silkbody

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

silkbody

Postby stu » Wed 06 May, 2009 10:29 am

Anyone had any experience with the new (?) range of silk undergarments from the following:

http://www.silkbody.co.nz

Sounds like it would be pretty plush & comfortable against the skin, more so than pure merino (they seem to be a combo of silk/merino/cotton).
Pretty expensive unfortunately, but for that ultra-comfort factor....

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: silkbody

Postby photohiker » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 11:19 am

Sorry to dredge up an old thread...

I was thinking about this, mainly because of the odour factor on longer walks, but also because I have found the famous NZ merino brand to be too itchy next to my skin. (yes, I'm a wimp) :)

Anyway, the silkbody gear is even more outrageously expensive now, presumably because the cost of silk has gone up due to it's new found popularity.

Or has it?

I found another brand called 'Terramar' which is northern hemisphere centric, but can be bought relatively cheaply at Sierra Trading Post and possibly other outlets.

The have a dual-layer silk/wool version as well, which has generally positive reviews (Backpackgeartest.org), but hard to find for sale online.

Am I going to be the test mule for this, or has someone already come across it?

I'll probably buy a pair of each type. If it's cold, I'll sleep in the plain silk and use the dual layer during the day.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: silkbody

Postby casey79 » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:31 pm

I've used silkbody a fair bit and have become a fan of the stuff. It is very expensive but I think it is worth the price if you can nab it on sale.
I spent 4 weeks in Borneo and used a SS polo for most of the trip. Did the western Arthurs and wore the same shirt for the entire trip (11 days) washed it once with no issues. I also used the boxers on the same trip as well had a pair of silkbody and a macpac merino pair which i swapped over each day. Samething with only one wash and no chaffing at all. Weather was pretty hot as well.
casey79
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment