Women's jacket for OLT

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Women's jacket for OLT

Postby woyapp1 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi all

I'm booked in for the OLT in December, am slowly getting gear together and am looking for some assistance with jackets. I don't currently have one that's particularly good at withstanding wet weather. I have a fleece jacket to go under and/or thermals. I tend to overheat easily when exercising, so it would be helpful to have good ventilation. I'm looking at jackets with pit zips and have read through a few of the previous threads on here about jackets.

Right now I'm looking at the following:

Outdoor Research Aspire
Macpac Resolution Pertex (although doesn't have pit zips)
Mont-bell Versalite OR Rain Dancer

However, in at least one of the threads, someone mentioned the "Marmot Precip" which is obviously much cheaper. Is it possible to stay dry enough in such a low cost jacket?

Any other suggestions?

I don't mind spending a $300-400 if necessary, however I'm also looking to cut some weight from my pack (I'll ask for some assistance there shortly too!)

Thanks
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Women's jacket for OLT

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:10 pm

I've used the Outdoor Research Aspire jacket for years now (approx 8 years). Its a great jacket, and the side zips are amazing for ventilation. I've used it from snow to heavy downpours in SEQLD and I really can't fault it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:41 pm

Not sure if it's available anymore but I reccomend the Montbell storm cruiser jacket. Lightweight 3ply GTX with pit zips. Goes well with a Macpac Nitro underneath.

The precip is an ok jacket (I've had two) but it will wear fast where your pack straps sit. Pit zips are highly recommended as it's much more effective at venting moisture and heat.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:09 pm

Outdoor Research make great gear. I have one of their jackets - might even be the Aspire - for when I want minimal weight. Doesn't get a lot of use out bush because I don't want to expose it to Tassie scrub, but it's perfect for a well-tracked walk like the Overland.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby woyapp1 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:47 pm

Petew wrote:Not sure if it's available anymore but I reccomend the Montbell storm cruiser jacket. Lightweight 3ply GTX with pit zips. Goes well with a Macpac Nitro underneath.

The precip is an ok jacket (I've had two) but it will wear fast where your pack straps sit. Pit zips are highly recommended as it's much more effective at venting moisture and heat.

Looks like it is available & looks great. It's getting up there in price though!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp1 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:51 pm

north-north-west wrote:Outdoor Research make great gear. I have one of their jackets - might even be the Aspire - for when I want minimal weight. Doesn't get a lot of use out bush because I don't want to expose it to Tassie scrub, but it's perfect for a well-tracked walk like the Overland.

Any idea how it runs size-wise? I'm usually a S-M in women's jackets & when trying on other brands have been going up to a M to ensure I can fit my fleece underneath. However, according to the sizing chart for Outdoor Research, I'd be a L. Maybe they do the math for you (i.e include extra room for gear underneath in the sizing)?

If they don't seem to run small or anything, I'd probably stick with my usual (M) and just risk it.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 3:15 pm

woyapp1 wrote:
Petew wrote:Not sure if it's available anymore but I reccomend the Montbell storm cruiser jacket. Lightweight 3ply GTX with pit zips. Goes well with a Macpac Nitro underneath.

Looks like it is available & looks great. It's getting up there in price though!

Not too bad. I got it for $320 from Larry Adler. It was $400 but I asked for a discount and they gave me one!

The Precip is fine when new.
Petew

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:30 pm

woyapp1 wrote:Any idea how it runs size-wise? I'm usually a S-M in women's jackets & when trying on other brands have been going up to a M to ensure I can fit my fleece underneath. However, according to the sizing chart for Outdoor Research, I'd be a L. Maybe they do the math for you (i.e include extra room for gear underneath in the sizing)?

I'm usually a 10 up top, 12 if I need to do a lot of layering. My OR jacket is S and it's probably equivalent to size 10. There's comfortable room for thermal layer and a fleece, but not down as well if I want it to zip up. Having more boobage would make a difference, however.

eta: Pretty sure my jacket is a considerably older version of the Aspire.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:38 pm

Sorry to interrupt-do either of you ladies please know the men's equivalent of female size 14 and 16?
Is it L (14) and XL(16) in men's do you happen to know?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby woyapp1 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:16 pm

Lamont wrote:Sorry to interrupt-do either of you ladies please know the men's equivalent of female size 14 and 16?

Hmm, I would think it would be more likely to be a men's M = women's 14 and men's L = women's 16.
But that's just a guess based on the idea that I wear a women's 12 (usually M in women's) so would expect a L in women's to be around a 14 and XL a 16.

Hope that makes sense rather than confusing things further!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp1 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:21 pm

north-north-west wrote:
woyapp1 wrote:Any idea how it runs size-wise? I'm usually a S-M in women's jackets & when trying on other brands have been going up to a M to ensure I can fit my fleece underneath. However, according to the sizing chart for Outdoor Research, I'd be a L. Maybe they do the math for you (i.e include extra room for gear underneath in the sizing)?

I'm usually a 10 up top, 12 if I need to do a lot of layering. My OR jacket is S and it's probably equivalent to size 10. There's comfortable room for thermal layer and a fleece, but not down as well if I want it to zip up. Having more boobage would make a difference, however.

eta: Pretty sure my jacket is a considerably older version of the Aspire.

Thanks, that's really helpful. No significant boobage here!!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 6:12 pm

woyapp1 wrote:
Lamont wrote:Sorry to interrupt-do either of you ladies please know the men's equivalent of female size 14 and 16?

Hmm, I would think it would be more likely to be a men's M = women's 14 and men's L = women's 16.
But that's just a guess based on the idea that I wear a women's 12 (usually M in women's) so would expect a L in women's to be around a 14 and XL a 16.

Thanks. Does make sense.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Al M » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 2:28 am

I have got by for many years with a low end and cost rain jacket using simple water proof treated nylon with half body vents back and front mid level and stood up well in many downpours and windy conditions, as good as those with around me with hi end material jackets. The brand name was Peak and don’t know if they make that vented style anymore but last time I saw it cost about $80.

When I bought it years ago it was oversized and extended long past my butt almost trench coat length so good when the back pack was on belted up scrunched upwards a bit and generous fit for warm clothing under it.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby woyapp1 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 8:57 am

Ideally I'd like to get the OR Aspire. But there doesn't seem to be a single women's M in the whole of Australia, nor can I find US companies that will ship here! At least I have a bit of time before my trip, but it would be nice to get it sooner rather than later.

On that note, does anyone have any experience with the Patagonia Torrentshell 3L? It looks like a fairly similar jacket, but definitely doesn't do as well in reviews as the OR.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:46 am

This company seem too ship to Aus, and they have the M:
https://mountainequipment.com/products/aspire-jacket-women_s?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby woyapp1 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 10:06 am

north-north-west wrote:This company seem too ship to Aus, and they have the M:
https://mountainequipment.com/products/aspire-jacket-women_s?

Yes, sorry, I forgot about them. I'm really not keen on the red...

But actually I did find some here https://www.backpacking-united.com/au/o ... ck-peacock

However, the colours look a bit different, so I'm not sure if they're an older (or even newer?) style. Hard to tell, one of the reasons I'd prefer not to buy from overseas if possible.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tazzi » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 6:03 pm

I got a medium (prussian blue) in the boxing day sales from Bogong, but even back then it was hard to find in that size. The 2020 version only came out in March/April in the US so maybe if you wait a bit there will be more stocks around once shipping can get back to something approaching normal.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby woyapp1 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 8:59 pm

tazzi wrote:I got a medium (prussian blue) in the boxing day sales from Bogong, but even back then it was hard to find in that size. The 2020 version only came out in March/April in the US so maybe if you wait a bit there will be more stocks around once shipping can get back to something approaching normal.

Thank you, that's really helpful to know. I did a bit of searching but couldn't figure out when the latest version came out. I've got a while yet, so perhaps I'll wait a bit and see how I go.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rsawyer » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:23 pm

rsawyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp1 » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:48 pm

tazzi wrote:I got a medium (prussian blue) in the boxing day sales from Bogong, but even back then it was hard to find in that size. The 2020 version only came out in March/April in the US so maybe if you wait a bit there will be more stocks around once shipping can get back to something approaching normal.

I may as well ask how you've found the jacket? Have you worn it on any trips where you've had decent rain?
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tazzi » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 7:26 am

woyapp1 wrote:
I may as well ask how you've found the jacket? Have you worn it on any trips where you've had decent rain?

I have only used it in showers and without a backpack so far. On those occasions the pit zips worked well for venting and I loved the 2 way front zip. I agonised over sizing but finally went for medium and am happg I did. It fits me well with room for layering without feeling too big - I am 160cm and 60kg.

Some of the reviews I looked at before purchasing complained about the jacket not being waterproof in heavy rain. The US site lists a change in the new version relating to waterproofing so this may be another reason to wait.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Eremophila » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:01 pm

I recently bought the Macpac Copland jacket. Whilst this is a different fabric from the Resolution, it’s still one of Macpac’s own fabrics.
Early indications are that the jacket may not actually be waterproof at all. I’ll be testing further at the earliest opportunity, but my gut feeling is that I’ll be returning this jacket.
Definitely do some field testing before your trip!
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 1:26 pm

woyapp1 wrote:

.....so would expect a L in women's to be around a 14 and XL a 16.

You were spot on! Postie has just been.
Just had two women's garments delivered in size 16. Same sizing to the equivalent item in Mens Large -plus just a wee bit extra.
Nicer features than the equivalent sized Mens model so I'm keeping one of them. Going on colour of course. A sweet blue.
Wish they did a 18 -then I would swap it. I think this will stretch a wee bit then I'll be right though.
Thanks.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 9:57 pm

I recently got a Arc'teryx Beta SL Hybrid on sale, which is one of the top recommended picks by PCT hikers.

You can find some on ebay here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fro ... d&_sacat=0

It's relatively lightweight, has pit zips, and is hybrid with Gore-Tex Paclite Plus - which has breathability, windproofness, waterproofness and is lightweight and comfortable on the skin. And good reviews - https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... rid-womens

The only "con" as I can see it is that the fabric wouldn't be as durable for bushwhacking. For OT though I think it would be really good. (And I've hiked the OT myself 2 years back)
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 6:59 am

Lamont wrote:
woyapp1 wrote:

.....so would expect a L in women's to be around a 14 and XL a 16.

You were spot on! Postie has just been.
Just had two women's garments delivered in size 16. Same sizing to the equivalent item in Mens Large -plus just a wee bit extra.
Nicer features than the equivalent sized Mens model so I'm keeping one of them. Going on colour of course. A sweet blue.
Wish they did a 18 -then I would swap it. I think this will stretch a wee bit then I'll be right though.
Thanks.

Great, sounds like it worked out then!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:02 am

emma_melbourne wrote:I recently got a Arc'teryx Beta SL Hybrid on sale, which is one of the top recommended picks by PCT hikers.

You can find some on ebay here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fro ... d&_sacat=0

It's relatively lightweight, has pit zips, and is hybrid with Gore-Tex Paclite Plus - which has breathability, windproofness, waterproofness and is lightweight and comfortable on the skin. And good reviews - https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... rid-womens

The only "con" as I can see it is that the fabric wouldn't be as durable for bushwhacking. For OT though I think it would be really good. (And I've hiked the OT myself 2 years back)

Thanks, I'll look into these too. I'd bee keen to know how it holds up in rain, so if you happen to wear it in a shower, feel free to come back and update! I may not be purchasing a jacket for a little while yet.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:47 am

Arc'teryx is top class gear. Very expensive, but.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby woyapp1 » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 10:45 am

north-north-west wrote:Arc'teryx is top class gear. Very expensive, but.

Yes, I generally like Arcteryx gear, but this one (on those ebay links at least) is cheaper than the OR Aspire that is the other top contender!
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 11:49 am

For what it's worth I would think about buying from an Australian vendor. The only reason being that with the newer WR technologies over the last decade or so, I am hearing more and more of jackets wetting from the outside after minimal wear. Arcteryx as well.
Especially if you have more use planned for the jacket. They are all excellent new. Hit a bit of foliage over and over on the arms/body-that's a better test. Especially on the cuffs/forearms I find. Forget the shower test. If you only intend the one use almost anything will probably work.
If it's a dud at least you have some chance to strike up a case with the local rep. I have done it twice and been refunded both times. Maybe do as Pete (Montbell seems to be mentioned a bit as being good lasting WR stuff as does Rab) did -find what you want and see if a local will do a deal. I've rarely been knocked back from an online seller for at least 10%. Don't ask-don't get.
And for what it's worth forget the male/female tag. You might be excluding half your options.Especially as you helped me confirm the sizing equivalency! Ta.
If it fits your intended purpose is all that matters.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby woyapp1 » Sat 08 Aug, 2020 7:10 am

Lamont wrote:For what it's worth I would think about buying from an Australian vendor. The only reason being that with the newer WR technologies over the last decade or so, I am hearing more and more of jackets wetting from the outside after minimal wear. Arcteryx as well.
Especially if you have more use planned for the jacket. They are all excellent new. Hit a bit of foliage over and over on the arms/body-that's a better test. Especially on the cuffs/forearms I find. Forget the shower test. If you only intend the one use almost anything will probably work.
If it's a dud at least you have some chance to strike up a case with the local rep. I have done it twice and been refunded both times. Maybe do as Pete (Montbell seems to be mentioned a bit as being good lasting WR stuff as does Rab) did -find what you want and see if a local will do a deal. I've rarely been knocked back from an online seller for at least 10%. Don't ask-don't get.
And for what it's worth forget the male/female tag. You might be excluding half your options.Especially as you helped me confirm the sizing equivalency! Ta.
If it fits your intended purpose is all that matters.

Yes, not worrying about male/female is a good point! As are your other points.
I'm looking at buying the OR Aspire from Bogong, so if I end up going with that, it's Australian vendor.

Edit: Oh! I just looked and Bogong have their new OR stock in, so it looks like I'm getting the Aspire.
woyapp1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment