X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby sailfish » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 1:31 pm

north-north-west wrote:
sailfish wrote:Well, as stated initially on this, I have no problem pitching 90 degrees by eye myself, but I know that many people are spatially challenged and will never be able to acquire that skill. The capacity for developing skills is inborn or not. We all have our different capacities and weaknesses. Practice only works within the existing capacity.

Exactly. I'm far better at getting things square - which feeds into the OCD - than estimating distances. 6"? 10"? No chance unless carrying a ruler ... of course, one could have a bit of string of the appropriate length, or even just an extraneous knot at the right place in one of the guys ... hmmmm

I make it very clear in the video that only a very rough guess is needed to achieve an accurate pitch.
The angles involved greatly reduce the effect of any error with the estimate to the point of having no practical impact on the accuracy of the pitch. The method is specifically designed to allow the most spatially challenged people to quickly achieve a highly accurate rectangle 1st go in the field with no tool or marking out or need for accurate estimation or fine tuning. Even if you don't use an estimate at all you still end up with a reasonably good result but making any genuine attempt at the estimate is an improvement. Nobody says anyone has to use my method. You pitch whatever way floats your boat, but I get plenty of positive and grateful comment for putting that video up. Maybe that indicates people are finding it very helpful. My video isn't monetized, I offer it free for anyone to use or not as they choose. So I ask again, what exactly is your agenda with your comments?

Ken
Last edited by sailfish on Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 1:46 pm

sailfish wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
sailfish wrote:Well, as stated initially on this, I have no problem pitching 90 degrees by eye myself, but I know that many people are spatially challenged and will never be able to acquire that skill. The capacity for developing skills is inborn or not. We all have our different capacities and weaknesses. Practice only works within the existing capacity.

Exactly. I'm far better at getting things square - which feeds into the OCD - than estimating distances. 6"? 10"? No chance unless carrying a ruler ... of course, one could have a bit of string of the appropriate length, or even just an extraneous knot at the right place in one of the guys ... hmmmm

I make it very clear in the video that only a very rough guess is needed to achieve an accurate pitch.
The angles involved greatly reduce the effect of any error with the estimate to the point of having no practical impact on the accuracy of the pitch. The method is specifically designed to allow the most spatially challenged people to quickly achieve a highly accurate rectangle 1st go in the field with no tool or marking out or need for accurate estimation or fine tuning. Even if you don't use an estimate at all you still end up with a reasonably good result but making any genuine attempt at the estimate is an improvement. Nobody says anyone has to use my method. You co go do it whatever way floats your boat, but I get plenty of positive and grateful comment for putting that video up. Maybe that indicates people are finding it very helpful. So I ask again, what exactly is your agenda with your comments?

Que???? I'm agreeing with you about the different things work for different people bit. You have a problem with that?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Zapruda » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:01 pm

sailfish wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
sailfish wrote:So I ask again, what exactly is your agenda with your comments?
Ken

Ken, you seem to be misinterpreting what people are writing. I don't believe anyone is implying anything against you or your video. People are just having a discussion about pitching, and frankly, no one owes you an explanation about their comments... Please play nicely.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 2:14 pm

A little off-topic but I need a LW tent I can stand up in. For dans next iteration I'd really like to see a Megamid sized version to fit 4 cold and wet skiers or climbers, or something even bigger than that. Say 2500 * 2500 and 1900 tall. A real need out there for a communal shelter for the white season users
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 9:29 am

Moondog55 wrote:A little off-topic but I need a LW tent I can stand up in. For dans next iteration I'd really like to see a Megamid sized version to fit 4 cold and wet skiers or climbers, or something even bigger than that. Say 2500 * 2500 and 1900 tall. A real need out there for a communal shelter for the white season users

I may just have bought a Megamid from Marketplace.... :roll: :lol: Going to use it instead of the 3FUl mid I bought for camping with the kids, as the Megamid is a bit roomier. How could I refuse when one became available 2nd hand? :oops: Had it been just a few weeks earlier, could have pounced on it instead of getting the other mid.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 10:30 am

Yeah You beat me to it. I was counting pennies and contemplating selling a kidney.
These Hoopster clones just came available on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304104 ... c62aUO9kyw
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 1:54 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
stry wrote:
I'm surprised at the discussion of pegging out a rectangle. Whatever one's judgement of angles may be, it must surely be easier to peg out a rectangle than some of the complex floor shapes available, even if some minor adjustment is needed to get it nice.

:

You would think it was easy and it looked okay to my wonky self, but the inner just was too close to the fly for my liking, can only think the geometry of my pitch was off- or perhaps the uneven sites exacerbated it? The 2x mornings I contacted the wall with my sleeping bag, I was on uneven ground and had tufts of grass etc in one of my vestibules, I was being stealthy so had selected those two sites that were very hidden, but not cleared or uniformly flat.

Uneven ground, particularly with lumps of whatever, has always been a bit challenging for me when using modern floored tents.

No such issues with my old Paddy made Era. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 2:41 pm

stry wrote:
Uneven ground, particularly with lumps of whatever, has always been a bit challenging for me when using modern floored tents.

No such issues with my old Paddy made Era. :D

Glad I am not the only one. Planning on using it again this week on more even terrain - but predicted gale force winds- so will be interesting to see how I go with the set up. I will definitely change out that lineloc before setting off though.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 5:13 pm

stry wrote:Uneven ground, particularly with lumps of whatever, has always been a bit challenging for me when using modern floored tents.

Lumpy ground is not so much of a problem with the single-skin tents that have a floating floor, such as the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, or the ZPacks Duplex.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 10:46 am

Well, turned out for another bumpitty pitch for me.
I was going to camp like a civilised person in a designated, flat campsite site. I however got the heebie jeebies from an umarked 4wd with two blokes in it that definitely should not have been behind the locked trail gates. I was close to where I had intended to stop and it was late in the day, so they definitely should not have been there. So bush I went for the night, tufts of grass, lumpy,divetty, slightly sloping ground, the works. It was a nice looking pitch and withstood the wind beautifully, even though I hadn't guyed it out. I should have snapped some pics, but all I got was this shot from inside, I was getting changed into sleep clothes while dinner rehydrated. Looks like a slack, messy pitch, but sat much nicer when the vestibule zip was all the way done.
I decided I will take the Xmid 1p from here on in if solo, I love it, it feels roomy inside and the smaller footprint better lends itself to squeezing into less optimal sites.
The 2p will be perfect for taking as legit 2person use though, it is a great tent, can't believe how lightweight it is and how huge inside, a bit magical how that it achieved really ;-)
Attachments
IMG_20200923_171635.jpg
IMG_20200923_171635.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 18948 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 4:30 pm

Helpful feed back MsMudd. One of my concerns with the 2P for my solo only use is the size of the footprint. Hopefully my experience doesn't confirm yours, particularly as I have 2P inbound.

Another issue for me in some areas with the 1P would be the tiny enclosed space of the inner in a leechy area. Having to cook, eat etc., and have one's gear spread around in, the vestibule(s) could make it difficult to avoid them. No leeches, no concerns. And 1P is tantalising lighter, and more compact when packed.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lseries92 » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 9:20 pm

I am taking a trip on the bike late next month and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on some of the non-walking pole solutions for the 1P discussed previously in this thread or others people would like to share? I love my current Leki poles but they do not collapse far enough so I need another option.

Unless others have better ideas I was swinging towards the Six Moon Designs aluminium poles as it looks like I can get them locally and adapt them to the required size ...?

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products ... 0330129450
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 1:50 pm

lseries92 wrote:I am taking a trip on the bike late next month and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on some of the non-walking pole solutions for the 1P discussed previously in this thread or others people would like to share? I love my current Leki poles but they do not collapse far enough so I need another option.

Unless others have better ideas I was swinging towards the Six Moon Designs aluminium poles as it looks like I can get them locally and adapt them to the required size ...?

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products ... 0330129450

You need to work out the maximum folded length folded that fits with your packing system.

For cycle touring I have two ZPacks cf poles (https://zpacks.com/products/48-carbon-fiber-tent-pole) for my SMD Haven which have 5 folds and under 30 cm folded length (One of these works with my Solplex + a shorter cf pole) These seem to be about the shortest I have found. Other options is to make your own with cf tubing from aliexpress etc - something like 10 or 12mm (1mm wall) with 8 or 10mm for the ferrules.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 2:04 pm

What Mark said but take into account the fact that the longer the sections are the stronger the overall pole, and the taller a straight pole is the stronger it needs to be. 12mm CF should be more than adequate with 1mm wall thickness.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mikeRsyd » Sun 27 Sep, 2020 8:02 pm

One thing about my xmid 2p I noticed last night was the guy lines were Incorrectly tied thru the line locks, so the loop end is coming the wrong way and not locking into the groove and was slipping. I untied and rethreaded and it held fine.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lseries92 » Mon 28 Sep, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks Mark/Moondog

I have already worked out I can manage a length of 43cm/44cm although shorter is always nicer. I will look into making my own CF poles although by the looks it may be cheaper and quicker to go down the Six Moon Design poles route ...
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 29 Sep, 2020 10:21 am

Dan Durston is on ep #82, Backpacker Radio podcast
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Zapruda » Tue 29 Sep, 2020 12:42 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Dan Durston is on ep #82, Backpacker Radio podcast

Thanks Craig. Pretty interesting so far.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Wed 30 Sep, 2020 8:04 am

mikeRsyd wrote:One thing about my xmid 2p I noticed last night was the guy lines were Incorrectly tied thru the line locks, so the loop end is coming the wrong way and not locking into the groove and was slipping. I untied and rethreaded and it held fine.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Good tip thank you. I'll be sure to check mine when it arrives. :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 3:54 pm

Just noticed these are on Drop for $280 USD for the 2-person and $200 USD for the 1-person.
ChrisJHC

Postby Zapruda » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 4:08 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Just noticed these are on Drop for $280 USD for the 2-person and $200 USD for the 1-person.

That’s their normal price. Pretty mind blowing for what you get.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 4:09 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:So bush I went for the night, tufts of grass, lumpy,divetty, slightly sloping ground, the works. It was a nice looking pitch and withstood the wind beautifully, even though I hadn't guyed it out....

...I decided I will take the Xmid 1p from here on in if solo, I love it, it feels roomy inside and the smaller footprint better lends itself to squeezing into less optimal sites.

Umming and ah-ing+++
Will I try the 1P or 2P for myself? Of course I'd rather the smaller footprint and bulk and weight, but I'm a bit nervous about the rough campsites I tend to use more often these days. Here's an example, where I shared the space with button grass. there was enough width in the Akto to wrap around the side, but narrower...?

Muddy, were they decent sized tufts of grass you managed with? I'm used to plugging holes under my mat with things, but there are limits!
Attachments
DSC07079.jpg
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stry » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 3:24 pm

Tortoise, I don't remember my Akto being that wide. You must have the Luxury model. :) And you have done an excellent job of pitching it to keep the inner that high up. :)

The Akto is wider in the centre, but the 1P is wider at each end. Specified floor area gives the Akto maybe 10% more than the 1P.

Something that occurred to me is that the method of attachment of the X-Mid inner may enable it to be repositioned under the fly to at least partially compensate for lumps and bumps. Wouldn't be pretty inside, but shouldn't affect the fly pitch.

My X-mid is in transit somewhere so I can't test my theory, but maybe other owners can comment.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 06 Oct, 2020 3:48 pm

You can indeed tweak the tension of the inner from up high Stry, it does mitigate some of the issues caused by a lumpy pitch. Some extra shock cord for where it attaches to the corners could help, as would actually unhooking a corner for that matter if the lumps were significant, as you say, not pretty- but workable.

Tortoise, my grass was not quite that lumpy, it had snowed leading up to my trip last week, so everything was a bit more flattened. The grass I had the week before that on the Washpool/Gibraltar walk was another beast entirely, it was super sharp and very rigid at its root base. There was no pitching over it, so I managed to get the inner of the 2p just accommodated with tall tufts slotted in between the fly and the inner at one end and vestibule.

I have to own up to something. I flipping well tore the 2p fly. It is the second tent in the past month that has been injured in my care, although to be fair the other tent was torn by preteen girls being silly and not strictly speaking my fault. I was walking around as I packed up a few days ago and had my gaiters on already. Somehow, the hook at the front of my gaiters which was affixed to my shoes already, got caught on my tent fly causing me to trip over, with a sickening ripping sound as I fell. I had a metal hook and my full weight on it. I thought about patching it myself, but I like the tent too much so have sent it off for some professional TLC.
Attachments
_20190608_204852.jpg
_20190608_204852.jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Tue 06 Oct, 2020 6:46 pm

Poop :( :( (happens :) )

I have had a few "twang" moments but fortunately never caused any damage. Another person however did manage to trip and fall through my shelter in Central Asia many years ago, smashing the DAC pole but fortunately not tearing anything.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rosscodj » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 11:48 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I have to own up to something. I flipping well tore the 2p fly. ....

Ouuuuuchhhh! Hopefully the repair goes well. Looks like you tore it in the best spot, considering.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 12:34 pm

I think the durability of sil-poly is one of the very few downsides of this tent, definitely should be paired with a separate footprint in my opinion. I also agree that the cord in the line locs isn't much chop, will replace mine in due course. Otherwise really like it (I have the 2p). Its not for every trip but it will be a good general purpose (in between UL and heavy duty) shelter, to be honest will probably end up using it for the majority of trips.

On the topic of footprints... I reckon there's a market for someone local to Aus (eg. tier gear, TRG) to start producing footprints for the parallelogram shape of the inner floor. Yes I could cut one from tyvek myself but who can be bothered (and I lack the skill to do a decent job of tie outs etc.).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mookie » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 12:56 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:You can indeed tweak the tension of the inner from up high Stry, it does mitigate some of the issues caused by a lumpy pitch. Some extra shock cord for where it attaches to the corners could help, as would actually unhooking a corner for that matter if the lumps were significant, as you say, not pretty- but workable.

Tortoise, my grass was not quite that lumpy, it had snowed leading up to my trip last week, so everything was a bit more flattened. The grass I had the week before that on the Washpool/Gibraltar walk was another beast entirely, it was super sharp and very rigid at its root base. There was no pitching over it, so I managed to get the inner of the 2p just accommodated with tall tufts slotted in between the fly and the inner at one end and vestibule.

I have to own up to something. I flipping well tore the 2p fly. It is the second tent in the past month that has been injured in my care, although to be fair the other tent was torn by preteen girls being silly and not strictly speaking my fault. I was walking around as I packed up a few days ago and had my gaiters on already. Somehow, the hook at the front of my gaiters which was affixed to my shoes already, got caught on my tent fly causing me to trip over, with a sickening ripping sound as I fell. I had a metal hook and my full weight on it. I thought about patching it myself, but I like the tent too much so have sent it off for some professional TLC.

Oh no!
Best of luck with the repairs!!
Mookie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stry » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 4:39 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:I think the durability of sil-poly is one of the very few downsides of this tent, definitely should be paired with a separate footprint in my opinion. I also agree that the cord in the line locs isn't much chop, will replace mine in due course. Otherwise really like it (I have the 2p). Its not for every trip but it will be a good general purpose (in between UL and heavy duty) shelter, to be honest will probably end up using it for the majority of trips.

On the topic of footprints... I reckon there's a market for someone local to Aus (eg. tier gear, TRG) to start producing footprints for the parallelogram shape of the inner floor. Yes I could cut one from tyvek myself but who can be bothered (and I lack the skill to do a decent job of tie outs etc.).

I was having similar thoughts about duplicating the shape of the inner floor, but I don't think the shape of the foot print is that critical.

The covered area of the fly is a nice neat rectangle. Cut the Tyvek to fit the rectangle. 1P fly is 170cm wide. 2P is 223cm wide. 1443R Tyuvek is approx 150cm wide and Home Wrap approx 240.

I have cut 150 x 250 from 1443R. I don't have the X-mid yet, but that will protect most of the floor of the 2P except the corners, which probably aren't much at risk anyway. Also covers a bit of the vestibules, reducing any condensation coming from uncovered ground. Also have no experience with 1443R, so not sure whether it absorbs moisture or not, but if it isn't a success I'll simply go again with Home Wrap.

If the coverage is excessive, I can mark it in situ for trimming using the inner as a template. Rough enough, but good enough. The same F/P should be fine for both 1P and 2P.

Or, particularly for the 2P, Home Wrap could be used, with the 2400 roll width being used lengthwise, and the width could then be cut to be a bit better fit than the 1500 of 1443R. Again, trim corners if required.

Either way tie outs aren't necessary. Nice and professional looking :D , but not necessary.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 5:04 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Yes I could cut one from tyvek myself but who can be bothered (and I lack the skill to do a decent job of tie outs etc.).

I've made my own groundsheets for my hiking pole tents including my X-mid 1P. There's no need to make a parallelogram - a rectangular shape fits fine.

For my X-mid I've made my own groundsheet from Tyvek 1443r (the softer fabric like stuff), like stry.

For the corner tie outs, my no sew method uses a grommet/eyelet/washer and length of Gorilla tape and stanley knife or in later versions, just a length of Gorilla tape and a hole puncher.

Basically put the washer near the corner, and place then length of Gorilla tape over the washer on one side of your ground sheet and then fold it over on to the other side. Then feel out the hole of the washer and use a Stanley blade and cut out the hole. It looks like how I've reinforced the tie out holes on this blue tarp version viewtopic.php?f=53&t=30258

I've also made them without the washer as the Gorilla tape seems adequately strong.

I use a small loop of cord and a small cord lock at each corner. I use this quickly attach the corners of the ground sheet to the same guy line that connects the fly to the inner of the xMid. I just loop the cord lock over the guy line and cinch it up to secure it to the guy.

DIY groundsheet tieout.jpg
DIY groundsheet tieout.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 18087 times

I've tried leaving the DIY ground sheet and the fly/inner all connected when packed away, for easy of next setup. This does work, but is a little more fiddly as the ground sheet can get tangled with the inner if you stuff pack it like I do.

I have used the ground sheet together with the inner, or just with the fly.
keithy

Region: Other Country

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment