothered me most.
Last edited by Lamont on Sun 09 Aug, 2020 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Al M » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 11:35 am

I’ve always got by many years on a 350-400g Thermarest 3/4 length 2.5cm thick inflatable foam matts, one even lasted about 20 years and very durable, self inflating and easy to use. Comfort is less than the latest 5cm inflatables but I am finding with my Thermarest Neo Xlite 3/4 200g the drop off is too high and like sleeping on a beach ball so the full length heavier one would be better.

It depends on what you want to spend, length of typical over nights, hiking conditions whether you need at or below zero temp performance or not.

If cost no issue something like a $390 full length 200g 5cm and R2.3 Thermarest Uberlite would be good without need for 3/4 length compromise https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-sleeping-pads
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tortoise » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 1:03 pm

It would be great if you could borrow a 3/4 length one before you commit, to see how it goes for you. Even though I'm short, I moved to a full length mat a few years ago, and got better sleep. Even with the old 2.5 cm high thermarests, the 3/4 length didn't work for me. As a restless sleeper, I'd kick away my foam sit mat/clothes in the night and get icy tootsies. I never found the pack-under-my-lower-legs option comfortable, and found that even putting it in a garbage bag in wet, muddy conditions, it was hard to keep everything clean.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment