What’s your ultimate sleeping bag?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What’s your ultimate sleeping bag?

Postby PedalRoll » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 11:37 pm

I’m in the market for a new bag and would like some thoughts on possible options.

Some things I require from a bag:
-0 degree or just below for a solid 3 season use.
-lighter the better with good compression
-not too restrictive like a S2S Spark
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: What’s your ultimate sleeping bag?

Postby Casparvitch » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 11:41 pm

Have you considered underclingmike's quilts? (Check the market section of this forum)
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 12:04 am

Lots of excellent bags out there, what are the main requirements re comfort. Are you a side sleeper or lay flat on your back all nite and will you sleep in just a base layer or do you plan to use clothing as part of the sleep system?
The Feathered Friends Vireo comes to mind as part of a LW system and the Nunatak Alpinist as a standalone bag that could be the base of a deep cold system but also if you can stand a side zipper a Western Mountaineering Caribou is a generously sized bag that comes close to 0C [ 2/3 C rated] that is easily boosted by wearing a little extra clothing inside it. More than one way of reaching the target
PHD are overpriced ATM but a bag from their UL range is really UL, my advice can't be trusted tho due to my size I've not tried too many UL bags
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PedalRoll » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 7:54 am

I’m a side sleeper who generally moves around a bunch.

I use clothing now to supplement temp ratings.
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 8:22 am

I'm a side and stomach sleeper who moves around a lot at night. Got a underclingmike quilt in wide and been sleeping soundly and toasty warm ever since. -1Oc for only 730 grams.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 9:42 am

Do you mean bag exclusively? Given you haven't quashed the quilt suggestions. What's your budget? You sound also like you are looking at about 250-350 gms or so of 850 Euro fp.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 11:19 am

I'm pretty happy with my underling mike bag.
I already had an EE Enigma so I got Mike to make me a full zip quilt with drawstring foot.

10 denier shell/inner, drawstring foot, 560g of 900 loft goose down.

Best bag I have ever had.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tino B » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 12:00 pm

I can recommend Katabatic Gear Flex 30F quilt accurately rated to -1C. I have 900FP option, which weighs 600g. Very flexible as it opens as a quilt for warm conditions and cinches up for the cold. I’ve used it down to -8C with a mid weight puffy and light down pants.

I always wear thermals. Patagonia Capeline for warmer conditions, 150 weight merino for colder.

I have a WM Alpinlite that is too warm unless it’s below zero. WM bags are superbly made and designed, and like many of the brands recommended by others, are true to their ratings. I have various bits of S2S kit but don’t rate their bags very highly - you would do better with Mike’d quilts. One Planet or Mont if you want an Aussie owned manufacturers bag.

Moondog has made a good recommendation with Feathered Friends - Vireo is pretty niche model though.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 12:28 pm

Threshold question is quilt or bag. All of the above suggestions are good, for bag can't go wrong with FF or WM (I also have an alpinlite, brilliant bag)... for quilt Katabatic, EE or one of Mike's (the latter is certainly the best value, i have one of those too, also brilliant)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turfa » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 1:20 pm

Another vote here for UC Mike's quilts. Hits all your requirements. I too am a restless side/stomach sleeper and I would really struggle going back to a sleeping bag after using a quilt, and Mike's are beautifully designed and made.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby PedalRoll » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 2:03 pm

Lamont wrote:Do you mean bag exclusively? Given you haven't quashed the quilt suggestions. What's your budget? You sound also like you are looking at about 250-350 gms or so of 850 Euro fp.

Sorry.

Currently using a quilt and really like it for warmer temps but I do miss that snug feeling of a bag when cowboy camping.

Budget being around $500 max.

I like Aussie so have been eying the Mont 450 or a couple others and also a couple of Marmots options.
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby PedalRoll » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 3:00 pm

The One Planet Nitrous -3 looks to be the goods. Anyone have experience with one? Any similar options in same weight and warmth at the same price?
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 4:44 pm

Has anyone used the One Planet system bags where they have summer bags and also an inner bag available that clips into make it a winter bag. Gimmick or ?

The inner bag is called a Quest

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sl ... own/quest/
CraigVIC

Postby Casparvitch » Wed 08 Jul, 2020 6:35 pm

I have an OP Cocoon -8, thinking about getting a Quest for the winter months. I love it, quality etc. is very high.

Like PedalRoll I need that snug feeling. That's actually my only problem with the bag, it's too spacious on the inside for me, especially for something called 'Cocoon' :lol: . The lack of a proper neck on the bag to stop drafts has also been more of an issue than I expected but easily solved with a woolen buff.

It has been good when sleeping in a puffy, and with a Quest inside I expect it'll be perfect. I'd second the Nitrous recommendation.
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tino B » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 12:27 am

I have the lightest Quest, sewn through model, for summer when need for a quilt is marginal. It’s quite narrow, a little fussy with the straps compared to Katabatic, and of course finish is nowhere near that of my other quilts/bags. But, it is very light, packs down to nothing and is surprisingly warm. It’s ideal to put in a day pack with a Montbell sleeping bag cover as emergency kit. It clips in to certain One Planet bags, like PHD systems, and I imagine it would significantly boost warmth.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 9:15 am

Interesting. Hi-jacking this thread a little but it seems like it potentially could be flexible and economical compared to separate temperature bags.
CraigVIC

Postby Zaeed » Fri 10 Jul, 2020 10:03 am

+1 for quilt

I'm a restless side sleeper and have a quilt by TierGear in Tassie, it's a game changer.

One of the brilliance's of a quilt is you can adjust it to suit the conditions, so if it's cold, close up the foot box and tuck it in close. If its warm use it like a throw rug and stick a leg out. They're amazing.
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Al M » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 3:42 pm

Depends on what type of sleeper you are whether cold or warm, side or back, restless mover.

Cold sleeper, usually females, need another 2 to 5 C warmth rating.

Factor in that a liner will add another 3-4 C warmth.

I’m a warm sleeper so have found a down fill 0 to -2 C bag with liner to be most ideal for Australia winter low altitude and typical overseas hikes in same conditions at around 550-650g bag weight plus liner.

Quilts are less good with side and moving sleepers so extra width is needed. I have Under cling Mikes -2 C quilt and it is excellent, though if buying again would ask for little wider as the sides poke out.

I also have highly recommended and reviewed Western Mountaineering USA 0 and -2C bags that are excellent and very light weight on par with the quilt. Would like to get a warmer -8 to -12 C WM bag for colder conditions like snow at about 700-800g bag weight. A quilt would not do for me in those colder conditions.

Try and get a bag or quilt that maximises internal fill ratio vs out fabric thickness and weight for warmth to weight ratio, which means thin fabric to keep weight down unless you need moisture resistance.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 11:09 pm

My ultimate sleeping bag would really be a system.
A Nunatak Arc Alpinist -8C plus overfill cut long and wide and the matching but unotanium Arc Alpinist APEX overbag using the 150GSM fill, but I'm talking about a bag system for -40C
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 8:08 am

I'm thinking about shifting to a dual system. Trying it at least. The WM Highlite with one of Mike's quilts. Bags are warmer because you have the integral hood, but I don't need a massive big boofy hood most of the time, so those two together should do me for all the Tassie stuff, and still not be too bulky or heavy.
Also gives me space to get the ApII reconditioned, as it's desperately in need of a wash and this is not the time of year for drying down in Tas.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 11:39 am

it's wet and soggy in Tassie during the cooler months so why not one of Evans syntheitc quilts as the top layer. The TerraRosa quilt using 100GSM APEX is rated to 5C and weighs ~550g, that's not bad for a twenty degree boost in the lower temperture capability and is reasonably priced at $310-
One of the reasons i like Evans work is his use of scraps to make his shells with and the fact that you get a very individual item if you order the patchwork shell.
https://terrarosagear.com/collections/q ... t-2-season
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Al M » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 12:06 pm

Living in Perth with local winter hikes in the south with occasional 0 C conditions and travelled a lot to overseas hiking in Nepal and other 3-4 season places, being a warm sleeper, had a true comfort rated -9 C bag years ago that was never my go to bag mainly because it was always too warm. My preferred bags have always been about -2 to 0 C bag used with silk liner, in particular my WM Summerlite 0 C 510g and another discontinued WM -2 C model about 580g for colder conditions. The thinner and lighter fabrics in WM seem to offer a better fill to weight ratio than other average bags I have.

A current model WM or similar bag with horizontal baffles that you can shift the down fill top or below to vary temperature rated around -2 to 0 C may be the way to go. The traditional bags with hood have never been much use to me so choice of new bag would be without it to save weight or redistribute fill elsewhere.

Alternatively, Undercling Mike customised bag or quilt with light fabric, highest fill quality plus 50g more fill, add a collar, and additional width may be the way to go to maximise warmth to weight ratio, staying below 600g and have everything you want.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 4:39 pm

Moondog55 wrote:it's wet and soggy in Tassie during the cooler months so why not one of Evans syntheitc quilts as the top layer. The TerraRosa quilt using 100GSM APEX is rated to 5C and weighs ~550g, that's not bad for a twenty degree boost in the lower temperture capability and is reasonably priced at $310-

I think Simon also does a synthetic quilt, although my prejudice is for down as it's generally lighter and less bulky at an equivalent warmth.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 4:48 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:it's wet and soggy in Tassie during the cooler months so why not one of Evans syntheitc quilts as the top layer. The TerraRosa quilt using 100GSM APEX is rated to 5C and weighs ~550g, that's not bad for a twenty degree boost in the lower temperture capability and is reasonably priced at $310-

I think Simon also does a synthetic quilt, although my prejudice is for down as it's generally lighter and less bulky at an equivalent warmth.

I totally agree but if it's very high humidity or wetter than wet or below -30C synthetics have the edge for overbags.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 4:51 pm

Its not always which brand is important but what style, what filling, what weight, what fabric and where its made...
So the Ultimate warmth sleeping bag is a goose down, mummy shape, rip stop nylon, mountaineering bag made in
Switzerland or Italy for winter, there are many choices for anything else not requiring extreme cold for use other
in the mountains.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 7:14 pm

Some people seem to have some extraordinary situational experiences, fixations and body temperature regulation issues like condensation, hike in conditions that many rarely do, over heating or can never get warm no matter what or cost no object equipment values so their requirements can skew things a lot for others with more “normal” requirements and where one may spend hiking most of their time.

It’s no use having too warm a bag that isn’t flexible enough or can’t be regulated (shift down from top to bottom) to deal with one or two extreme events in 10 years of ownership, when 98% of the time it’s easy 2-7 C Southern Aust conditions and the extreme events that can be dealt with by simply wearing more clothing inside the bag.

One other consideration between down vs synthetic fill is if one tends to use bag liners with down fill bags with an additional 100-500g penalty where as synth fill is preferred but weighs more so overall about equal. If ones not worried about down and body oils gradually collapsing it and shorter lifespan then there is no additional weight issue and just clean the bag more often. If compressed volume is not an issue for one using synth fill that’s fine. But when hiking compressed volume it is usually an issue to increase pack space to carry food and increase efficiency, so it’s self explanatory really - down fill still has the advantage still most times.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:47 am

Most of the members here would have twp or more sleeping bags, although at the moment i only have a winter specific system I am looking to buy something for summer and shoulder use. But Al here in Victoria there are more than a few people who ski tour and for us we need systems capable of coping with the cold extremes and I personally have experienced -20C here once in winter.
I have said this before, if you decide to go the UL route and use clothing to sleep in the bag needs to be big enough to allow that. This is counter to most UL sleeping bags that are cut slim to be lighter and need less down. Now for the extremes at the lower end of the scale being able to move down around isn't a benefit and you need the extra control of side block baffles, now for every inch/25mm of insulation worn inside the bag you need to add 4 inches/100mm to the inside girth
So while your 2 to 7C rating might be OK for the shoulder seasons it isn't applicable to snow camping and ski touring. This is why some people use or are contemplating using a double bag and / or and overbag system so they can use the LW summer sleeping bag in winter/snow so they don't need to buy a specialist winter bag. But thie thread was about a persons "ultimate sleeping bag" and not what was most practicle for general useage so there should be los of room for thought experimentation and "what ifs"
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:27 pm

If you see a sleeping bag for sale with this label just buy it...
Chris Bonington took them to Everest south west face.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 2:47 pm

Worst mistake I have ever made is getting rid of my Egge Eskimo Expedition bag even if it was too small for me.
Best sleeping bags ever made in my experience, ditto for parkas and suits
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:50 pm

Was it orange coloured? I still have one of those as well, definitely the warmest bag ever made
but i have been through 3 zippers the last one broke on night one of the Overland Trail in Waterfalls
Valley hut.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment