What’s your ultimate sleeping bag?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: What’s your ultimate sleeping bag?

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 5:24 pm

Mine was red. When I bought mine they were only red in the warmer bags but the stitched through liner bags were either red or blue. I never understood why the company went out of business, after all their biggest customer was the Swiss Army.
Is yours the double layer Expedition or the Deluxe? the Deluxe was warmer but the Expedition was so light and I didn't understand overbags properly then. Even using the largest bag they made in that series I couldn't add the liner or worn a down suit inside it, there just wasn't room
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby commando » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 8:12 pm

Unable to determine what specific model it is, goose down orange mummy ... photo attached
The coldest it has been used to was minus -8 c inside the Mount Cook YHA they used to keep the windows
open in case of liability for fire escape issues. its probably the only time i only had my mouth only exposed.
Roger Egger was the owner.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Al M » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 1:53 am

OP has already defined what their requirements for ultimate sleeping bag are so here it is again....

“Some things I require from a bag:
-0 degree or just below for a solid 3 season use.
-lighter the better with good compression
-not too restrictive like a S2S Spark”

Extreme conditions or experiences are less relevant and they are not after much. Just an obtainable, simple, effective and efficient bag will do for average conditions. A roomy bag is fine but too much voids can be less warm itself going against bag efficiency when it counts in lower temperatures.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby commando » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 2:56 pm

Big W $25
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby commando » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 2:57 pm

Big W $25
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 12:42 pm

Al M wrote:OP has already defined what their requirements for ultimate sleeping bag are so here it is again....

“Some things I require from a bag:
-0 degree or just below for a solid 3 season use.
-lighter the better with good compression
-not too restrictive like a S2S Spark”

Extreme conditions or experiences are less relevant and they are not after much. Just an obtainable, simple, effective and efficient bag will do for average conditions. A roomy bag is fine but too much voids can be less warm itself going against bag efficiency when it counts in lower temperatures.

Yeah That is their ultimate sleeping bag perhaps but not the question asked in the heading.
I did answer the OPs question in my first post, after that I answered the post question in its intent.
But face it, there really is no ultimate anything, and especially sleeping systems as the technology of fabric is constantly improving.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:38 pm

An ultimate sleeping bag would have a built-in mattress, pillow, thermostat, spacestation style toilet facility to prevent getting up during the night and a timer to set for when it serves you coffee and toast in the morning! At around 500g excluding the toast.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 4:01 pm

Neo wrote:An ultimate sleeping bag would have a built-in mattress, pillow, thermostat, spacestation style toilet facility to prevent getting up during the night and a timer to set for when it serves you coffee and toast in the morning! At around 500g excluding the toast.

I'd be willing to go at least 2 kilos if it did all that because I drink coffee by the litre and waters heavy
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 4:44 pm

Neo wrote:An ultimate sleeping bag would have a built-in mattress, pillow, thermostat, spacestation style toilet facility to prevent getting up during the night and a timer to set for when it serves you coffee and toast in the morning! At around 500g excluding the toast.

You forgot the 'Beam me up, Scotty' button.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 4:47 pm

Yes I like Jim Beam in my morning coffee
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wallwombat » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 8:44 pm

I have a Marmot Hydrogen which is about 665 grams and rated to -1 c . I'm very happy with it.

I'm a warm sleeper and, like the original poster, I tend to supplement with clothes rather than take a warmer, heavier bag.

I must admit, though, If weight isn't an issue, I like using my old Mountain Designs Dedos, made in water resistant Epic material. It's 1.1 kg and was originally rated to -5 c . That was pretty light in 2005. I normally use it like a quilt.

If I was rich, I'd probably get a Western Mountaineering bag. They look awesome.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 9:36 pm

Ultimate bag is one that anyone is happy with and ticks the boxes of the question asked and a pee and butt flap so no need to get out of it and loose all that body heat.

My current ultimate bags for 0 C use are Western Mountaineering Summerlite 550g and Under cling Mike -2 C quilt 470g.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Previous

Return to Equipment