Aarn input and experiences please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Aarn input and experiences please

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 7:44 pm

Donuts
Chips
Wedges with extra sour cream and taco seasoning
Should I go on?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 8:04 pm

Moondog, I imagining you signing that to the tune of 'My Favourite Things' ala Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music :P
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 8:08 pm

I've gained 10kg this virus, still have boney hips!
MsMudd I could send you my exped 60 that's up for sale. Test it out first.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rai » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 8:09 pm

Aarns brainstrust- I am still not entirely in love with my Aarn, have used it 6 times now for a total of 11 days walking. Used the Sports Short pockets 4 times, loaded up with more weight to get the benefit from the principle behind the design. Heaviest total pack weight was this weekend gone at 15kg total as I was walking with kiddos and carrying all of our food and extra gear.
Watched all the available Youtube vids- multiple times- loaded, tweaked, unloaded, tweaked, loaded etc etc . It feels okay on, but not insanely different than having all the weight on my back though,so a bit underwhelming, but just okay. Perhaps I was too ambitious in my hopes for how different loading up in front would feel ?

It is the afterwards of a walk that I notice the fit was less than ideal which makes it hard to adjust for pre-walk as it is not obvious and for all intents and purposes it is fitted as per instructions.
I get sore spots -shifting depending on what adjustments I have made- on my hips. I have tried to fit my iliac crest in the soft spot on the hip belt, tried every adjustment imaginable, yet today I find myself with yet another pressure injury after a very short distance walked over the weekend. This time on the lower right hip. This has never happened with any of my Osprey AG harness packs and it is frustrating the heck out of me.

Is the pack just not for me or is there some other magical tweak that will have me singing with joy?

I experienced something similar recently on one of my new aarn packs. Had to bail out of a walk after one night because of sore hips. In my case I think I know where the problem lies. First, the weight of the balance pockets should be spread evenly on the slope of the hips and not on a point. This is easily fixed by having the upper strap of the waist belt tighter than the lower strap so that the the waist belt is lying flat on the body. Second (and this was the problem for me), if the lowest part of the balance pocket metal frame hangs below the level of the waist belt, the belt gets pulled downwards and creates sore spots. In my troublesome pack, I think the shoulder harness is too big so the balance packets hang from a point which is quite low. I am currently waiting for the local store to get a small sized harness so I can 'raise' the balance pockets. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Btw, my other two packs - effortless rhythm and mountain magic 42 - work exceptionally well for me.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 9:10 pm

Neo wrote:I've gained 10kg this virus, still have boney hips!
MsMudd I could send you my exped 60 that's up for sale. Test it out first.

Damn, I shall stop throwing the donuts and wedges and all the yummy things Moondog mentioned in the deep fryer now then.

That is a very generous offer Neo, I am reliable and trustworthy. Slightly dodgy, but in an 'off' sense of humour way rather than a scammer or Nigerian Prince in disguise. I shall do some researchy mcresearch stuff about the pack you have and get back to you, does it come with a free deep fryer?
I will say that it is my favourite colour and is a bit scruffy looking- which I value. Although I seldom see others when I am out and about, there is something 'uncool' in going out in the bush in a sparkly new pack like you just walked out of the shop
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 10:18 pm

It just needs a bath, I should do that.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 7:17 am

I wouldn't wash it Neo, adds character and stops whoever gets it looking like they just stepped out of a store :wink:

I woke up today thinking I will most likely sell the Aarn on. I have never had sore points from a pack before, it clearly does not suit my body type. It has been a colossal cost, but that's how things roll in rural areas, you cannot try before you buy and now I know the system is not for me.

My two options would be, invest in one pack to do it all. Something that can be cinched down to carry the mostly lighter loads I carry, but with substantial enough frame and harness to deal with the heavier carries that I sometimes do in Winter and when my younger two kids are with me, thoughts would be ULA ?Circuit, Dunno what else at this point
Or
Two packs. Invest in something second hand to keep costs down that is more robustly framed for heavier carries and then something a bit more minimalist for the lighter multiday loads when solo or the Winter day walks where I need a bit of extra space than a daypack offers. Thoughts on this would be Drop Durston 40lt, 3FUL etc.

Anyway, just thoughts. If I did sell the Aarn before buying another pack, I have my daughters 50lt Osprey Renn I can use in the meantime.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 8:35 am

Call the shop you bought it from, or BPL in Melbourne; talk about the issue you are having before you make a decision to pass it on at a loss. I only know 2 people who own and use Aarn packs and that couple find them excellent.
Sim1oz hasn't posted here for a long while tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 7:13 pm

Sounds smart Moondog to hang onto it for a bit. My husband agrees with you - he reckons hang onto it just in case it ends up better than what I buy next.
I intend to buy something else though and soon. The Aarn too fiddly for me by a long shot. I am done with it.

Walked for 6.5hours today. Took it against better judfement to see if I could indeed pad out between the wretched metal stay in the hip belt and the bony prominence of my hip.
I didnt like it and as my hip was still tender from wearing it last week I had to Mcgyver a solution on the fly-creating a knock on injury elsewhere. In avoiding pressure points on hips have made metal stay mark on my abdo (right side) and have bilateral rubbed clavicles- I took photos of the rub areas- I know why those injuries happened, I caused them.
I did it by adjusting hipbelt and affecting balance pocket location on my front, but just couldn't stand the pressure on my hips any longer so had to do it for some respite after the first 15km.

I know I am most likely the only person ever not to love their Aarn, but never mind. The metal stay in the hip belt is a total deal breaker for me.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 7:34 pm

Bummer it won't work for you.

What is your base weight? Maybe two versions for two types of trips, being solo or a heavier family jaunt?
This can help with choosing a backpack. ie the lighter the base weight the lighter the pack can be, also design.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 8:30 am

This is where I out myself as a lazy packer- I never itemise things on lighterpack anymore. My 12yo daughter loves using it though and can tell you the weight of her school camp bag last year or her school bag of a Tuesday when she has Maths and needs her bigger text :lol:

I usually just get the luggage scales out once everything (incl food and water- absolutely everything) is loaded, hook it to whatever it is all packed in and see what I am looking at, total.

Typically for 3+ days incl the whole shebang is 10-11kg at the absolute most. That would include the weight of the various packs I have used (Montane Grand Tour 55, Osprey Aura 65, Low Alpine Cholatse, Macpac Esprit 65) which are no lightweights themselves.

The heaviest I get would be the following two scenarios:

My heavy *&%$#! Winter haul with over the top redundancies, food and 2lt water was 13.5kg which was inclusive of the Aarn pack and Short Sport Balance pockets.

The other weekend with the kids,still Winter but on the coast, it was as heavy as 15.5kg, same pack set up. However, that was ridiculous as I let them pack indulgent amounts of food, activities etc. Last year I did carry 21kg in my Osprey Aura on a trip with them, but I have since invested in some second hand, lighter gear for them and they have started to carry a wee bit more. Also, used the 3fUL pyramid and it shaved 2.2 (!)kg off the weight of the shelter we had been using on family trips.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 9:55 am

have you considered something like this Canopy https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/canopy/ it might do the trick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
How to easily fit one of their packs. It works.
Have used it myself having owned two of their rucksacks.
At 1.4 kgs (still a tad lighter than something like a ULA Catalyst). The harness is very well (over) built for 10-15 kgs. These harnesses will carry the 15 kgs no issue. I would reckon carry comfortably more.
Does have compression straps top and bottom for squashing smaller loads.
Lots of sizes and fits etc. I know of lots of school kids of varying shapes and sizes always seem to be able to get an OP sack to fit. Really adjustable.
Slightly lighter than ULA Catalyst, about $100 cheaper and slightly larger internal capacity.
I reckon you could do a lot worse as a work horse if you are constantly carrying around the 10-15 kg range. If that's what you are after.
No affiliation with One Planet.
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:00 am

Lamont wrote:have you considered something like this Canopy https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/canopy/ it might do the trick?
At 1.4 kgs (still a tad lighter than something like a ULA Catalyst).

A small Catalyst is 1.35kg. And can carry more weight.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lamont » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:12 am

Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:22 am

north-north-west wrote:
Lamont wrote:have you considered something like this Canopy https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/canopy/ it might do the trick?
At 1.4 kgs (still a tad lighter than something like a ULA Catalyst).

A small Catalyst is 1.35kg. And can carry more weight.

Yeah interesting I reckon they would end up much the same weight for like size models.
As to the comfy carrying capacity 'side by side' would you rate the Catalyst as better at say 15-16 kgs?
Again no affiliation with either just asking.
Just thinking with the OP harness and my experience of them (none with ULA) that they always underestimate the 'comfortable carry weight'.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:34 am

In my researching and head scratching the ULA Catalyst (EDITED TO ADD: ULA CIRCUIT- that was what I meant to say) continues to kick goals for my needs, only concern that has cropped up in my reading is some users reporting back chafe in hot weather. Back burn is an issue that is holding me back from going that way right now, I do walk when it is hot as I get restless physically and mentally if I don't get 'out there' all year round.

Shall look at the OP suggestion Lamont. Something new to ad to my list of considerations, am having a day of uni work at home today, so far am only studying pack options though.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:57 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I am having a day of uni work at home today, so far am only studying pack options though.

:lol:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 11:12 am

Looks like the OP Canopy is a renaming of their Overshadow, which is what I use. It's certainly a great pack for my needs, but of course everybody's body is different and has different fits/issues. I've had no experience with Aarn Packs, so can't compare. However, with my loads being significantly lighter than they used to be, I'm not as interested in the balance option as I might have been several years ago. (And I'm not even a light-weight walker.)

Slightly unrelated rant...

Still blows my mind that One Planet seem to be the only back packs in the known universe that actually have bottle-shaped pockets*. Most other packs have flat pockets that are very difficult to cram bottles into when the pack is full, or pockets that are too short to fit a 1 litre bottle fully into, or are wider at the top than at the bottom meaning bottles are more likely to get squeezed or wobbled out. Perhaps the other brands' pockets are not actually designed for bottles, but that's what many people use them for. Just look at the ULA Circuit pockets loaded with bottles in their own promotional pictures at https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/circuit/ (see the second and third picture). The bottles look like they're about to fall out even without moving the pack.

With One Planet "hydration pockets", I can stow and extract my water bottles while walking without taking the pack off or asking somebody else for help, and without worring about them falling out**. This seems like a fairly simple thing, but I don't see people with other packs able to do this.

Maybe I'm in the minority in still preferring bottles, and most other people have moved on to bladders.

* I fully expect (and hope!) some replies to point out how wrong I am and that there are actually proper bottle pockets on other brands.

** There is potential for bottles to fall out of OP pockets while scrub bashing or while stowing the pack upside down in a pack raft. In these two cases, I use small carabiner type clips to hold them in and can still stow/retrieve them by myself with pack on.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 11:38 am

I get the rants on pack features Son of a Beach, absolutely. Oh no, you just pointed out something I hadn't given much thought to, but clearly have my own rantiness about. I will notice it all the more now that you have mentioned it and will be saying swear words about it when out walking from now on. :lol Bottle pockets irritation, yes, I hear you.
I don't like the Aarn bottle pockets, when main pack is loaded, the bottles are hard to get in and out as you have to slip them past a firmer fabric strip that covers the mesh. It is secure if you don't want to ever access the bottles though, which of course defeats the purpose of bottle pockets. I also don't like the Osprey side pockets with a 'side holster' access as I find a bottle in that position gets in the way of arm action and then the side opening means you can't use the pockets for smaller items as they could come out. Glad to hear that OP seems to get the pocket thing right though.
One little flaw can really irritate when out and about.

Ideally I think I don't want to be totally enamored with my pack,I shouldn't need to be singing the praises of any one feature- I just want to simply be oblivious to it. Oblivious, as in the whole set up just works without me having to think about it at all.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 11:54 am

P.S. It is clear from my high activity on the forum this morning that very little studying is happening. I am listening to a lecture on my headphones as I type though. Surely that counts?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 12:18 pm

Pictures
If you have time to post you have time to take photographs
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 12:42 pm

Haha indeed.
I have wrestled and distracted my goats long enough while lunch cooked to put the Aarn away in my gear shed. Before I did, unloaded its contents into daughters Osprey Renn 50lt and with a quick torso adjustment found it to feel comfortable enough with the same load. Clearly not a 21km walk with 1000m ascent/descent each way like yesterday, but messing about filled in 20 minutes where I could have been reading about neurotransmitters.

I did snap some pics of the Aarn from Monday though after it came down from the shed and I was packing it for yesterdays walk. Will transfer them from my phone now and upload. Thanks for keeping me company forum posters, useful for my pack dilemmas and entertaining me ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 1:00 pm

Still downloading pics, my pics from Monday are rubbish though! The pic in the purple top is from last weekend with Sports Short pockets. Interestingly enough, as oposed to everyone else who loves having their stuff up front and accessible, I don't love how 'bitsy piecy' the storage is when using the pockets, there is stuff everywhere and harder to ensure nothing is lost. The crocheted thing is not a pot cosy btw, it is a foldable frisbee- I told you that I indulged the kids last week :wink:

Blue jumper pic from Monday, getting ready for yesterdays walk. Had altered hip belts so they stay was off the point where it had hurt me the weekend before, so less of a gap between the compact pockets. I had to adjust more again as mentioned when after 15km that spot on my hips was also in agony.
Attachments
20200801_121820.jpg
20200801_121820.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 16361 times
20200810_164539.jpg
Monday pics
20200810_164539.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 16361 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 1:47 pm

Dratted hip belt stay/pressure soreness area
Attachments
20200810_164721.jpg
20200810_164721.jpg (136.82 KiB) Viewed 16349 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 3:50 pm

Ms_Mudd, I'm sorry to read about your Aarn issues. Have you thought about sending your pics (and a summary of your problem) to Aarn in NZ?

I don't understand the particulars of the problem, but if anyone could, I'm sure Aarn could. Whether he could fix it is impossible to know, but it seems worth a try.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 5:11 pm

That hipbelt looks a little large, can it be adjusted to be smaller?
EDIT
Also is the top of the hip belt really sitting on the iliac crest? It looks to be sitting much higher than that
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 6:06 pm

Moondog55 wrote:That hipbelt looks a little large, can it be adjusted to be smaller?
EDIT
Also is the top of the hip belt really sitting on the iliac crest? It looks to be sitting much higher than that

Fitted as per Aarn, at about 4:35
It is a small sized hip belt.
The lengthening or shortening of the hip belt still leaves that awful metal stay on my hips, no way to avoid contact.

I did reach out to Aarn and he suggested the 'quadruple buckle' hip belt that is not available in Australia would solve the issue, he said that has solved the problem for slight women in the past as it moves the metal stay right into the middle, near your umbi and takes that strip of metal off of the hips.
The stay shaped broken blood vessels I have on my abdo from McGyvering this solution myself yesterday does not leave me keen to even put the pack on again though honestly. A strip of metal running vertically in a hip belt is not going to be my friend wherever it sits on my hips or tummy. I shall admit I am the oddity here, I just don't like the Aarn system, it isn't for me at all.
Aarn did say though to tell anyone else who is having the problem to contact him about that hip belt so one could be sent as a replacement which is good customer service. So anyone with the homemade padding or belts to mitigate the problem could be sent the different hip belt set up.

Backpacking Light have been amazing, troubleshooting over the phone and getting in touch with me to check in, I highly recommend their service, really decent people.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 6:33 pm

OK one thing for sure, in those images, the belt is too high. It should wrap around the iliac crest, not sit on it. The top of the belt is supposed to be above the top of the bone, the bottom of the belt below.
Properly positioned, you may still have issues - all bodies are different, and there is no one pack that will work for everyone.
Interesting news about the "other" belt/buckle system. Wonder why they don't sell it here. And why do they not do an XS belt? I'm not the only person for whom the S belt is marginal.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 6:47 pm

It was higher than previous use for sure, I had hoped that would get it off my sore hip a bit. Flawed logic. It worked- for the first 15km until I just made a new sore spot... :lol:

I would contact Aarn, NNW, while it is fresh on his mind and ask him to send you the quadruple buckle hip belt (edited to add it is the QUADRO buckle hip belt, I just re-read Aarns email). He did tell me to tell anyone I knew who was having a similar issue/ needing to pad it out to do so in order for him to fix it. Would be interested to see what you think in comparison to the standard hip belt.

I have no hard feelings re: the Aarn system, it is just not for me. As you say NNW, not every pack is going to work for every body. I would never had known had I not tried.
Onward and upward and I am sure I will settle on something that does work.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 12 Aug, 2020 8:09 pm

Puzzled. Have never known a hip belt to have metal.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment